• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bidens Response

Biden and the democrats are screwed. There is no way Americans are going to support $5+ dollar gas. Had the invasion happened a week or two before the 2022 elections his actions might have been viewed favorably by the electorate. But 6 months from now the American voter is going to be PO'd about higher prices and that can only help the GOP. If there is one thing everyone is politics must remember it's "The economy, stupid".
How are Republicans going to lower gas prices? Besides destroying the planet to allow every bit of drilling?

4 days ago I would have disagreed. Biden talked big. Then when it came to show time, he backed down. Russia, China and the world saw it. We didn't even use harsh sanctions.
What harsh sanctions would you have imposed that are not being imposed?

This is one of those, "Don't tell me about my reality" things, isn't it?

The reality is that Trump was rather effective, though not particularly pretty, with foreign policy. The fact that half the world stuck their fingers in their ears and ran around screaming, "NoNoNoNoNo!" the minute it looked like he was going to open his mouth is where the problems were. It was the insane reaction to Trump, not Trump himself, that was the problem and now you've got some cuckold POS in office that Putin has decided to make his bitch. Again, congratulations, you won.

trump's isolationist policy and coddling of Putin helped us get to this point in the first place. Now NATO is united, and Putin knows he dare not invade any NATO country.

This is one of those, "Don't tell me about my reality" things, isn't it?

The reality is that Trump was rather effective, though not particularly pretty, with foreign policy. The fact that half the world stuck their fingers in their ears and ran around screaming, "NoNoNoNoNo!" the minute it looked like he was going to open his mouth is where the problems were. It was the insane reaction to Trump, not Trump himself, that was the problem and now you've got some cuckold POS in office that Putin has decided to make his bitch. Again, congratulations, you won.

Again - Trump was Putin's bitch long before Biden was. You seem to be stuck on the idea that if Biden is weak on Russia that automatically makes Trump strong. Your logic is broken.

4 days ago I would have disagreed. Biden talked big. Then when it came to show time, he backed down. Russia, China and the world saw it. We didn't even use harsh sanctions.
Only way you hurt Russia is sanctioning their oil/gas sector and barring them from the SWIFT system. So far, every major country has ******d out hard when it comes to either.

Many Americans seem to be of the opinion that the US can move unilaterally with regards to international sanctions such their oil/gas and SWIFT but they can't! The consequences to European countries economies would be almost as punishing to the Europeans as to the Russians and believe it or not they get a big say on what and when international sanctions are placed on Russia. NATO is united more than ever before and that alliance must be preserved to ensure European security and stability. The arrogance is astounding.

I don't know how to do the eye roll emote but please picture it here.

Dear god, just stop already. We do NOT want to get into nuclear war. It would make the invasion of Ukraine look like child's play.

What harsh sanctions would you have imposed that are not being imposed?

We did nothing to block them from Swift.
We did not sanction Putin.
We choose to freeze (temp) not seize assets.
We choose to continue buying Russian oil.
We are not sanctioning his family.

That would be a start.

Dear god, just stop already. We do NOT want to get into nuclear war. It would make the invasion of Ukraine look like child's play.

So again we are simply back to "let russia do what they want and just publicly cry about it because we are scared of them".

Explain to me how that is not what you are stating here.

Well, I guess that those (reputed) 80,000,000 Americans felt that the lesser of two evils was Mr. Biden.

If anyone is to be blamed, it is the Dem primary voters who came aboard the Biden bandwagon after South Carolina.

Before those ladies in that state made their fateful decision to support Mr. Biden, he was considered by most Dems as a joke.

Another stupid post. (Reputed). FFS when will people stop with the idiot posts showing that they think Trump won the election?

Get over Trump's loss. He wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire and you continuously whore yourself for him (when you aren't showing your racist tendencies).

How does it not show that he is weak? I'm passed the point of "looking" weak. He is. He is scared of Putin.

As a country we said there would be severe consequences if Russia invaded. Russia invaded. We did almost nothing. How does it not look weak to threaten, have your bluff called, and back down? How is that not embarrassing as a country? Putin is showing that the US does not matter.

Magic fix? Actually stand up to Russia. Its not even magic. We could end this. Instead we are standing by and watching as an adult beats a child to death. This is the most cowardly thing I can remember America doing. We didn't even use harsh sanctions. We slapped the wrist.

