• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden to withdraw ATF pick David Chipman after resistance over gun control support

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden is withdrawing David Chipman as his nominee to lead the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives after facing resistance over his support for gun control that blocked confirmation in the Senate, according to a source familiar with the decision.
The White House would not confirm the move, first reported by Politico and the Washington Post. Chipman was notified Wednesday of the decision, the source said. Chipman dd not immediately respond to a request for comment.
A former agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Chipman drew sharp criticism from Republicans, who argued his recent work with gun control groups like Everytown and Giffords, led by former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, disqualifies him from the position that holds law enforcement power over the nation’s gun manufacturers, importers and sellers.

Who will the Administration find as a potential replacement candidate?

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden is withdrawing David Chipman as his nominee to lead the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives after facing resistance over his support for gun control that blocked confirmation in the Senate, according to a source familiar with the decision.

The White House would not confirm the move, first reported by Politico and the Washington Post. Chipman was notified Wednesday of the decision, the source said. Chipman dd not immediately respond to a request for comment.
A former agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Chipman drew sharp criticism from Republicans, who argued his recent work with gun control groups like Everytown and Giffords, led by former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, disqualifies him from the position that holds law enforcement power over the nation’s gun manufacturers, importers and sellers.

Naturally, what The Enemy of the People failed to include in their story was the fact that half of the Senate Democrats also refused to nominate David Chipman. Considering that Chipman supports banning all "AR-15-style semi-automatic rifles," and that would be a direct violation of the Second Amendment, I can't say I'm entirely surprised by the lack of Senate support.

Ron Swanson, I hope.

Naturally, what The Enemy of the People failed to include in their story was the fact that half of the Senate Democrats also refused to nominate David Chipman. Considering that Chipman supports banning all "AR-15-style semi-automatic rifles," and that would be a direct violation of the Second Amendment, I can't say I'm entirely surprised by the lack of Senate support.
Huh, wonder what happened to Harris swooping in as a deciding vote? Don't you love it when their plans don't come together.

About fracking time. This guy has been an anchor for Biden for months.

Huh, wonder what happened to Harris swooping in as a deciding vote? Don't you love it when their plans don't come together.
First, VP's have no deciding vote in committees, only on floor votes. Second, it wasn't even close to an even split. All the Republicans and half of the Democrats (75% of the committee membership) rejected Biden's nomination. The Enemy of the People wants to dishonestly pretend that only Republicans were against the nomination, but that - as usual - is just more Fake News.

About fracking time. This guy has been an anchor for Biden for months.
that guy was a complete douchewad. Totally unqualified for an agency that has plenty of problems right now.

There are stories circulating that he had made racist comments. GOP senators wouldn't support him because he is a completely partisan hack who wants to severely restrict the rights of honest gun owners. And some purple state senators who are Democrats might well have balked at supporting that POS for that reason. But apparently there was more to it than his anti gun nonsense

nominating chipman for atf would be like nominating a holistic medicine guru and extreme anti vaxer slash witchdoctor as surgeon general. Simply put putting the absolute least capable person into a job, and besides that the most opposing to the core description of the job.

There are stories circulating that he had made racist comments. GOP senators wouldn't support him because he is a completely partisan hack who wants to severely restrict the rights of honest gun owners. And some purple state senators who are Democrats might well have balked at supporting that POS for that reason. But apparently there was more to it than his anti gun nonsense
Comments from bigots have never put off Democrats before. Hell, they just got done electing a Dixiecrat as President.

Comments from bigots have never put off Democrats before. Hell, they just got done electing a Dixiecrat as President.
I think they knew he was SOL anyway so it gave them some cover

I think they knew he was SOL anyway so it gave them some cover
I think the more intelligent knew, but that was only the underlings. I'm quite certain the leadership was completely clueless, and actually thought David Chipman would be a good nominee since he supported Biden's plan to deliberately violate the Second Amendment.

I think the more intelligent knew, but that was only the underlings. I'm quite certain the leadership was completely clueless, and actually thought David Chipman would be a good nominee since he supported Biden's plan to deliberately violate the Second Amendment.
that turd can go back to working for enemies of the constitution

that turd can go back to working for enemies of the constitution
Which "turd" are we talking about now, Biden or Chipman? Both have never stopped working for the enemies of the Constitution, because they are that enemy. Chipman couldn't exist without turds like Biden and his ilk.

Which "turd" are we talking about now, Biden or Chipman? Both have never stopped working for the enemies of the Constitution, because they are that enemy. Chipman couldn't exist without turds like Biden and his ilk.
Chipman-he worked for gun banning groups and he can go back from whence he came

First, VP's have no deciding vote in committees, only on floor votes. Second, it wasn't even close to an even split. All the Republicans and half of the Democrats (75% of the committee membership) rejected Biden's nomination. The Enemy of the People wants to dishonestly pretend that only Republicans were against the nomination, but that - as usual - is just more Fake News.
Don't know about [D] yesterday was the first I heard. But I guess it just happened.

Good. Anti-2nd amendment trash have no business in the ATF.

Good. Anti-2nd amendment trash have no business in the ATF.
The Firearm portion of the BATF&E shouldn't exist at all. It only exists because of the unconstitutional National Firearms Act of 1934 and a corrupted Supreme Court that was under duress by a fascist piece of shit in 1939.

It's odd to me that a presidential pick can be rejected because of his or her political position, especially when that position is mainstream and supported by most Americans.

It's odd to me that a presidential pick can be rejected because of his or her political position, especially when that position is mainstream and supported by most Americans.
no it isn't. his position also flies in the face of the supreme court's rulings as well.

no it isn't. his position also flies in the face of the supreme court's rulings as well.

Just think how he left would howl if a Republican president nominated a person to Secretary of Health and Human Services, who's claim to fame is opposition to Roe v Wade and who promised to cripple Planned Parenthood and who worked for National Right to Life and The Center for Medical Progress?

Back
Top Bottom