• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden will withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021

The Biden administration's best option would be to just continue what Trump has already done and bring the troops home sooner. No delays necessary.
I'd almost buy that about (S/I/T) Trump's handling of Afghanistan except he had 4 years to gradually bring troops home and completely be out of there. Now Biden appears to be working out newer details (under 9 months?) for our troops to depart Afghanistan. If we leave active footprints (mercenaries, private war related companies, etc.) behind, then problems there that includes us and our allies will still linger forth.

We should open our doors to them and their families as far as I am concerned. They can and should be offered a fast-track to citizenship.
That's a civil idea to ponder. More interesting will be the GOP's reaction to that proposal.

I doubt it.

I totally support pulling out. The only way that we'd stop the Taliban from retaking the country is via a permanent presence. And I'm not for that.

I know you're not racist but that is. They're people just like us and capable of everything we're capable of. All they need is liberation from tyranny.

To pretend brown people can't handle democracy and human rights is a racist notion. You think gay people want to be executed? You think women want to be property? No. Not anywhere in the world. Because everywhere people are people.

Isn't Afghanistan said to be where Empires go to die? When nothing will change in that country, maybe it's best to leave them be. I do hope that their poor struggling population will find ways to move forward after next Sept.

Biden will withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021 (msn.com)
View attachment 67328394
Officially, there are 2,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, although the number fluctuates and is currently about 1,000 more than that. There are also up to an additional 7,000 foreign forces in the coalition there, the majority of them NATO troops.

Biden’s decision comes after an administration review of U.S. options in Afghanistan, where U.S.-midwived peace talks have failed to advance as hoped and the Taliban remains a potent force despite two decades of effort by the United States to defeat the militants and establish stable, democratic governance. The war has cost trillions of dollars in addition to the lives of more than 2,000 U.S. service members and at least 100,000 Afghan civilians.

Two things there are ineresting:
1. How the media will suck Biden off for pulling us out right after blasting Trump for planning to pull us out.

2. Tactically, there is a terrible time to make moves, unless he literally has it planned to have everyone out before 11 Sept. There is usually an increase in attacks on the anniversary of 11 Sep and it's not when you want troop movement to happen.

We should open our doors to them and their families as far as I am concerned. They can and should be offered a fast-track to citizenship.

If only our history was like what you suggest.

I know you're not racist but that is. They're people just like us and capable of everything we're capable of. All they need is liberation from tyranny.

To pretend brown people can't handle democracy and human rights is a racist notion. You think gay people want to be executed? You think women want to be property? No. Not anywhere in the world. Because everywhere people are people.

Alexander the Great
British Empire
USSR
USA

Hell, I missed five others

Definitely, its the least we could do.

1. How the media will suck Biden off for pulling us out right after blasting Trump for planning to pull us out.
2. Tactically, there is a terrible time to make moves, unless he literally has it planned to have everyone out before 11 Sept. There is usually an increase in attacks on the anniversary of 11 Sep and it's not when you want troop movement to happen.
Had you taken the time to read the statement you'd know that 9/11 is the deadline, but they plan on being out well before that date.

"That withdrawal may be completed well in advance of September 11th. But that is the outside date by which it will be completed. And, as I said, it will begin before May 1. It will be completed over the course of that next period and no later than the 20th anniversary of 9/11, but potentially a meaningful amount of time before then."​

You'll have to find some other reason for objecting. Doubtless the GOP spin machine will conjure some up soon.

Had you taken the time to read the statement you'd know that 9/11 is the deadline, but they plan on being out well before that date.

"That withdrawal may be completed well in advance of September 11th. But that is the outside date by which it will be completed. And, as I said, it will begin before May 1. It will be completed over the course of that next period and no later than the 20th anniversary of 9/11, but potentially a meaningful amount of time before then."​

You'll have to find some other reason for objecting. Doubtless the GOP spin machine will conjure some up soon.

Now why would Trump‘s party not want troops coming home? Why would that be?

Wow. Did I upset you in some other post somewhere? Or are you just having a bad morning?

Wow. Did I upset you in some other post somewhere? Or are you just having a bad morning?

