• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden's Popularity is Down to 33%: Quinnipiac

Serious question: why would someone believe government can do a good job ending poverty when it spends at least 26 times more than is needed to end poverty every year and doesn’t end poverty?
We have three co-equal branches of Government as last resort. I wouldn't mind using the equivalent to consumer complaint or suggestion boxes.

I made lite of the situation, but in reality my cat only eats Friskies extra gravy with chunks. Finding it can be a challenge. But no matter how difficult searching some out might be I've never once seriously considered that the POTUS could, in any way, be even remotely responsible for it.

I thought my cat was picky, but at least he will eat any of the Friskies with shreds and gravy (well, except for those with cheese). As for blame on Biden, I don't suppose one can hold him responsible for any of the shortages. But in regard to cat food, I do wonder why this particular brand is in such short supply.

I thought my cat was picky, but at least he will eat any of the Friskies with shreds and gravy (well, except for those with cheese). As for blame on Biden, I don't suppose one can hold him responsible for any of the shortages. But in regard to cat food, I do wonder why this particular brand is in such short supply.

Of course you pick the one poll with the lowest number and only a sample size of 1,300.
Other polls have him as high as 50%.

We have three co-equal branches of Government as last resort. I wouldn't mind using the equivalent to consumer complaint or suggestion boxes.
I don’t understand your point.

We have something like “suggestion boxes”, it’s called “elections”.

We keep electing people who spend vastly more money than is necessary to solve poverty and don’t solve poverty.

For example, many of us remember the dark days of 2008 when the Federal government spent about $3 trillion per year.

Now, the Federal government spends about $6 trillion per year. Keeping in mind the math I did earlier, that it takes about $350 billion to solve poverty, the Federal spending increase since 2008 alone was enough solve poverty about 8 times over. Was poverty solved? Is it even better than it was? Where did that extra $3 trillion per year go?

I don’t understand your point.

We have something like “suggestion boxes”, it’s called “elections”.

We keep electing people who spend vastly more money than is necessary to solve poverty and don’t solve poverty.

For example, many of us remember the dark days of 2008 when the Federal government spent about $3 trillion per year.

Now, the Federal government spends about $6 trillion per year. Keeping in mind the math I did earlier, that it takes about $350 billion to solve poverty, the Federal spending increase since 2008 alone was enough solve poverty about 8 times over. Was poverty solved? Is it even better than it was? Where did that extra $3 trillion per year go?
In my opinion, Academia could be researching Pareto Optimums for any given policy. What is your opinion of ensuring Post "mass transit and mass storage" can scale up to lower costs to the private sector?

That's not what I've read.

Your link is from 2019.

It states the statistics in a very confusing and convoluted way:

"In our analysis, over half of low-wage workers have levels of education suggesting they will stay low-wage workers. This includes 20 million workers ages 25-64 with a high school diploma or less, and another seven million young adults 18-24 who are not in school and do not have a college degree."

So, it sounds like there are 27 million times 2 = 54 million. Yes?

27 million are transitioning out of the low wage categories. 27 million are thought by the author to be trapped in the low wage category, but 7 million of that number are are young and presumably will transition out of that category.

That leaves the 20 million folks trapped in their low wage category. 20 million of 330 million is 6% of the whole.

The wage they cite in the article is about $18,000/year in 2019 and is presumably higher right now.

The average Social Security check issued in 2021 annualized to $17,244.

https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/average-monthly-social-security-check/

It would be nice if EVERYONE earned Elon Musk type of money, but we just don't.

Last edited:
Your link is from 2019.

"In our analysis, over half of low-wage workers have levels of education suggesting they will stay low-wage workers. This includes 20 million workers ages 25-64 with a high school diploma or less, and another seven million young adults 18-24 who are not in school and do not have a college degree."

27 million are transitioning out of the low wage categories. 27 million are thought by the author to be trapped in the low wage category, but 7 million of that number are are young and presumably will transition out of that category.

That leaves the 20 million folks trapped in their low wage category. 20 million of 330 million is 6% of the whole.

