• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden's health care plan

Yet once again he has no way to pay for it and all of this free stuff is going to cost me an arm and a leg and i get 0 advantage out of it.
I really wish democrats would spend their own money instead of mine.

I am frankly sick of it.

Can't figure out the advantage to you of cheaper drugs, care, and premiums?

Yet once again he has no way to pay for it and all of this free stuff is going to cost me an arm and a leg and i get 0 advantage out of it.
I really wish democrats would spend their own money instead of mine.

I am frankly sick of it.

Then are you sick of Trump? The reason I ask is Trump has yet signed a balanced budget since he has been in office. One could conclude if he signed the spending Bill passed by the House and Senate he must be ok with it.

Quit making it a partisan issue. You and I both know that Republicans in office spend more than the Feds bring in. It is just for different programs..

Where is Trump's health plan he promised that would be out within two weeks. Seems he missed that deadline and is not mentioning it now.

Can't figure out the advantage to you of cheaper drugs, care, and premiums?

Not when they don't apply to me nope. Not when doing so is going to cost me more in taxes.
I don't see the benefit. if you can explain it to me i would love to hear it.

Then are you sick of Trump? The reason I ask is Trump has yet signed a balanced budget since he has been in office. One could conclude if he signed the spending Bill passed by the House and Senate he must be ok with it.

Quit making it a partisan issue. You and I both know that Republicans in office spend more than the Feds bring in. It is just for different programs..

Where is Trump's health plan he promised that would be out within two weeks. Seems he missed that deadline and is not mentioning it now.

Your whataboutism is noted and dismissed.

Some handy cliff notes on Biden's health care plan from HMA this week. The highlights:

More competition via a public option:

More generous premium subsidies to increase affordability:

Better functioning health care provider markets:

Checks on pharma's pricing power:

All-in-all, a pretty solid and straightforward Dem approach to protecting and building on the Affordable Care Act, doubling down on affordability and increasing coverage. Very much in line with the health care agenda the House Dems have been pushing in recent years.

And a sharp contrast with Trump's non-agenda on health care, which seems to be limited largely to throwing out the ACA and bringing back pre-existing conditions.

As usual, no one offers up a plan to actually get at the root causes of the cost of healthcare. It's always the top down approach, stiff providers with less money and charge the rest to Uncle Sam's credit card.

Worth remembering that ten years ago the net costs of the Affordable Care Act were projected based on assumptions on how much the new spending would cost, how much the savings (primarily in Medicare) would be, and what revenue the new taxes in it would bring in. Based on that, the ACA was projected at that time to be a net reducer of the deficit.

Ten years later we know that the costs of the ACA came in well below expectations and the savings came in well above expectations.

For example, the crafters of the ACA assumed hundreds of billions of dollars in savings in Medicare relative to the pre-ACA baseline. As it turns out, Medicare spending at the end of the ten-year budget window last year was more than ten percent below those projections that had already factored in the savings. You can see that across the board we're spending less on every aspect of health care than what people were promising a decade ago.

2019 Annual Health Expenditures By Payer: 2019 Projections Compared To 2010 Pre-And Post-ACA Projections
Exhbit1.png

So even before you start thinking about new revenues, it's remembering that there's a lot of room for additional spending even within the financial envelop of the original law. Had they known ten years ago how much health care cost growth would slow down after the ACA passed, they would've been more generous in its design from the start.
I think this is a very useful way of looking at the issue, and a well thought out post. Thank you.

Lets see...where have we heard this before.

Lower costs, you can keep your doctors, you can keep your coverage, affordable care for all......

Wealth redistribution, but they say they aren't communists.

So taxes are "Communist" too? There are no real communists left in the world so you want to create them by changing the definition?

Here it is! Oh, wait...

Lets see...where have we heard this before.

Lower costs, you can keep your doctors, you can keep your coverage, affordable care for all......

Insurance companies decide whether you can keep your doctor not the Govt. So you must want to get rid of them right?

I think this is a very useful way of looking at the issue, and a well thought out post. Thank you.

The degree to which the costs of the Affordable Care Act (and, indeed, all health care costs in the country) are--substantially!--below what anybody expected ten years ago is an amazing untold story of the past decade. The official line back then was that national health spending would be pushed up over $300 billion relative to the baseline in the first ten years; in reality, we saved $2.7 trillion in national health costs relative to that baseline.

Even the most in-the-tank pro-Obamacare boosters would've laughed you out of the room if you had predicted a decade ago what actually ended up happening.

