• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden to "Transition" from Oil Industry

We will NEVER transition entirely from oil. AND, transitioning from GASOLINE in cars, leaves far more oil, for fertilizers, plastics, and other vital products that now wind up formulated into gasoline.
That's... that's not how oil works...

c2d62677-55ce-4d72-9f44-6524931e90d1-2020-hummer-ev-reveal-infinityroof-013-GMC-Hummer-BT1XX-FN-RoofOFF-v1-0.jpg

GM's electric Hummer.

It will be amusing to see neophyte off-roaders looking for charging stations deep in the wildreness.

Are there gas stations deep in the wilderness?

Are you still trying to claim that petroleum will be illegal?

There is no religious component to Julian Simon's wager. You are misinformed.

I never was a follower of Paul Erlich and you don't know if I am misinformed about anything but it is clear you assume a lot.
Now who is wasting who's time...

I seem to recall some wagers on abiotic oil, hmmmm, I'll dig one of them up sooner or later, it's been a long time.

You're the one who made the anti-religious crack.

Yes I did. That's because most cornucopeans believe that abiotic oil is proof that God left us an inexhaustible supply of the stuff.

I'm not sure Joe really believes in this, but the dynamics of last night's debate showed how he's been cornered by his green activist supporters. When he came out against the oil industry it seemed like the blunder of the night. It certainly made Pennsylvania a harder lift for him.

Biden Lets Mask Slip, Declares War on Oil & Gas

Scott McKay, American Spectator

“Would he close down the oil industry?” Trump asked. “Would you close down the oil industry?”

“I would transition from the oil industry, yes,” Biden responded.

That built upon a mountain of Green New Deal rhetoric he had spent much of the debate climbing by extolling the virtues of solar and wind energy and spinning yarns about all the great new jobs renewable energy would provide. Biden has had a problem for the length of his campaign due to his inability to give the country a straight answer on hydraulic fracturing. Thursday night he said he wouldn’t allow it on federal land and also said he wouldn’t allow any oil drilling at all on federal land, which wipes out the entire offshore drilling industry, but he’s been all over the map on that question, and depending on his audience he’s said whatever he thought they wanted to hear.

But prompted by Trump, he went full You Can’t Handle the Truth.

“That’s a big statement,” Trump said, and then rhetorically asked the voters in oil and gas states like Texas, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, and Ohio if they were listening. . . ."

The core message was correct, the delivery was poor.

Biden should have made a better point of 'over time' and stress that idea that he believes energy companies will see the economics of the transition, being leaders in that transition.... something to soften the message to those most threatened by it. He could have turned delivered his statement in a manner such that people saw a vision and an opportunity in it.

Well, now we know who's doing the assuming. I'm agnostic. Julian Simon was Jewish.

The fact that you and Simon don't fit the religious zealot majority of cornucopeans is small potatoes, because most cornucopeans are religious zealots.

Climate Warrior Biden Promises to Shut Down the US Oil Industry
During Thursday’s Presidential debate, President Biden made a clear statement that he intends to transition away from the oil industry. My question – what part does Burisma play in this plan?
Continue reading →
Sad part is that his dutiful worshippers actually believed him. They're all walking nodding like a herd of bobblehead dolls chanting "transition, yup, yup, Joe's gonna transition, yup, yup".

The core message was correct, the delivery was poor. He should have made a better point of 'over time' and stress that idea that he believes energy companies will see the economics of the transition and be leaders in that transition.... something to soften help those threatened by that statement to instead see opportunity in that statement.

In two minutes, at a presidential debate with a clown.
Never gonna happen.

Just like no one will explain the GND in two minutes either, which by the way isn't even a bill, it's a proposal, a wish list.

The core message was correct, the delivery was poor. He should have made a better point of 'over time' and stress that idea that he believes energy companies will see the economics of the transition and be leaders in that transition.... something to soften help those threatened by that statement to instead see opportunity in that statement.
I think that's nonsense, but my point was about political impact.

Sad part is that his dutiful worshippers actually believed him. They're all walking nodding like a herd of bobblehead dolls chanting "transition, yup, yup, Joe's gonna transition, yup, yup".
Hey guess what? You might still be commuting in a gasoline car in 2030 but your kids and most people under 25 today won't be, that's a fact.

The fact that you and Simon don't fit the religious zealot majority of cornucopeans is small potatoes, because most cornucopeans are religious zealots.
Which has nothing to do with the Simon-Ehrlich wager or the economic principle involved. Your assumptions have led you to miss the point.

But here's some political impact from people who thought they were the smartest guys in the room back when you were in high school:

"Nobody will ever need more than 640K of RAM"
"No one will ever have the need to burn their own DVD's"

I think that's nonsense, but my point was about political impact.

as was my response... it could have been delivered in a way that people were less threatened by it. I grimaced when I heard it. The words were too harsh.

Perhaps there was far more calculation in that message than I have credited. Though he likely freaked people in the oil business, he likely also thrilled environmentally conscious liberals. The former probably were voting, but not his voters; the latter might have sat home.

Which has nothing to do with the Simon-Ehrlich wager or the economic principle involved. Your assumptions have led you to miss the point.

One last time, you brought up Erlich. I dismissed his book when it came out.

Back
Top Bottom