You appear unfamiliar with me.

Just a bad morning then. Or a poor reading of my post.

I think you've a poor grasp of the implications of your naive statement on geopolitics. But, sure, maybe it's me.

I think you've a poor grasp of the implications of your naive statement on geopolitics.
Do tell.

Was it racist of America to think the South Vietnamese would have communism imposed on them by the North?

Do tell.

Was it racist of America to think the South Vietnamese would have communism imposed on them by the North?
Eh. North Vietnamese didnt want to be subject to French colonialist rule and in part were inspired by the American revolution at a time.

There is that, but for those upset about this current decision to pull troops out by Sept - some might say that Biden kind of took (S/I/T) Trump's advice to pull troops out, in which
I'm sure that they will. I just happen to think that it would have looked better for (S/I/T) Trump if he pulled them out during his 2nd year in office. He had no problem doing that in Syria.

Your messages are increasingly frantic to try to find racism in everything. Your message is absurd.

We can count on political critters being upset with Biden's decision to end our military presence there.

Republicans Split On Biden’s Afghanistan Withdrawal, With Some Calling It ‘A Grave Mistake’ And Others In Support (forbes.com)
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said the decision was a “grave mistake” that would “likely” result in “disaster” while Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 Republican in the House, argued it would “only embolden the very jihadists who attacked our homeland on that day twenty years ago.”

CHIEF CRITIC
In an interview with Fox News on Tuesday, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Biden was “paving the way for another 9/11” by withdrawing troops from Afghanistan.

Sens. Jack Reed of Rhode Island and Robert Menendez of New Jersey, appeared apprehensive about the move this week. “This should be seen as transitional, rather than closure,

We can count on political critters being upset with Biden's decision to end our military presence there.
I'm glad that at least American heroes will no longer be returning in body bags. Or grievously wounded. Or with life-altering mental issues.

I wish Obama had had the courage to do this.

I knew Trump never would.

Isn't Afghanistan said to be where Empires go to die? When nothing will change in that country, maybe it's best to leave them be. I do hope that their poor struggling population will find ways to move forward after next Sept.

Biden will withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021 (msn.com)
View attachment 67328394
Officially, there are 2,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, although the number fluctuates and is currently about 1,000 more than that. There are also up to an additional 7,000 foreign forces in the coalition there, the majority of them NATO troops.

Biden’s decision comes after an administration review of U.S. options in Afghanistan, where U.S.-midwived peace talks have failed to advance as hoped and the Taliban remains a potent force despite two decades of effort by the United States to defeat the militants and establish stable, democratic governance. The war has cost trillions of dollars in addition to the lives of more than 2,000 U.S. service members and at least 100,000 Afghan civilians.
1618566164044.png

We were lied into that war. Democracy will never really take root in Afghanistan. and that's okay.

Let them be the people they want to be. It's their nation.
Really 9/11 was a lie. Interesting.

Good. The only way to win a guerrilla war against the Taliban would require the United States to perform atrocities and a campaign of depopulation, deportation and concentration of the Pashtun population's regions on a level like that used by the British during the Second Boer War, Joseph Stalin against the Soviet Union's ethnic minorities or the Chinese against the Uyghur Muslims.

We cannot stoop to that level. We must depart.

While I agree that winning against the Taliban would require a major investment in time, troops, and materiel; those tactics were tried by the Russians and failed.

Put me in the school of "COIN Sucks But It Can Work".

I think we could have forced a Taliban surrender, theoretically.

They offered an arrangement in 2003ish timeframe. We turned them down.

Guerrilla wars have proven to be winnable. But the secret is this: You strip the guerrilla fighters of their support by depopulating and concentrating the civilian population.

Guerrilla fighters require the ability to hide among civilians, true; but that does not require their depopulation.

In this case, in Pashtun regions where the Taliban was operating, our forces would herd all Pashtun-speaking people into massive concentration camps, disarm them, and kill any who resisted, and kept them there with the aid of other rival tribal and ethnic groups of the region, such as Tajiks. That is how British won in South Africa

Respectfully, different British Victory may be more apt, here.

Back
Top Bottom