Biden's plan is "Make middle class people pay more for marketplace insurance so deadbeats get more free stuff."

No.

Seems like he wants to give more tax credits to middle class folks so they can better afford to buy their own insurance. Are they deadbeats?

Not when they don't apply to me nope. Not when doing so is going to cost me more in taxes.
I don't see the benefit. if you can explain it to me i would love to hear it.

Where do we live, The United States of Ludin? If it doesn't improve Ludin's existence, why would Congress vote for it and the President sign the bill into law?

Insurance companies decide whether you can keep your doctor not the Govt. So you must want to get rid of them right?

Everyone can still go to the same doctor (if he/she is still alive and practicing). Whether the bill is in part or whole funded by insurance that is com[pliant with the ACA is between the insurer and the doctor. If the doctor refuses to abide by the insurance company's pricing structures, then the doctor is not covered in the insurance plan. That's more the doctor's fault than Obama's fault. But you can still go to see your doctor and continue to pay his/her exorbitant fees.

Everyone can still go to the same doctor (if he/she is still alive and practicing). Whether the bill is in part or whole funded by insurance that is com[pliant with the ACA is between the insurer and the doctor. If the doctor refuses to abide by the insurance company's pricing structures, then the doctor is not covered in the insurance plan. That's more the doctor's fault than Obama's fault. But you can still go to see your doctor and continue to pay his/her exorbitant fees.

And the same goes for plans they are purely under the control of the insurers. Obama did not throw anyone off their plan. In fact the ACA was written so insurers could grandfather their customers in if they wanted. They decided against it in many cases. Most likely to make a "liar" out of Obama.

And the same goes for plans they are purely under the control of the insurers. Obama did not throw anyone off their plan. In fact the ACA was written so insurers could grandfather their customers in if they wanted. They decided against it in many cases. Most likely to make a "liar" out of Obama.
When I was on Active Duty, I didn't get to pick my doctor. When I was a State employee, I had one plan. That plan has since been absorbed by another provider. When I was DA Civilian, I actually got to keep my doctor - until he retired. When I retired, I had to find a new doctor/plan because I have Tricare and my old provider doesn't take Tricare. I have a different doctor at the VA. There are all kinds of reasons one has to get a new doctor, but the ACA is rarely it.

Cute attempt at a diversion from the outright lie your idiot leftist leader sold you and that you blindly and obediently swallowed like a good little rat supporter.

Cute attempt at a diversion from the outright lie your idiot leftist leader sold you and that you blindly and obediently swallowed like a good little rat supporter.
As opposed the outright blatant lie you're trying to promulgate now. Interesting one can cram 3 fallacies into a single sentence. That must take practice.

I'm hoping a public option becomes a reality. I'm thankful I have healthcare, but my employer has changed plans often resulting in having to change my doctor every few years. Will have to change again this year, really like the one I have currently.

Some handy cliff notes on Biden's health care plan from HMA this week. The highlights:

More competition via a public option:

More generous premium subsidies to increase affordability:

Better functioning health care provider markets:

Checks on pharma's pricing power:

All-in-all, a pretty solid and straightforward Dem approach to protecting and building on the Affordable Care Act, doubling down on affordability and increasing coverage. Very much in line with the health care agenda the House Dems have been pushing in recent years.

And a sharp contrast with Trump's non-agenda on health care, which seems to be limited largely to throwing out the ACA and bringing back pre-existing conditions.
He hits all the talking points, doesn't he. Having a "public option" is just short hand for government run healthcare - kinda like the post office with tongue depressors.

Seems like he wants to give more tax credits to middle class folks so they can better afford to buy their own insurance. Are they deadbeats?

No he wants to give them tax credits to so they cheer when it passes and then labor under the weight of skyrocketing premiums when the bills start coming. Been there, done that. That was why Trump won the rustbelt. Several of those states got jacked up premium notices right before the election.

Were you mad when the insurance companies threw people off their plans or not?

No he wants to give them tax credits to so they cheer when it passes and then labor under the weight of skyrocketing premiums when the bills start coming. Been there, done that. That was why Trump won the rustbelt. Several of those states got jacked up premium notices right before the election.

What is Trump doing to keep premiums down then? Rising medical costs are the reason for rising premiums.

Biden's healthcare plan doesn't go far enough toward extending cover to all.

Trump's plan is to abolish as much healthcare as he can.

So, meh.

Back
Top Bottom