• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden US kicks off - will replace 645,000 cars.

1615326000682.png
Evq3uV-VIAEIiTP

:( thor
@GUNMTLM3

58 days and still no answer. I have had enough, i STILL believe Tesla makes great cars but their customer service is truly horrendous. Fifty-eight days since my car caught fire sitting in the drive, and Tesla doesn’t seem to care at all. ANSWER ME!! @Tesla @elonmusk

Lucky it wasn't in the garage.

LOL We can replace gas stations with charging stations and fast chargers give an 80% charge in 30 minutes.
Think about how long the lines at gas stations would be if every car took at least 30 minutes?
I think the average gasoline transaction is about 3 to 5 min, with the max being maybe 10 minutes.

LOL We can replace gas stations with charging stations and fast chargers give an 80% charge in 30 minutes.
Maybe. I wonder if you have a clue of how dangerous it is to transfer that much power that fast in the form of electricity.

Maybe. I wonder if you have a clue of how dangerous it is to transfer that much power that fast in the form of electricity.
Oooh scary stuff. Telsa has been doing it for years with no problems. No more excuses. We are going to wean ourselves off fossil fuel so get used to it.

Think about how long the lines at gas stations would be if every car took at least 30 minutes?
I think the average gasoline transaction is about 3 to 5 min, with the max being maybe 10 minutes.
Give me a break and that is what travelers get by taking one when charging. A needed break that the helps with concentration while driving. Electric hookups can be more plentiful than gas pumps.

View attachment 67322205
Evq3uV-VIAEIiTP

:( thor
@GUNMTLM3

58 days and still no answer. I have had enough, i STILL believe Tesla makes great cars but their customer service is truly horrendous. Fifty-eight days since my car caught fire sitting in the drive, and Tesla doesn’t seem to care at all. ANSWER ME!! @Tesla @elonmusk

Lucky it wasn't in the garage.

Florida woman says parked Kia Sorento spontaneously burst into flames
Car was parked for more than an hour

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...d-kia-sorento-spontaneously-burst-into-flames

Give me a break and that is what travelers get by taking one when charging. A needed break that the helps with concentration while driving. Electric hookups can be more plentiful than gas pumps.
It is not quite that simple, you have to get a lot of electricity to them.
Charging a 100 KWh battery to 80% in 30 minutes, is 160 KW, at 400Volts, that is 400 amps.
Most large homes have a 220 volt 200 amp service (44 KW), so each charging station
would need the same capacity as nearly 4 large homes.
This would represent a large upgrade to the electrical grid, and perhaps quite a bit of nuclear power to back it up,
(assuming you want the charging to be carbon free.)

Charging a 100 KWh battery to 80% in 30 minutes, is 160 KW, at 400Volts, that is 400 amps.
Most large homes have a 220 volt 200 amp service (44 KW), so each charging station
This would represent a large upgrade to the electrical grid, and perhaps quite a bit of nuclear power to back it up,
The truth is most electric car owners just plug their car in when they get home and never need fast charging. 300 mile range is plenty for 99% of car travel. All we need high speed rail for long distance travel and we are set. This is not nearly as hard as deniers make it out to be. It is just different and to them "different" is automatically bad. The human race has thrived on change for 1000's of years.

The truth is most electric car owners just plug their car in when they get home and never need fast charging. 300 mile range is plenty for 99% of car travel.
Perhaps 90% of the time, most people take small trips, it would be good to not have to have an extra car,
or to rent a car for that occasional trip to another city.

Well for normal cars, the Audi sedan ( e-tron GT ) can drive 700 km on one charge, that is as good as any petrol car.

Another thing with electric cars is that they are very quit. There hasn't been any production of military vehicles that goes on electricity as far as I know, but wouldn't that be an advantage (to be quit I mean)? In fact they are so quit that the manufactors has been forced to put in extra sound so that they are not dangerous in traffic (pedestrian and cyclists couldn't hear them comming)
The British SAS use my ride. The zero FSX

You bring up a point that isn't stressed enough:

“There this is especially a burden for low income families that only can afford older cars that much easier break down.”

Older cars are still on the road that probably would have been scrapped long ago because used newer cars are too expensive for many to buy. In the effort to increase milage standards, for less pollution, we likely have the opposite effect.

Mileage standards is of course not a reason for why cars is expensive. Instead the reason is massive marketing for the sell of big cars while at the same time people that buy new cars can afford those big cars. While for low income families and other that buy used cars it would make a lot more financial sense with smaller size cars. Another reason is that have lost of big cars on the roads make people partly rightly afraid to drive smaller cars.

Also if you can afford to buy an expensive car than you doesn't care very much if it also have high mileage. While that high mileage will be a massive economical burden for a low income family that have to buy the car because there are no other option.

While with a electric cars it can be much cheaper to charge you car and you have less need for repairs. While you can have programs that also help low income famillies to get their own solar panels.

Last edited:

Battery capacity in electric cars are already ten times the daily commute. So electric cars can not only be charge then the supply is high most of the time but also act as battery storage.

Mileage standards is of course not a reason for why cars is expensive. Instead the reason is massive marketing for the sell of big cars while at the same time people that buy new cars can afford those big cars. While for low income families and other that buy used cars it would make a lot more financial sense with smaller size cars. Another reason is that have lost of big cars on the roads make people partly rightly afraid to drive smaller cars.
LOL... You are so wrong. Any car that has a lower milage than the mandated fleet average milage standard are more expensive because the makers can charge more due to supply and demand.

