• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Big Lie: America Doesn't Have #1 Richest Middle-Class in the World...We're Ranked 27t

Re: Big Lie: America Doesn't Have #1 Richest Middle-Class in the World...We're Ranked

Once upon a time, American families with one earner could support a family, consume, and save, all while their incomes grew in line with corporate profit growth.

once upon a time, our money was backed by something of value and we saved up for things.

Re: Big Lie: America Doesn't Have #1 Richest Middle-Class in the World...We're Ranked

Some people live like that but others don't.

Well there are no precise rules for any group of two or more people. I still contend our middle class has issues, but I would also contend that one of the more important issues is the inability of too many working poor people to transition into the middle class. I do not think it is something that the federal government can fix because they look for one size fits all solutions that are based on some success somewhere that does not translate into most places. I think state and local governments can do a better job if they were given the money to work with.

The article "The Big Lie" is focused on the lack of income gains by the US middle class, spending is only touched on as a comparison to the lack of income gains.

I have the feeling you hardly read the article.

I have a feeling you don't understand how the they reached their conclusions.

the ranking is based heavily on wealth accumulation, which includes saving vs spending. The article completely ignored half the equation.

I guess the logical thing to do in this situation is cut benefits to the people and cut taxes on the wealthy right? :roll:

Big Lie: America Doesn't Have #1 Richest Middle-Class in the World...We're Ranked 27th! | Alternet

Nah, let's triple benefits to the poor and raise taxes on everyone that works by 100%. That'll fix everything. :roll: You geniuses haven't got a lick of common sense. Every single person on the Left thinks money grows on ****ing trees, and life is rainbows shooting out of the asses of unicorns!

Nah, let's triple benefits to the poor and raise taxes on everyone that works by 100%. That'll fix everything. :roll: You geniuses haven't got a lick of common sense. Every single person on the Left thinks money grows on ****ing trees, and life is rainbows shooting out of the asses of unicorns!

He speaks of unicorns and rainbows and then fabricates a fictional 100% tax increase. It's amazing.

Dude, you don't get to bitch about people living in a fantasy world while simultaneously making things up.

A ~3% increase in the top marginal tax bracket and these guys are screeching like it's the next coming of Stalin, I tell ya... *shakes head*

Last edited:

And as long as cons like you keep your heads in the sand and talk out your asses you can be sure no solutions will come from your side of the fence and you'll always have something to bitch about, even if you run out of audience.

I'm content with it. I know the history. The reason that countries want a middle class is because it supports growth and without that segment of society, the people become guided by ideologues who push for increasingly aggressive actions. This country will rip itself apart. No terrorist could ever do what we are trying to do to ourselves.

once upon a time, our money was backed by something of value and we saved up for things.

It's irrelevant what backs our money unless the lack of hard asset backing causes inflation, but yes, we no longer save money, and corporate America would collapse if we did.

they live.jpg

I really didn't think it was a point of contention that the middle class or whatever you want to call it is becoming poorer, shrinking, transitioning to the lower middle class / poverty. I thought the discussion would end up being why... Kind of hard to get a decent discussion going when the most basic fundamentals of an issue are denied, oh well I really don't care. Glad I'm not part of the middle class getting ****ed.

The value of gold is just as arbitrary as the value of a dollar. It's a shiny, soft rock with only minor industrial uses.

Credit is so old that they mention it in freaking religious texts.

The value of gold is just as arbitrary as the value of a dollar. It's a shiny, soft rock with only minor industrial uses.

Credit is so old that they mention it in freaking religious texts.

the value of babysitting is just as arbitrary as the value of gold. It is worth what the market says it is worth. The dollar requires the threat of force to have any value, so save your sophmorics for someone without a brain.

---------------------------

Once upon a time, American families with one earner could support a family, consume, and save, all while their incomes grew in line with corporate profit growth.

-----------------------

funny you don't critique that piece of brilliance.

When exactly did American families live so well with one earner?

Is it the period prior to the industrial revolution where kids worked to help provide a family and survival was difficult?

Is it the period of horrible economic depression that progressive politicians used for unprecedented expansion of power??

Was it in the 70's with rampant runaway inflation?

I'm curious when in the past these great times actually occured. The only thing I can come up with is an extremely small window of time in the 50's and 60's.

I guess the logical thing to do in this situation is cut benefits to the people and cut taxes on the wealthy right? :roll:

Big Lie: America Doesn't Have #1 Richest Middle-Class in the World...We're Ranked 27th! | Alternet

What do you think the chart means by "wealth?" Income? Net worth? How do you define middle class? How do you compare the middle classes of various countries? The problem is this piece is designed merely to focus on an ideology rather than a scientific analysis of the situation. The numbers may be meaningful or they may have been put together in such a way as to feed the ideology. Hard to say.

In a measure of total dollars made, this may in fact be true. But is that a true measure of "wealth"? Isn't a truer measure "buying power", that being how much someone can buy with the income they have? For example, a person in LA can make $60,000 a year and still not buy as much as a person in rural Texas who makes $30,000 a year. So in total dollars, someone might be 10 times higher than us, but have a cost of living 11 times higher, thus, even though they have more money, they actually have less true wealth.

Is this where I use capital letters, so I can post like you?

REFUTE ANYTHING I POSTED WITH A LINK.

:lamo
You already linked to your own article to the Sac Bee that used the Tax Foundation data that refuted you own claim.