If the US doesn't want to be a world leader - then we should step off. But talking big and backing down is bullshit. Watching kids and civilians get murdered because we're scared of Putin is pathetic.
by doing what - specifically?

trump's isolationist policy and coddling of Putin helped us get to this point in the first place. Now NATO is united, and Putin knows he dare not invade any NATO country.
Yet. Not until Russia has taken Ukraine and other countries, formed further bonds with China and others, and continues to grow stronger. Then they can invade Nato countries. But hey, we can condemn it online at least. That will help. At least we have our holes to hide in from big scary Russia.

So again we are simply back to "let russia do what they want and just publicly cry about it because we are scared of them".

Explain to me how that is not what you are stating here.

^ More Dunning-Kruger. You've already made it clear that you have no clue how horrifying nuclear war would be and why it should be avoided at all costs. You don't need to keep reminding us.

How does it not show that he is weak? I'm passed the point of "looking" weak. He is. He is scared of Putin.

As a country we said there would be severe consequences if Russia invaded. Russia invaded. We did almost nothing. How does it not look weak to threaten, have your bluff called, and back down? How is that not embarrassing as a country? Putin is showing that the US does not matter.

Magic fix? Actually stand up to Russia. Its not even magic. We could end this. Instead we are standing by and watching as an adult beats a child to death. This is the most cowardly thing I can remember America doing. We didn't even use harsh sanctions. We slapped the wrist.

If the US doesn't want to be a world leader - then we should step off. But talking big and backing down is bullshit. Watching kids and civilians get murdered because we're scared of Putin is pathetic.
Kreton, over and over again you criticize but have yet to offer any tangible solutions. You say Biden is weak but offer no actual actions that are available to Biden to take that he has not taken. What exactly would you do? You made your point with words, then show us with exact and detailed words the actions that you feel he should have done. Don't just say "be strong or talk bigger" but what would you do? Attack him militarily? Send troops to Ukraine? Request a meeting with Putin and beat him to a pulp physically? Talk big (we will crush you Putin)? What?

Yet. Not until Russia has taken Ukraine and other countries, formed further bonds with China and others, and continues to grow stronger. Then they can invade Nato countries. But hey, we can condemn it online at least. That will help. At least we have our holes to hide in from big scary Russia.

Russia is not invading NATO countries. Jesus, did you start watching Fox "News" all of a sudden??

Another stupid post. (Reputed). FFS when will people stop with the idiot posts showing that they think Trump won the election?

Get over Trump's loss. He wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire and you continuously whore yourself for him (when you aren't showing your racist tendencies).

Don't you love being laysplained to by people who are obviously too young to have lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis, or at least refuse to do their homework on it?

EDIT: you were going for something else, but yeah that too. It's hard to keep all this trolling straight.

I agree with the OP, Biden has been over-stating what he can / will do, when the reality is that we don't have a hugely meaningful trade relationship with Russia, the EU will not wreck their own economies to penalize Russia, and even if they did, China would offset much of the pain from Russia's point of view.

It was arrogant / showboating to even state that there would be 'harsh consequences' or however Biden put it. The truth was, if Russia invaded the most we were ever going to do was give them a stern talking to.

That said I'd still rather take Biden's finger waving at Putin vs. Trump's cheerleader dance for him.

I don't get what people think Biden could do other than he has at this point. This is not like taking out Osama bin Laden or Suddam Hussein, they were barely more than third world countries with no military to speak of. The reality is that no one can stop Putin and he knows it just like no one could stop us from taking Mexico or Canada if we wanted to. As Hitler found out, you can't win a ground war in Russia and that's true today as well. This war would be fought by lobbing rockets at each other, did you expect Biden to start there?

What I think needs to happen is for Biden to reverse his positions on leases to drill for crude on federal lands and replace the 7% of our crude that comes from Russia immediately. We then need to cut off ALL trade with Russia and get as many of our allies to do the same but that will be difficult because so many depend on them for the crude they get. Then we need to send aid to our allies in eastern Europe to prevent Putin from going further than the Ukraine. What we don't know is how much of this is already being put in place behind the scenes. Ukraine will most likely need to be sacrificed so we and our allies can regroup and stop him from spreading his influence further.

