• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden to "Transition" from Oil Industry

as was my response... it could have been delivered in a way that people were less threatened by it. I grimaced when I heard it. The words were too harsh.

He should have simply said that a much more detailed answer can be found on his website.
It's even interesting that neither guy pimped their websites in their closing statements.

Still missing the point.

It really annoys you when one of the machines refuses to play ball by your rules, doesn't it?
I bet you became as accustomed to getting your way as John Bolton is.
Just do a book deal, stop wasting bandwidth here with your nonsensical denialism.

Oil & gas will remain foundation fuels for the next century.
I think they just don't get how limited renewable resources are at this point and just how much life fossil fuels still has in them.

I would like to have more viable means to move away from fuels such as oil & coal. But they still have more than enough power to soldier on at this point. And no one has really been able to sell that whole, recyclable resources gig since the late 50s.

It really annoys you when one of the machines refuses to play ball by your rules, doesn't it?
I bet you became as accustomed to getting your way as John Bolton is.
Just do a book deal, stop wasting bandwidth here with your nonsensical denialism.
John Bolton was/is a clown. I don't have rules, but I make arguments.

I think they just don't get how limited renewable resources are at this point and just how much life fossil fuels still has in them.

I would like to have more viable means to move away from fuels such as oil & coal. But they still have more than enough power to soldier on at this point. And no one has really been able to sell that whole, recyclable resources gig since the late 50s.
Yup.

Sorry, but the numbers don't work.
The truth behind renewable energy
Can renewable energy sources supply the world with a large share of the energy it requires? While some environmentalists advocate the total replacement of fossil fuels by solar, wind and battery power, Dr Lars Schernikau explains why this is impossible.

Banning The Sale Of Petrol Cars Would Be ‘A Colossal Error’
  • Date: 29/07/20
  • Press Release, Global Warming Policy Foundation
Eminent engineer reveals major flaw in UK Govt’s electric car plans London, 29 July: A new paper published today by the Global Warming Policy Foundation reveals another major flaw in plans to electrify the economy. According to the author, Professor Gautam Kalghatgi, because most vehicles will still run on fossil fuels in ten years’ […]

New Paper: Grid Scale Electricity Storage Can’t Save Renewables
  • Date: 07/02/19
  • Press Release, Global Warming Policy Foundation
Engineer pours cold water on battery and hydrogen technologies A new briefing paper from the Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) dismisses the idea that grid-scale electricity storage can help bring about a UK renewables revolution. According to the paper’s author, Professor Jack Ponton, an emeritus professor of engineering from the University of Edinburgh, current approaches are either […]
Not everyone agrees that the numbers don’t work for power generation. As for gasoline cars, I already posted the link in an earlier post showing that auto manufacturers have already decided to go all electric.

“Today, nearly 18% of all electricity produced in the United States comes from renewable energy sources, such as hydropower and wind—a figure that is forecast to climb.”

“NREL’s Renewable Electricity Futures Study estimated that 120 gigawatts of storage would be needed across the continental United States by 2050, when the scenario imagined a future where 80% of electricity will come from renewable resources. The country currently has 22 gigawatts of storage from pumped hydropower, and another gigawatt in batteries.”

Three quarters of new power generation being added is currently solar or wind so the trend is going to have to change if they are not going to become dominant. There are technical challenges particularly in storage but many believe they will be solved.

Of course, another “wildcard“ that could change everything would be development of practical fusion power.

Yes.
By 2030, a decade from now...yes.
Electric cars will have long since reached parity by then.
They will be cheaper, more durable, and almost maintenance free, and much cheaper to own and operate by then.
No different than things like camcorders, which used to cost as much two month's average salary and which are now often found for a couple of hundred with features early adopters only dreamed of.

Not everyone agrees that the numbers don’t work for power generation. As for gasoline cars, I already posted the link in an earlier post showing that auto manufacturers have already decided to go all electric.

“Today, nearly 18% of all electricity produced in the United States comes from renewable energy sources, such as hydropower and wind—a figure that is forecast to climb.”

“NREL’s Renewable Electricity Futures Study estimated that 120 gigawatts of storage would be needed across the continental United States by 2050, when the scenario imagined a future where 80% of electricity will come from renewable resources. The country currently has 22 gigawatts of storage from pumped hydropower, and another gigawatt in batteries.”

Three quarters of new power generation being added is currently solar or wind so the trend is going to have to change if they are not going to become dominant. There are technical challenges particularly in storage but many believe they will be solved.

Of course, another “wildcard“ that could change everything would be development of practical fusion power.

Fusion always seems to be "another ten years away" but there are hundreds of new designs for regular nuclear fission units which are very attractive.
Plus, there's also the likelihood that we will finally begin looking at Thorium as well.
The point being, "This is not your grandfather's nuclear power" and nuclear IS going to play an increased role soon.
Nuclear is the ultimate "alternative energy".

The future will be more solar and wind and less oil and gas. Even if we go more towards nuclear, oil and gas going to fall. Those that get a jump on the market will be the leaders going forward. Clinging onto the old tech will leave the US in behind.

American exceptionalism can't be a thing if other countries are driving the train and we're in the caboose.

Let me know when the solar powered airliner comes out.

It will be amusing to see neophyte off-roaders looking for charging stations deep in the wildreness.
Unless you carried lots of extra fuel, the old Hummer had the same problem.

Wait, I thought we were still trying to figure out how to deal with the waste from solar panels as well.

Because that apparently became a thing after all of the government subsidies handed out to boost their footprint.

Let me know when the solar powered airliner comes out.
They are working on it, but the weight of the batteries is still a big issue.

“Roei Ganzarski, CEO of the Seattle-based electric propulsion firm magniX, which is developing the eCaravan with the flight testing company AeroTEC, said electric aircraft can be better than fossil-fuel propeller planes over distances of up to 1,000 miles, which make up more than half of all passenger flights in the world today.”

It will be amusing to see neophyte off-roaders looking for charging stations deep in the wildreness.
Hell, maybe Elon Musk will have orbital drop re-charging stations in the future.

Yes.
By 2030, a decade from now...yes.
Electric cars will have long since reached parity by then.
They will be cheaper, more durable, and almost maintenance free, and much cheaper to own and operate by then.
No different than things like camcorders, which used to cost as much two month's average salary and which are now often found for a couple of hundred with features early adopters only dreamed of.
Better carry a bunch or extension cords because you won't see a charging network for at least another 15-20 years.

Wait, I thought we were still trying to figure out how to deal with the waste from solar panels as well.

Because that apparently became a thing after all of the government subsidies handed out to boost their footprint.
I am waiting for them to do some serious research into Hydrogen , it can be made safe and is cheap to make and can be used to power cars, and can fuel almost anything that runs on gas,
and Hydrogen is a clean and renewable energy.
Hydrogen when burned produces water vapor , and Hydrogen is made from water , and one more thing the earth is 2/3rds water and 1/3rd land so there is an almost endless supply of water to make hydrogen,
also they need to look into wave action elect.power generators that could be set up in areas of the ocean to produce elect,
There are a lot of things we should be looking into that are clean and safe and cheap to make and use.
have a nice night

I am waiting for them to do some serious research into Hydrogen , it can be made safe and is cheap to make and can be used to power cars, and can fuel almost anything that runs on gas,
and Hydrogen is a clean and renewable energy.
Hydrogen when burned produces water vapor , and Hydrogen is made from water , and one more thing the earth is 2/3rds water and 1/3rd land so there is an almost endless supply of water to make hydrogen,
also they need to look into wave action elect.power generators that could be set up in areas of the ocean to produce elect,
There are a lot of things we should be looking into that are clean and safe and cheap to make and use.
have a nice night
Repurpose old oil rig platforms and use them as the base for wave action generators, or even geothermal for that matter.

Hydrogen on the other hand, is kind of iffy for me. Doesn't take much of a miscalculation for someone to blow their face off. Especially after you've converted it into an easily portable and more condensed form like a fuel cell.

Repurpose old oil rig platforms and use them as the base for wave action generators, or even geothermal for that matter.

Hydrogen on the other hand, is kind of iffy for me. Doesn't take much of a miscalculation for someone to blow their face off. Especially after you've converted it into an easily portable and more condensed form like a fuel cell.
I remember a company back about 20years ago named Billings energy corp.
it had a pat. on a catalyst that they could put in a fuel cell that made it safe,
I saw then showing how it worked and how safe it was , showed how explosive Hydrogen was showed them filling a fuel cell then shooting bullets into it , and another one where they tried to set the fuel cell on fire.
and they had the conversion system to put on cars so you could run a car on it safely
I watched it for several months , getting money together so I could buy stock in it and then I heard they sold out , and guess who bought them out , several oil co's got together and bought them out so the technology may still be there. but with oil being so cheap now I am sure they don't want to develop it right now
but it is something I believe we should look into
for one reason, it is renewable , how some people might ask
well HY. can be made from water by putting elect. through it, and you can recapture the elect. and send it out , then when you burn it ( rapid oxidation , adding OX to it and it burns , and when it does it produces water vapor , that is clean , goes into the air where it turns to rain ) from water and back to water
as I said I would like to see it looked into
it is almost a perfect fuel
Have a nice night

You're the one who introduced computers as an analogous situation.
Poor wording on my part, let's try using a cost per storage unit. The cost of energy storage will continue to decline as technology changes.

This is what is wrong with America. The AmeriCAN'Ts have become our voice

Car batteries can already be fully charged in 10 minutes with the right system. The problem is already solved. This is what is wrong with America.. It has become polluted with AmeriCAN'Ts.

https://www.wired.com/story/charge-a-car-battery-in-5-minutes-thats-the-plan/
First of all, the poster said he wanted to quick replace the battery, so your strawman is silly.

Second of all, that article you posted is pure speculation- let's see it actually happen.

Banning single use plastics would put a big dent in oil consumption....as well as help save the planet.

1 in 10 cars sold in Europe are EV. Check this out...a solar powered camper van....

Yup, oil's on the way out everywhere. It won't be used forever.
I honestly doubt it will be out of the picture in either of our lifetimes.
It's one of those old, massively dependable workhorses that you just can't get rid of without shooting it. And do so here, would cut well over a hundred thousand jobs.

If solar, wind and turbine power were more reliable. I'd be far more willing to see this change happen. But so far, the closest we have to a clean and controllable energy source is nuclear. Which is something we still have issues with compiling safety measures for.

You are seeing a transition away from fossil fuels all across the world.

There also American states like Texas sees the great potential in renewable energy.

Sadly US have a president that ignored the great opportunities with renewable energy and other green technologies while also ignoring the massive social and environmental costs of fossil fuels.

Back
Top Bottom