Actually, that was just to prove how bogus the data people on the left use to try scam the public.

Your meme about the rich is a failure, which has been proven.

California has crushed the middle class here through the insane policies of the Progressive left. There is a reason cars are no longer manufactured here. There is a reason commercial aircraft production has all but left the state. There is a reason so many businesses have failed in this state.

Rather than being part of the problem, perhaps you could find out how to participate in the solution.

Something tells me the lack of handouts along that route would cause you to resist such a plan.
Achem...

CA manufacturing.JPG

I have a feeling you don't understand how the they reached their conclusions.

the ranking is based heavily on wealth accumulation, which includes saving vs spending. The article completely ignored half the equation.
The article hardly focused on the chart that you are singularly focused on. Reread the entire article and understand that it's main theme is the decline of the US middle class, on its own, not in comparison to other countries. You stopped at the chart, you never got past it.

The article hardly focused on the chart that you are singularly focused on. Reread the entire article and understand that it's main theme is the decline of the US middle class, on its own, not in comparison to other countries. You stopped at the chart, you never got past it.

the article spends the entire time looking at income gap between American's. it didn't once look at spending patterns compared to the other nations it compares us to, even though that was a factor in how the rankings were done.

it is your typical class warfare bull**** that liberals constantly engage in

the article spends the entire time looking at income gap between American's. it didn't once look at spending patterns compared to the other nations it compares us to, even though that was a factor in how the rankings were done.

it is your typical class warfare bull**** that liberals constantly engage in
FFS dude....the article in question DOES INCLUDE A CHART COMPARING US MIDDLE CLASS INCOME TO THE SAME CLASS IN OTHER COUNTRIES........THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN ARGUING OVER FOR ALL OF YOUR POSTS TILL NOW.....NOW SUDDENLY YOU CLAIM THAT IT HAD NO COMPARISONS TO OTHER COUNTRIES!!!!! WHO IN #$%^ IS TALKING ABOUT "SPENDING PATTERNS"????

Have you even read the article referenced in the OP at all?

GOOD GRIEF!

FFS dude....the article in question DOES INCLUDE A CHART COMPARING US MIDDLE CLASS INCOME TO THE SAME CLASS IN OTHER COUNTRIES........THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN ARGUING OVER FOR ALL OF YOUR POSTS TILL NOW.....NOW SUDDENLY YOU CLAIM THAT IT HAD NO COMPARISONS TO OTHER COUNTRIES!!!!! WHO IN #$%^ IS TALKING ABOUT "SPENDING PATTERNS"????

Have you even read the article referenced in the OP at all?

GOOD GRIEF!

good grief is right.

as I have said over and over, nowhere do they discuss spending patterns. they look exclusively at income, not spending. they only look at half the equation.

the big lie is we aren't #1, we are #27. #27 based on income, and spending.

good grief is right.

as I have said over and over, nowhere do they discuss spending patterns. they look exclusively at income, not spending. they only look at half the equation.

the big lie is we aren't #1, we are #27. #27 based on income, and spending.
No, not based on spending, but based on INCOME. You are the one complaining about spending and lack of savings. The article is about declining MC income, you want to blame the lack of income on....spending!

No, not based on spending, but based on INCOME. You are the one complaining about spending and lack of savings. The article is about declining MC income, you want to blame the lack of income on....spending!

the article is about the big lie. the big lie is about the how we are not as wealthy. wealth is defined by the value of assets-liabilities. it includes incomes and spending.

you don't even know what the **** the article is about. what a joke!

the article is about the big lie. the big lie is about the how we are not as wealthy. wealth is defined by the value of assets-liabilities. it includes incomes and spending.

you don't even know what the **** the article is about. what a joke!

"Is there one cause of the middle-class collapse that rises above all others?

Yes. The International Labor organization produced a remarkable study (Global Wage Report 2012-13) that sorts out the causes of why wages have remained stagnant while elite incomes have soared. The report compares key causal explanations like declining bargaining power of unions, porous social safety nets, globalization, new technologies and financialization. "

"Is there one cause of the middle-class collapse that rises above all others?

Yes. The International Labor organization produced a remarkable study (Global Wage Report 2012-13) that sorts out the causes of why wages have remained stagnant while elite incomes have soared. The report compares key causal explanations like declining bargaining power of unions, porous social safety nets, globalization, new technologies and financialization. "

show we where the ILO looked into spending patterns. Prove they didn't ignore the concept completely. the article doesn't mention one word about spending.

as I said right off the back, people in Australia spend more on property. They have larger houses. they also have a higher percentage of ocean front property. They engage in the type of activity that is beneficial to growing wealth.

We spend more on vacations. more on entertainment. these things are not good if you want to increase wealth. I see nowhere this is addressed. it is class warfare nonsense, and you sucked it up. shocking!

You already linked to your own article to the Sac Bee that used the Tax Foundation data that refuted you own claim.

I note that once again you refuse to post anything that refutes the facts I have presented.

I'm thinking you may not know how to dance.

Get some lessons and then get back to me.

And I imagine you think some graphs related to output has anything to do with the middle class?

Might you find some information that is relates to this decade? My facts were specific, and current to 2013.

I really don't understand why you persist.

Post ANYTHING RELEVANT, THAT REFUTES WHAT I HAVE POSTED.

Sorry about the caps, but it seems that is how you choose to communicate, and I want to respect that in you.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom