• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Big Freeze and Climate Change- Stupidity or cynicism?

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Using the big freeze to deny climate change... stupidity or cynicism?

Using the big freeze to deny climate change... stupidity or cynicism? | Michael M Mann | Opinion | The Guardian

The reaction to the polar vortex reminds us it is important to have a citizenry who can distinguish between scientific fact and fiction
Michael M Mann

Sat 2 Feb 2019

The winters of the early 1970s were very cold and snowy in the northeastern United States where I grew up – as elsewhere around the US and Europe. I remember snowfalls that came up to my chin (though, of course, I was only a few feet tall back then). We now call those “old-fashioned winters”, precisely because they have grown so rare as a consequence of – yes – global warming.

If you’re younger than I am (I became a demi-centenarian three years ago), those winters are likely to be outside the range of your experience. And so it may seem plausible to you that cold snaps, that in reality simply reflect the sort of weather that was commonplace just decades ago, might constitute “record” or “unprecedented” cold.

Such a myopic view of weather extremes can be exploited by those who look to cast doubt on the overwhelming scientific consensus behind human-caused climate change. Very much in that vein, Donald Trump recently asserted in a tweet about the cold spell in the midwest.

Wise words from a distinguished scientist.

Using the big freeze to deny climate change... stupidity or cynicism? | Michael M Mann | Opinion | The Guardian

How can we expect our species to be smart enough to collectively act to stop our ill advised CO2 warming experiment, when we have these idiots think a cold winter refutes a 150 year warming trend, and they control the government of most powerful nation in the world.

How can we expect our species to be smart enough to collectively act to stop our ill advised CO2 warming experiment, when we have these idiots think a cold winter refutes a 150 year warming trend, and they control the government of most powerful nation in the world.

You would first have to explain why a warming earth is a bad thing, then you would have to come up with what you think the optimal temperature should be, then tell me what you would suggest we do about it

You would first have to explain why a warming earth is a bad thing, then you would have to come up with what you think the optimal temperature should be, then tell me what you would suggest we do about it

So you’re gonna go with ‘abject ignorance’ then.

Sea level rise. Economists have actually calculated the cost of warming and it run in the trillions. Much of this due to desertification, increased hurricanes and storms, and especially sea level rise. If we lose the arctic ice, Florida and every major city is underwater.

You and I have had this "optimal temperature" discussion several times. How many before you manage to even remember?

Why don't you tell us why it's good? Do you think large swaths of the US being flooded by rising sea levels is good?

Big Freeze and Climate Change- Stupidity or cynicism?

i see it as a profound misunderstanding of the concept. generally, it's also willful.

The Earth gets too hot the rich should pay. The world gets too cold the rich should pay. When is the climate in the right place where the rich don't pay I wonder ?
Of course the rich should pay, who else has the money? Now, let's decide what "rich" is....

The Earth gets too hot the rich should pay. The world gets too cold the rich should pay. When is the climate in the right place where the rich don't pay I wonder ?

Look at this guy who thinks the world is getting colder

It's nonsense.

When an ice berg breaks free it is because it is melting. When we see it in the middle of the north Atlantic do we say, "hey look an ice berg, it was not here yesterday so the climate is getting colder?"

Even Trump is not as stupid as the stuff he says.

I'm heading towards seventy. I grew up in philly where we had winter, every winter, which included snow, lot's of snow. I remember a storm in the seventies I had to abandon my car about a mile and a half from home, with all the other abandoned cars. Climate change is real but monied interests are only concerned with profits and will feed gullible folks a ton of statistical bullcrap to keep the doubt that it's real alive. Money, it's all for money.

Guess you’ll just pretend that your question wasn’t answered.

Ok :roll:

Interesting how it only seems to affect "people of color" and this is the excuse nothing is being done about it. Always a racial angle. :lol:

You and I have had this "optimal temperature" discussion several times. How many before you manage to even remember?

I dont recall that. So what was the answer?

Ok :roll:

Interesting how it only seems to affect "people of color" and this is the excuse nothing is being done about it. Always a racial angle. :lol:

Again... guess your question about where flooding is happening was just posturing.

Now somehow youre whining about race.

Back
Top Bottom