• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Wastes Opportunity to Deal with Domestic Violence

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
You can read the entire speech here, but it feels like it was just a token response to the crime wave we are experiencing, using it to push their standard gun control message instead of proposing real solutions to violence.

Really, we should probably just ignore any speech or proposal from any side which includes gun control because it makes its obvious they arent serious. If they had just stuck to the non gun control things, it would have been better, but probably still ineffective, because there wasnt much there. It was a gun control speech, not a violent crime speech.

Project Safe Neighborhoods to being police and communities together to find solutions
Money for courts to get through the backlog of cases
jobs for teenagers

were about the only thing mentioned. What about parenting and education? Gangs, drugs?

Seems like guns play a significant role in community violence.

You can read the entire speech here, but it feels like it was just a token response to the crime wave we are experiencing, using it to push their standard gun control message instead of proposing real solutions to violence.

Really, we should probably just ignore any speech or proposal from any side which includes gun control because it makes its obvious they arent serious. If they had just stuck to the non gun control things, it would have been better, but probably still ineffective, because there wasnt much there. It was a gun control speech, not a violent crime speech.

Project Safe Neighborhoods to being police and communities together to find solutions
jobs for teenagers

were about the only thing mentioned. What about parenting and education? Gangs, drugs?
Crime is a LONG term solution-------something Trumpers are abhorrant to.......they want immediate gratification, just like the little kids they are......

jobs for teenagers

In my opinion, it wasn't even a token response because he didn't even touch upon crime. He talked all about guns, gun shops and tossing more money out to criminals. None of it had to do with the thugs committing the crimes, other than wanting to be more generous to them with taxpayer money.
Yeah, hearing about gangs, drugs, importance/support of police, enforcement of laws, and penalties might have been on topic.
Then, I read a brief news item today where Biden forgot all about the building collapse in Florida and Kamala had to awkwardly remind him - Florida.
Biden is a mess.

In my opinion, it wasn't even a token response because he didn't even touch upon crime. He talked all about guns, gun shops and tossing more money out to criminals. None of it had to do with the thugs committing the crimes, other than wanting to be more generous to them with taxpayer money.
Yeah, hearing about gangs, drugs, importance/support of police, enforcement of laws, and penalties might have been on topic.
Then, I read a brief news item today where Biden forgot all about the building collapse in Florida and Kamala had to awkwardly remind him - Florida.
Biden is a mess.

What I mean by token response, is he had to address the crime problem, because its becoming a big story. Now he can say he did, and if it continues, its gun nuts fault who want their nukes and f15s to overthrow the govt. SOP for politicians. But chances are this will never come up again till the campaign.

Fix the conditions that lead to crime and you will get less crime. However, it should be coupled with enforcement where needed.

The 'No Cash Bail' initiavtives by leftist local DAs releasing violent criminals back to their very often minority communities only to continue to re-commit their atrocities. So that'd be a huge leftist public policy fail.
Biden is a mess.
The 'Biden' (leftist) agenda is a mess.

Fix the conditions that lead to crime and you will get less crime. However, it should be coupled with enforcement where needed.
The 'War On Poverty' sure helped create the conditions (destruction of the family unit) in which crime is flourishing.

The 'War On Poverty' sure helped create the conditions (destruction of the family unit) in which crime is flourishing.
The war on poverty ended in the 80s with the effigy of the welfare queen. A few token programs are still around, but it's been long dead.

The war on poverty ended in the 80s with the effigy of the welfare queen. A few token programs are still around, but it's been long dead.
None the less, do you think that it did not set into motion generational damage?

None the less, do you think that it did not set into motion generational damage?
There has been an issue with crime among impoverished populations for thousands of years. So, no, I don't think it did.

There has been an issue with crime among impoverished populations for thousands of years. So, no, I don't think it did.
Back in the 50's, with a stronger family unit and also stronger community, minority neighborhoods were flourishing, minority businesses growing.
Yes, they were segregated, and that wasn't 'good' and am not suggesting this return, but since the 60's, they've lost ground, wouldn't you say?

Back in the 50's, with a stronger family unit and also stronger community, minority neighborhoods were flourishing, minority businesses growing.
Yes, they were segregated, and that wasn't 'good' and am not suggesting this return, but since the 60's, they've lost ground, wouldn't you say?
The US being the only economic super power while Europe was rebuilding had more to do with this than social policy.

The US being the only economic super power while Europe was rebuilding had more to do with this than social policy.
Even through the continued good economic conditions during the 60's, when they started losing ground?

I'll concede that economic conditions is a contributing factor, but what I won't concede is that it's the only contributing factor.

Even through the continued good economic conditions during the 60's, when they started losing ground?

I'll concede that economic conditions is a contributing factor, but what I won't concede is that it's the only contributing factor.
Well, yeah, there were many contributing factors, but mainly we started losing control when Nixon start screwing things up by overcorrecting after a recession.

Well, yeah, there were many contributing factors, but mainly we started losing control when Nixon start screwing things up by overcorrecting after a recession.

There's no doubt in my mind that there was a loss of control of the economy in the 70's and that it negatively impacted just about everyone. I lived through that during high school. It wasn't pretty.

There's no doubt in my mind that there was a loss of control of the economy in the 70's and that it negatively impacted just about everyone. I lived through that during high school. It wasn't pretty.
That was before I was born.

Consider yourself luck, but we seem to be on a trajectory where it maybe repeated, hoping not, but we'll see.
There is a chance we could be overcorrecting again, given fed monetary policy for the last 10 years.

There is a chance we could be overcorrecting again, given fed monetary policy for the last 10 years.
Didn't the Fed recently click their mouse button and conjure up a large amount of additional currency into the economy?

Didn't the Fed recently click their mouse button and conjure up a large amount of additional currency into the economy?
QE has been the policy for years now.

QE has been the policy for years now.
True, and it increases currency supply, and such increases hurt the savers and workers (middle class and below) of an economy the most.
No wonder there are cries of 'Audit the FED' and 'Return to the Gold Standard', however little traction these movements get.

True, and it increases currency supply, and such increases hurt the savers and workers (middle class and below) of an economy the most.
No wonder there are cries of 'Audit the FED' and 'Return to the Gold Standard', however little traction these movements get.
Auditing the FED would be fine I think. Returning the gold standard would be a grave mistake in a world of fiat currency to compete against. Having a certain flexibility is necessary for competitiveness.

Auditing the FED would be fine I think. Returning the gold standard would be a grave mistake in a world of fiat currency to compete against. Having a certain flexibility is necessary for competitiveness.
Neither seems to be gaining much support.

I'll agree with you on auditing the FED, mainly because of the rather odd relationship between the FED and the federal government, each guaranteeing the financial obligations of each other. There certainly seems to be reason to be skeptical about that.

Back
Top Bottom