The wage they cite in the article is about $18,000/year in 2019 and is presumably higher right now.

Here's another article from 2019... You know.. right before the pandemic began... You stated: "Poverty is not a thing that routinely afflicts those in the US that earn wages"
This article illustrates your statement was false.

In my opinion, Academia could be researching Pareto Optimums for any given policy. What is your opinion of ensuring Post "mass transit and mass storage" can scale up to lower costs to the private sector?

I tend toward the view that modern government mostly gets in the way of achieving Pareto optimal outcomes.

At least once it gets beyond enforcing private property rights and mutually voluntary transactions.

Markets with transparent pricing do a far better job of driving efficient and Pareto optimal allocation of resources.

Your link is from 2019.

Yet, unequal protection of the laws for the Poor is Institutional while corporate welfare even pays multimillion dollar bonuses for the Rich.

I tend toward the view that modern government mostly gets in the way of achieving Pareto optimal outcomes.

At least once it gets beyond enforcing private property rights and mutually voluntary transactions.

Markets with transparent pricing do a far better job of driving efficient and Pareto optimal allocation of resources.
Are you on the right-wing? Right-wingers only believe that when it is about a profit motive, not their bigotry or fascism.

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

An automatic mechanism via public policy that helps legislators stabilize our economy without needing to micromanage it or appear to be pandering to constituents.

I know of no such public policy.

The Federal Reserve seems to want us to believe they do this with the currency, but they seem to be politically driven and often seem to be disconnected for reality.

I know of no such public policy.

The Federal Reserve seems to want us to believe they do this with the currency, but they seem to be politically driven and often seem to be disconnected for reality.
All laws of a general nature shall have uniform operation.

Here's another article from 2019... You know.. right before the pandemic began... You stated: "Poverty is not a thing that routinely afflicts those in the US that earn wages"
This article illustrates your statement was false.

Your fist source cited a level of about 6%.

This source cites a level of about 10%.

In either case, using your own statistics, "Poverty is not a thing that routinely afflicts those in the US that earn wages".

1 in 10 is not routine as I think of what the word means.

Perhaps I have the wrong impression of what routine means.

Perhaps I have the wrong impression of what routine means.
Routine means a sequence of actions regularly followed. Since poverty is something that effects some lower wage earners with regularity, it is something that routinely effects lower wage workers.

Are you on the right-wing? Right-wingers only believe that when it is about a profit motive, not their bigotry or fascism.

I’ve taken many economics courses. And understood them. I guess these days saying things you might learn in an economics course gets you called a “fascist".

Yet, unequal protection of the laws for the Poor is Institutional while corporate welfare even pays multimillion dollar bonuses for the Rich.

What sort of "protection" do you feel would be equal?

In what way(s) exactly would the protection you envision be manifested in the real world?

I’ve taken many economics courses. And understood them. I guess these days saying things you might learn in an economics course gets you called a “fascist".
Unequal protection of the laws is what causes (simple) poverty in our republic.

Equal protection of our at-will employment laws for unemployment compensation in our at-will employment States could solve simple poverty in our republic in a market friendly manner that helps automatically stabilize our economy by solving for the deleterious capital effects of Capitalism's natural rate of unemployment.

One study claimed to have observed a multiplier of two for that public policy.

As a form of "minimum wage" it is much simpler since we could simply raise the minimum wage to raise more tax revenue when necessary. And, our economy would function more efficiently.

Routine means a sequence of actions regularly followed. Since poverty is something that effects some lower wage earners with regularity, it is something that routinely effects lower wage workers.

Why did you amputate a shred of my thought and present it as if it was the whole thought?

What sort of "protection" do you feel would be equal?

In what way(s) exactly would the protection you envision be manifested in the real world?
The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

At-will employment is generally described as follows: "any hiring is presumed to be 'at will'; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals 'for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all,' and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work."

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

That means requiring Cause in an at-will employment State is extra-Constitutional.

Why did you amputate a shred of my thought and present it as if it was the whole thought?
Look, poverty regularly effects some lower wage workers. If you don't agree, fine.

Back
Top Bottom