Also if you can afford to buy an expensive car than you doesn't care very much if it also have high mileage. While that high mileage will be a massive economical burden for a low income family that have to buy the car because there are no other option.
Why are the options gone? Think about it.

While with a electric cars it can be much cheaper to charge you car and you have less need for repairs. While you can have programs that also help low income families to get their own solar panels.
We cannot afford to keep subsidizing people. The USA will already crumble from the subsidies and debt we are accumulating.

Battery capacity in electric cars are already ten times the daily commute. So electric cars can not only be charge then the supply is high most of the time but also act as battery storage.

Not by my understanding of the average daily commute. Did you make that up, or do you have a reference for it?

Many people travel great distance for their daily commute. Then you also have normal errands other than to work and back.

And if people ONLY used their car for their daily commute, that would work, except that
is not all that people use their cars for. Sometimes they may want to take a day trip to a city 200 miles away.
something that a gasoline car can easily do, but the battery electric, would make the already tight schedule
slip by several hours.

How many car manufactures say that you void the cars warranty if use you car for home energy storage? Tesla specifically has in their warranty that "Using the vehicle as a stationary power source" is not covered by the warranty. In fact, their wording includes "indirect" damages are not covered if used that way.

Your link says Audi is testing it. I'll bet if you use it that way until they authorize it, you will void their warranty as well.

How many car manufactures say that you void the cars warranty if use you car for home energy storage? Tesla specifically has in their warranty that "Using the vehicle as a stationary power source" is not covered by the warranty. In fact, their wording includes "indirect" damages are not covered if used that way.

Your link says Audi is testing it. I'll bet if you use it that way until they authorize it, you will void their warranty as well.
Theoretically this can work quite well. The fact that Tesla doesn't warranty the practice today, doesn't mean that they won't warranty it in the future. There is no reason that an advanced system cannot keep track of the power coming and going, and adjust the warranty accordingly. Warranty would be based on KWatts used by the vehicle, instead of mileage. Piece of cake! If Tesla continues on their current track of a million-mile battery, this will all be a moot point, and anything will be allowed regarding the warranty!!!

The truth is most electric car owners just plug their car in when they get home and never need fast charging. 300 mile range is plenty for 99% of car travel. All we need high speed rail for long distance travel and we are set. This is not nearly as hard as deniers make it out to be. It is just different and to them "different" is automatically bad. The human race has thrived on change for 1000's of years.
You are correct. There are many options for owners of EVs. One other item worth mentioning are Plug-in hybrids. Although GM discontinued their Volt in favor of all electric vehicles, BMW has introduced an entire fleet of plug-in hybrids.

I own a 2018 Volt, and I put about $5 worth of gas in the vehicle per month! The 50-mile range is enough for over 99% of my travel. The little gas that it uses is usually due to programmed automatic transition to the gas engine (the vehicle does this if it's very cold at startup or as a periodic event to lubricate the gas engine). I wouldn't be surprised if GM resurrects the Volt.

Theoretically this can work quite well. The fact that Tesla doesn't warranty the practice today, doesn't mean that they won't warranty it in the future. There is no reason that an advanced system cannot keep track of the power coming and going, and adjust the warranty accordingly. Warranty would be based on KWatts used by the vehicle, instead of mileage. Piece of cake! If Tesla continues on their current track of a million-mile battery, this will all be a moot point, and anything will be allowed regarding the warranty!!!
Keep believing in your pipe dream. Why do you think Tesla would allow their cars to do what they are selling a Power Wall to do?

LOL... You are so wrong. Any car that has a lower milage than the mandated fleet average milage standard are more expensive because the makers can charge more due to supply and demand.

Why are the options gone? Think about it.

We cannot afford to keep subsidizing people. The USA will already crumble from the subsidies and debt we are accumulating.

There are plenty of good and more affordable cars to buy. The problem is that people that can afford to choice to buy new cars choose to buy bigger and more expansive cars with higher mileage. Thereby limiting the choice for low income families choices for used cars.

There a transition towards electric cars would also lead to less costs for low income families.

While at the same time it of course also build cities and towns there people can also bike, walk and take public transport.

Not by my understanding of the average daily commute. Did you make that up, or do you have a reference for it?

Many people travel great distance for their daily commute. Then you also have normal errands other than to work and back.

The average commute is 32 miles per day. That at the same time for many the distance is a lot less and you have a few that increase the average.

There you already have cars that have ten times that range.

So there can be great opportunities to not only charge the car then the supply is high but also use the car for energy storage.

There also electric charging is started to be equipped by batteries.

There a million miles battery many times more than the life time distance the car the travel. So it clear that Tesla is planning for cars to also be used for energy storage.

There are plenty of good and more affordable cars to buy. The problem is that people that can afford to choice to buy new cars choose to buy bigger and more expansive cars with higher mileage. Thereby limiting the choice for low income families choices for used cars.

There a transition towards electric cars would also lead to less costs for low income families.

While at the same time it of course also build cities and towns there people can also bike, walk and take public transport.

LOL...

Compact cars.

LOL...

Who in their right mind, with a family, wants a compact car?

Back
Top Bottom