• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden warns Xi of ‘consequences’ if China aids Russia’s invasion of Ukraine

Bradlux

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
U.S. President Joe Biden warned Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Friday there would be “consequences” if Beijing gave material support to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the White House said, while both sides stressed the need for a diplomatic solution to the crisis.

In a video call that lasted just under two hours at a time of deepening acrimony between the world’s two biggest powers, Biden detailed the efforts of the United States and its allies to respond to the invasion, including by imposing costs on Russia.

So if China sends weapons to Russia, we send bags and bags of weapons to Taiwan.

U.S. President Joe Biden warned Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Friday there would be “consequences” if Beijing gave material support to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the White House said, while both sides stressed the need for a diplomatic solution to the crisis.

In a video call that lasted just under two hours at a time of deepening acrimony between the world’s two biggest powers, Biden detailed the efforts of the United States and its allies to respond to the invasion, including by imposing costs on Russia.
LOL!!

What is the puppet going to do? Bomb China? Sanctions? Hey...how about some good tariffs!!!

"Consequences"

There'll be steep consequences if Joe's butterscotch pudding cup isn't presented by 5:30 sharp.

So if China sends weapons to Russia, we send bags and bags of weapons to Taiwan.
We've been sending bags and bags of weapons to Taiwan since the Carter administration.

So it'd be more bags and bags of weapons. We better make some of them Javelins. They've obviously earned their stripes in Ukraine.

That kindly old gentleman also gave a stern warning to Russia's deranged czar.

How did that go?

Emperor Xi is obviously not shaking in his boots, either.

I wish he hadn't done that, dammit.

How did that go?

Yeah, well apparently badass, manly man Putin ignored that stern warning.

How did that go?

Maybe Xi's getting the picture: don't underestimate the old man.

I wish he hadn't done that, dammit.

I think Xi needs to know there will be consequences - that's not wrong. But what I don't know is how the rest of that conversation went. I hope that Xi was also reassured that the US isn't trying to completely isolate China either, because if they get that impression, then China will feel like it really doesn't have much to gain by remaining friendly with Washington, only that it might have more to lose by being unfriendly. But China is not going to be pushed around, either.

Why? We can hurt China far more than they can hurt us in any arena.
Better to gang up with China on this one, not take on both big boys at once. China will do what it wants anyway, and it's really none of our business. Sure, Biden can try to persuade China, but he shouldn't threaten them. From a purely selfish perspective, we're feeling the sanctions against Russia enough. We don't need more.

How did that go?

What alternative would you suggest? Tell them we will start bombing China in 5 minutes? What could Biden do to make you happy?

I think it's quite likely the stern warning is in regards to trade.

I think Xi needs to know there will be consequences - that's not wrong. But what I don't know is how the rest of that conversation went. I hope that Xi was also reassured that the US isn't trying to completely isolate China either, because if they get that impression, then China will feel like it really doesn't have much to gain by remaining friendly with Washington, only that it might have more to lose by being unfriendly. But China is not going to be pushed around, either.

I don't think we should even try to push them around. What right do we have to tell China how to react here?

Better to gang up with China on this one, not take on both big boys at once. China will do what it wants anyway, and it's really none of our business. Sure, Biden can try to persuade China, but he shouldn't threaten them. From a purely selfish perspective, we're feeling the sanctions against Russia enough. We don't need more.
"None of our business?" WTF are you smoking?
No one is threatening China. They need to know helping Russia butcher the Ukrainian people is not something we condone. There are ramifications just as there are in Russia right now.

We aren't feeling squat on sanctions against Russia.

"None of our business?" WTF are you smoking?
No one is threatening China. They need to know helping Russia butcher the Ukrainian people is not something we condone. There are ramifications just as there are in Russia right now.

We aren't feeling squat on sanctions against Russia.
Oh, phlooey. Using the word ramifications instead of consequences doesn't change the meaning. Biden is threatening "consequences."

And yes, we're feeling oil prices through the roof fueling outrageous inflation and grain prices (which will also very much affect us at the grocery store) are about to come.

And NO it is none of our business, just as it wasn't Russia's business to decide if Ukraine should be in NATO.

well look at that! even china takes the gop's side 😂

any democrats feel like trying to get their friend Xi back in line? He ain't getting along with your boy LOL

There won't be consequences and China won't care. Our culture and way of living is dependent on them, not the other way around, so Biden's 'consequences' are of as much import as his predecessor's tariffs that we'll all note China basically shrugged off. If Biden wants to be serious, he should be telling Americans that there will be consequences if China arms Russia, specifically, the consequences of us shifting business away from China, and the pain that comes with it. And then he should be imploring us to be willing to absorb that pain and support each other through it, because it's the right thing to do.

America as a nation of 300+ million people showing solidarity to the effect of "we're willing to stop buying Chinese goods and go without and support each other, if China does this..." would send a strong message to China and possibly influence their decisions. Joe Biden issuing a press release? Nah, that is meaningless.

Oh, phlooey. Using the word ramifications instead of consequences doesn't change the meaning. Biden is threatening "consequences."

And yes, we're feeling oil prices through the roof fueling outrageous inflation and grain prices (which will also very much affect us at the grocery store) are about to come.

And NO it is none of our business, just as it wasn't Russia's business to decide if Ukraine should be in NATO.
Oil prices through the roof eh. Kind of hyperbolic don't you think?

Suck it up buttercup. We have it made here.

well look at that! even china takes the gop's side 😂

any democrats feel like trying to get their friend Xi back in line? He ain't getting along with your boy LOL
This is an't about republicans and democrats. "Your boy?" The last time I hear someone refer to an adult as "boy" was when I lived in Georgia in the 1960's.

There won't be consequences and China won't care. Our culture and way of living is dependent on them, not the other way around, so Biden's 'consequences' are of as much import as his predecessor's tariffs that we'll all note China basically shrugged off. If Biden wants to be serious, he should be telling Americans that there will be consequences if China arms Russia, specifically, the consequences of us shifting business away from China, and the pain that comes with it. And then he should be imploring us to be willing to absorb that pain and support each other through it, because it's the right thing to do.

America as a nation of 300+ million people showing solidarity to the effect of "we're willing to stop buying Chinese goods and go without and support each other, if China does this..." would send a strong message to China and possibly influence their decisions. Joe Biden issuing a press release? Nah, that is meaningless.
It may come to that. First steps first. There's on need to get serious quite yet about sacrificing. Probably not even necessary.

Darn could it be we won't be able to get our Christmas Chinese junk to give out as gifts! Wouldn't that be terrible! :ROFLMAO: And Walmart heirs might worry that their run on being filthy rich might come to an end! Oh Good Lord what would we do?!

Oil prices through the roof eh. Kind of hyperbolic don't you think?

Suck it up buttercup. We have it made here.
DON'T call me Buttercup. You may have it made, but not me.

DON'T call me Buttercup. You may have it made, but not me.
Fair enough.

And no I don't have it made either (whatever that means), but my home hasn't been bombed and I haven't had to leave my country or take up arms against the Russians. I know where my next meal is coming from too. Not going to whine about gas going up either when most of the rest of the word pays a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom