• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden US kicks off - will replace 645,000 cars.

Gas pumps doesn't work neither then the power is off. Also that you can have your own solar panels and/or battery storage that might be able to provide power both to your house and cars.

Also electric vehicles can help to stabilize the grid.

And/or being able to act as back up battery for powering your house.
Don't most service stations have a back up generator to keep the pumps running?

The author of that story is a moron.

The company makes smaller batteries for consumer goods. Yes, hypothetically, you could scale it to charge a car battery that fast, but you would probably end up having at least a ton of copper cabling in the car to do so, and a charging cable 1 ft. in diameter or more.

You, yourself, don't know much about electricity to believe the stupid author.

Show your math.

Show your math.
Well to charge a 100 KWh battery in 5 minuets would be 1200KW, or 3000 amps at 400 volts.
The math, 100KWh is 100 KW for 1 Hour, or 1200 KW for 5 minuets.
1200 KW/400 volts is 3000 amps.
You could move up the voltage to reduce the current, but that brings up other risks.
In any case, I would think twice about charging in the rain!

Well to charge a 100 KWh battery in 5 minuets would be 1200KW, or 3000 amps at 400 volts.
You could move up the voltage to reduce the current, but that brings up other risks.

The math on the 12 inch diameter cable. 1000 amp generators I use to jump start a turbine engine aren’t nearly that large.

The math on the 12 inch diameter cable. 1000 amp generators I use to jump start a turbine engine aren’t nearly that large.
Hyperbole, it would be a big heavy cable, and the current and voltage combination would be dangerous.
Perhaps a robot can plug it into the car!

Hyperbole, it would be a big heavy cable, and the current and voltage combination would be dangerous.
Perhaps a robot can plug it into the car!

A teenager plugs in the cable to start my airplane. Are you one of those people who lives in New Jersey who thinks we need gas station attendants because it’s unsafe to fill our own gas tanks?

A teenager plugs in the cable to start my airplane. Are you one of those people who lives in New Jersey who thinks we need gas station attendants because it’s unsafe to fill our own gas tanks?
No, I am concerned about a high voltage cable operating in exposed conditions and the insulation
keeping the lighting inside the bottle.

No, I am concerned about a high voltage cable operating in exposed conditions and the insulation
keeping the lighting inside the bottle.

I have never in my flying career heard of any major problem caused by this process. It’s just an oversized version of the thing you stick in a wall outlet and it’s very well insulated and durable.

Will someone eventually **** it up and fry themselves? Sure, but people start fires at gas stations too.

I have never in my flying career heard of any major problem caused by this process. It’s just an oversized version of the thing you stick in a wall outlet and it’s very well insulated and durable.

Will someone eventually **** it up and fry themselves? Sure, but people start fires at gas stations too.
I am not sure what the voltage is on an aircraft starter, I always though it was compressed air!

Wooohooo!

TSLA is BACK!!

eTrade made my day!!

TSLA_etrade.jpeg

I think its so funny when these people don't have a clue, and act as if they do.

Well for normal cars, the Audi sedan ( e-tron GT ) can drive 700 km on one charge, that is as good as any petrol car.
Except when I drive my patrol car to that limit I only need to spend two minutes to gas it up to full and continue on my way instead of sit for at least a half an hour to charge up.

I am not sure what the voltage is on an aircraft starter, I always though it was compressed air!

There are scenarios in which compressed air assist is used on certain aircraft, but most smaller aircraft use electric power to start.

I think its so funny when these people don't have a clue, and act as if they do.

Oh I must have ****ing hallucinated the power plug that people plug into my ****ing airplane. Clearly it is eight feet across and I need my eyes checked or something.

Well for normal cars, the Audi sedan ( e-tron GT ) can drive 700 km on one charge, that is as good as any petrol car.

Another thing with electric cars is that they are very quit. There hasn't been any production of military vehicles that goes on electricity as far as I know, but wouldn't that be an advantage (to be quit I mean)? In fact they are so quit that the manufactors has been forced to put in extra sound so that they are not dangerous in traffic (pedestrian and cyclists couldn't hear them comming)
According to Audi, it has under a 250 mile range.

It is of course possible to see some logistical difficulties in such a maneuver, and it is certainly no coincidence that Biden did not announce a timetable for when the vehicle fleet will be replaced.

Another interesting aspect is that Biden announced that all electric cars to be taken into federal use must be manufactured in the USA. This should mean happy faces at Tesla, GM and maybe Rivian, among others.

He said the power plug would need to be a foot across. Why would I do math to prove his claim?
Please look up the definition of "probable." If you aren't going to do the math and compare it with wire gauge and current capacity, then stop bothering me.

There are scenarios in which compressed air assist is used on certain aircraft, but most smaller aircraft use electric power to start.
Interesting, do the smaller jets have an auxiliary power unit to start it up if you are not near that 1000 amp generator?

This is a great idea and great news. Thank goodness we finally have someone in the white house who is introducing some thoughtful policies for the interests of the nation and the world, instead of always sacrificing them to their own personal interests.
I know right. It is a refreshing change from the grifter in chief who instead removed the MPG restrictions and coddled the Saudis while calling global warming a hoax.

Interesting, do the smaller jets have an auxiliary power unit to start it up if you are not near that 1000 amp generator?

Some do, yes. Although on most the APU provides power to an electric starter rather than applying compressed air to the engine. Compressed air assist tends to be relegated to airliner-sized aircraft.

Very small jets tend not to have an APU due to the cost and weight. They start off battery power or via a ground power unit like the ones I’ve mentioned.

Consider the logistics or recharge time vs. full up time, then consider how that affects the drivers efficiency, land needed for fuels stations, etc.

I never hear the promoters of electric vehicles discuss this serious downside.
LOL We can replace gas stations with charging stations and fast chargers give an 80% charge in 30 minutes. There are really no excuses left for electric cars. Long distance trucks can also use fast charging electric power.

“In a few years’ time, Scania plans to introduce long-distance electric trucks that will be able to carry a total weight of 40 tonnes for 4.5 hours, and fast charge during the drivers’ compulsory 45-minute rest.”

b90e5b5357af5e2e_org.jpg

https://www.scania.com/group/en/hom...unches-fully-electric-truck-with-250-km-range

Last edited:
Please look up the definition of "probable." If you aren't going to do the math and compare it with wire gauge and current capacity, then stop bothering me.

When the probability is zero percent the term is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom