• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden to "Transition" from Oil Industry

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm not sure Joe really believes in this, but the dynamics of last night's debate showed how he's been cornered by his green activist supporters. When he came out against the oil industry it seemed like the blunder of the night. It certainly made Pennsylvania a harder lift for him.

Biden Lets Mask Slip, Declares War on Oil & Gas

Scott McKay, American Spectator

“Would he close down the oil industry?” Trump asked. “Would you close down the oil industry?”

“I would transition from the oil industry, yes,” Biden responded.

That built upon a mountain of Green New Deal rhetoric he had spent much of the debate climbing by extolling the virtues of solar and wind energy and spinning yarns about all the great new jobs renewable energy would provide. Biden has had a problem for the length of his campaign due to his inability to give the country a straight answer on hydraulic fracturing. Thursday night he said he wouldn’t allow it on federal land and also said he wouldn’t allow any oil drilling at all on federal land, which wipes out the entire offshore drilling industry, but he’s been all over the map on that question, and depending on his audience he’s said whatever he thought they wanted to hear.

But prompted by Trump, he went full You Can’t Handle the Truth.

“That’s a big statement,” Trump said, and then rhetorically asked the voters in oil and gas states like Texas, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, and Ohio if they were listening. . . ."

Curious. Who are you voting for, Jack?

I'm not sure Joe really believes in this, but the dynamics of last night's debate showed how he's been cornered by his green activist supporters. When he came out against the oil industry it seemed like the blunder of the night. It certainly made Pennsylvania a harder lift for him.

“Would he close down the oil industry?” Trump asked. “Would you close down the oil industry?”

That built upon a mountain of Green New Deal rhetoric he had spent much of the debate climbing by extolling the virtues of solar and wind energy and spinning yarns about all the great new jobs renewable energy would provide. Biden has had a problem for the length of his campaign due to his inability to give the country a straight answer on hydraulic fracturing. Thursday night he said he wouldn’t allow it on federal land and also said he wouldn’t allow any oil drilling at all on federal land, which wipes out the entire offshore drilling industry, but he’s been all over the map on that question, and depending on his audience he’s said whatever he thought they wanted to hear.

“That’s a big statement,” Trump said, and then rhetorically asked the voters in oil and gas states like Texas, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, and Ohio if they were listening. . . ."

It's just a matter of time before oil becomes obsolete. Those who proactively prepare for it will win.

Of course we have to transition from oil to renewables.

It will be a gradual process, taking decades. Will we ever transition completely? Probably, but not in my lifetime (I'm 64).

But yes, of course the transition will take place. It's happening right now--no thanks to conservatives.

It's just a matter of time before oil becomes obsolete. Those who proactively prepare for it will win.

It will be a gradual process, taking decades. Will we ever transition completely? Probably, but not in my lifetime (I'm 64).

But yes, of course the transition will take place. It's happening right now--no thanks to conservatives.
Oil & gas will remain foundation fuels for the next century.

The future will be more solar and wind and less oil and gas. Even if we go more towards nuclear, oil and gas going to fall. Those that get a jump on the market will be the leaders going forward. Clinging onto the old tech will leave the US in behind.

American exceptionalism can't be a thing if other countries are driving the train and we're in the caboose.

Alas, yes. More in poor, developing nations, less and less in developed nations.

The future will be more solar and wind and less oil and gas. Even if we go more towards nuclear, oil and gas going to fall. Those that get a jump on the market will be the leaders going forward. Clinging onto the old tech will leave the US in behind.
American exceptionalism can't be a thing if other countries are driving the train and we're in the caboose.
Exactly. I grew up in the 1960s, when America led the world in science. I just assumed we always would. But then Reaganism shoved R&D into reverse and conservatives continue to drag us down to this day.

Alas, yes. More in poor, developing nations, less and less in developed nations.
Nope. The numbers are remorseless.

The truth behind renewable energy
Can renewable energy sources supply the world with a large share of the energy it requires? While some environmentalists advocate the total replacement of fossil fuels by solar, wind and battery power, Dr Lars Schernikau explains why this is impossible.

It looks like Jack's bosses in the energy industry have called him to action this morning.

I wonder if trying to influence ~80 people on a forum pays well or not.

Reactions: jpn

3 cheers for coal powered electric vehicles, the dirtiest vehicles on earth that the Democratic Party promotes.

Isn't the goal for America to be carbon neutral by 2050?

That's 30 years.

Transitioning away from fossil fuels is a noble goal. I don't know if it is technologically possible in the immediate future, but in the future we will have to transition away, if for no other reason than that there is a limited supply of fossil fuels.

I support doing everything possible to make the transition possible as soon as economically and practically possible. I don't read Biden's position to be any different. If Biden tanked the economy in a foolish premature attempt to transition away from fossil fuels Democrats would lose in a landslide in the next election, so I think there's fat chance of that happening.

Nope. The numbers are remorseless.
The truth behind renewable energy
Can renewable energy sources supply the world with a large share of the energy it requires? While some environmentalists advocate the total replacement of fossil fuels by solar, wind and battery power, Dr Lars Schernikau explains why this is impossible.
Oh my, more opinion from Fossil Fuel Quarterly.

Oh my, more opinion from Fossil Fuel Quarterly.
". . . The author is all for sensible use of renewable energy and for reducing everyday energy waste. Society needs to invest in additional filtering systems, cleaner transportation and mining operations that minimise the negative impact on the planet. Moreover, many trees should be planted. However, are current climate actions good for the environment? Are today’s wind and solar technologies the solution to our energy problems? This article aims to take the reader on a journey away from current standard thinking. . . ."

About the author:

Dr. Lars Schernikau, born and raised in Berlin, Germany studied at New York University and INSEAD in France before earning his PhD in Energy Economics from Technical University in Berlin. Lars has extensive knowledge and experience in the raw material and energy sector. Lars has founded, worked for, and advised a number of companies and organizations in the energy, raw material, and coal sectors in Asia, Europe, Africa and the Americas. Before joining the world of energy and raw materials over 15 years ago he worked at Boston Consulting Group in the US and Germany. He published two industry trade books on the Economics of the International Coal Trade (Springer, available on Amazon) in 2010 and 2017. He is a member of various economics, energy and environmental associations including the non-profit CO2 Coalition in the US. He is a regular speaker at international energy and coal conferences and advised governments and leading energy organizations on energy policy. Lars can be reached at energyeconomics@top-email.net.

LOL we would already be there if liberals in the 70's hadn't pushed for massive expansion of coal to save the world from carbon free nuclear power

They will slowly transition out, like Biden said.

"There is little consensus over when the transition from fossil fuels to clean energy will take place. There are many different predictions about when global demand for oil will peak and fall away but the planners at Shell recently forecast it could happen as early as 2025.
So some oil-producing countries are playing safe and preparing for the moment when they can no longer rely on oil. They are looking to diversify their economies and find other sources of energy.
But other countries are more sceptical, trusting that demand for their oil and gas will last for some time.
Some of these countries stand accused of talking about diversification but doing little about it. The potential consequences of this are becoming an increasing source of concern."

LOL we would already be there if liberals in the 70's hadn't pushed for massive expansion of coal to save the world from carbon free nuclear power
Liberals who were politically active in the 70's are at the youngest approaching their 70s today, so I'm not sure it makes sense to blame today's liberals for whatever mistakes their predecessors may have made.

They will slowly transition out, like Biden said.

"There is little consensus over when the transition from fossil fuels to clean energy will take place. There are many different predictions about when global demand for oil will peak and fall away but the planners at Shell recently forecast it could happen as early as 2025.
So some oil-producing countries are playing safe and preparing for the moment when they can no longer rely on oil. They are looking to diversify their economies and find other sources of energy.
But other countries are more sceptical, trusting that demand for their oil and gas will last for some time.
Some of these countries stand accused of talking about diversification but doing little about it. The potential consequences of this are becoming an increasing source of concern."
Unicorns and fairy tales.

Even the Big Oil execs realize that fossil fuel usage in the US will be diminishing.

BP is now remaking itself from an oil and gas giant to an energy company.

Land Rover just came out with a new model electric SUV.

The transformation has begun.

Even the Big Oil execs realize that fossil fuel usage in the US will be diminishing.

BP is now remaking itself from an oil and gas giant to an energy company.

Land Rover just came out with a new model electric SUV.

The transformation has begun.
At least a century of transformation, maybe more, or maybe just a passing fad.

Liberals who were politically active in the 70's are at the youngest approaching their 70s today, so I'm not sure it makes sense to blame today's liberals for whatever mistakes their predecessors may have made.

Nuclear power is still carbon free today. Biomass not so much.

It looks like Jack's bosses in the energy industry have called him to action this morning.

I wonder if trying to influence ~80 people on a forum pays well or not.

You shouldn't worry at all. No need for this snark.

Biden's unforced lie sent a shiver through Pennsylvania and Texas and other energy-producer states.

Back
Top Bottom