How are Republicans going to lower gas prices? Besides destroying the planet to allow every bit of drilling?
The Republicans don't have to lower prices. They have to complain about Biden's war and the way he handled it, just like Afghanistan. You show me an opposing politician that can't use a bad econnomy to their advantage and I will show you a person that should not be in politics. BTW maybe the GOP will have a "secret" plan to fix gas prices. That strategy worked before for them remember?;

"He (Nixon) in fact made a last-minute attempt to salvage his own (1968) campaign by stating that he had a secret plan to win the war in Vietnam but that he could not say what it was. Nixon wanted to make it clear that he was the only one who could secure peace so that not only the American people would vote for him,"

FYI in case you are too young to remember the above really did happen and the American voter chose Nixon over Humphrey. Of course the secret plan was BS but it worked to get Nixon elected.

The Republicans don't have to lower prices. They have to complain about Biden's war and the way he handled it, just like Afghanistan. You show me an opposing politician that can't use a bad econnomy to their advantage and I will show you a person that should not be in politics. BTW maybe the GOP will have a "secret" plan to fix gas prices. That strategy worked before for them remember?;

"He (Nixon) in fact made a last-minute attempt to salvage his own (1968) campaign by stating that he had a secret plan to win the war in Vietnam but that he could not say what it was. Nixon wanted to make it clear that he was the only one who could secure peace so that not only the American people would vote for him,"

FYI in case you are too young to remember the above really did happen and the American voter chose Nixon over Humphrey. Of course the secret plan was BS but it worked to get Nixon elected.

That wasn't why Nixon won, but that's a discussion for another day.

I'm not referring to the politics, I'm referring to the rational response voters should have. Yes, I'm familiar with Nixon's lie of a 'secret plan'. At his first national security meeting, he told his advisors he wanted them to come up with ideas. The closest there was to a 'secret plan' was his plot with Kissinger to convince North Vietnam he was nuts and would use nukes, which they didn't fall for.

I don't get what people think Biden could do other than he has at this point. This is not like taking out Osama bin Laden or Suddam Hussein, they were barely more than third world countries with no military to speak of. The reality is that no one can stop Putin and he knows it just like no one could stop us from taking Mexico or Canada if we wanted to. As Hitler found out, you can't win a ground war in Russia and that's true today as well. This war would be fought by lobbing rockets at each other, did you expect Biden to start there?

What I think needs to happen is for Biden to reverse his positions on leases to drill for crude on federal lands and replace the 7% of our crude that comes from Russia immediately. We then need to cut off ALL trade with Russia and get as many of our allies to do the same but that will be difficult because so many depend on them for the crude they get. Then we need to send aid to our allies in eastern Europe to prevent Putin from going further than the Ukraine. What we don't know is how much of this is already being put in place behind the scenes. Ukraine will most likely need to be sacrificed so we and our allies can regroup and stop him from spreading his influence further.

Drilling in the Arctic is not what we need to do. If natural gas prices rise high enough, then domestic fracking will resume.

And people need to learn to conserve. We have way too many gas-guzzlers on the road. Those who drive Priuses are going to get hit much less hard by rising gas prices than those who drive big SUVs.

So you voted for the Democrats in the first election after the average price of gas rose to over $4 a gallon while Bush was President, because it was Bush's fault, right?

So you voted for the Democrats in the first election after the average price of gas rose to over $4 a gallon while Bush was President, because it was Bush's fault, right?
No. I voted 3rd party. What about you?

If we really want to make Russia 'pay' then we take advantage of the situation and figure out how to meet Europe's natural gas demand ourselves.

I'm not referring to the politics, I'm referring to the rational response voters should have. Yes, I'm familiar with Nixon's lie of a 'secret plan'. At his first national security meeting, he told his advisors he wanted them to come up with ideas. The closest there was to a 'secret plan' was his plot with Kissinger to convince North Vietnam he was nuts and would use nukes, which they didn't fall for.
I think we both share common ground. History shows politicians don't have to have a real plan to solve anything. They just need to convince a majority of voters in key states that the other person is worse for the country. Lies and more lies seems to be path we have chosen to follow. Not my path, but it's out there.

Back
Top Bottom