• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden to "Transition" from Oil Industry

Sorry, but the mpg improvement is not 20 to 25 mpg. It's not even a large fraction of that. Takes years to recover cost.

The Cost Of Driving A Hybrid: How Many Miles Until You ...
www.moneyunder30.com › Cars

Apr 17, 2019 — When fuel efficient, hybrid cars like the Toyota Prius first hit the market, they ... takes a whopping 11.9 years to recoup the $4,000 higher sticker price. ... The fact that hybrids boast a longwarranty means they're meant to last ...
Fuel savings don't always ... · ‎Cost of repairs and ... · ‎Cost of depreciation
She is actually close to correct. The normal LX gets 12/16 and the hybrid gets 31/28 that is a savings of 19/12 per gallon.

He tries to backtrack now......

Whatever he really believes in, won't matter. It won't be up to Joe. If he wins, he won't be sitting president for long.
It will be KAMALA HARRIS!

Kamala Harris: 'No question' I would ban fracking

Kamala Harris’s Fracking Record Scares Big Oil But Attracts the Left

Video Resurfaces of Kamala Harris Saying She Wants to Ban Fracking After Saying Biden Will Not During VP Debate

If Biden wins,

those who work for the oil and gas industry - those who depend on the oil and gas industry for their income -
say goodbye to it!
I don't believe Fracking should be or will be ban
But I do believe that it has to be made safer
I am pretty sure most people on here do not have water wells and do not know the damage Fracking can do to them.
In areas in south west NY and North west PA it is a large area for natural Gas production and when they started fracking it did contaminate peoples water wells, and if the Gas co, aren't careful when they frack they can also in some cases drain the water out of peoples wells , it happened in these areas
So fracking if done right and with care not to pollute or drain the water system people in the country depend on I am for it.
It has opened up large pools of natural gas and has made the US the main producer of NG
Have a nice day

The more we use the more we find.

October 13, 2020
Revisiting the Simon-Ehrlich Wager 40 Years On
It is 1980, and you are getting married. Your parents decide to celebrate your nuptials by inviting 100 guests...

by Marian L. Tupy and Gale L. Pooley
This is true for both oil and natural gas. But the costs of getting it are getting higher both financially and environmentally as well. The disposal of waste fracking water is causing earthquakes in Ohio, Oklahoma and Texas. The long term effects of this activity may not be what we currently believe to be true. The boom and bust cycles are wreaking havoc in some small communities. Some handle the change successfully, others end up with problems with housing, crime and education.
There is no reason to transition, slowly, over time to renewable power. We have been told over and over that electric cars would never be feasible until they were. That the incandescent lamp was the only thing that worked. Now you can by LED lamps for any application and even ones that can change color and intensity with a remote control and use a fraction of the power and last a long time. When we really crack the storage issues, it will change everything.

Our 2012 RX 350 gets 18/25.
That is very decent for an SUV, but the new ones are not getting that. I personally prefer to drive my cars until they will not go anymore...the Prius I probably will fix, even when it dies, just to keep it as an extra....and it is worth fixing after lasting this long. The best mpg SUV is Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid, it gets 90 mpg...well the Kia Nero gets better at 104 mpg, but I do not consider Kia in the same league as what we are talking about.

Koch brothers (well, now it's just one brother since the other expired) are spending a fortune to push the oil narrative. After all, their entire business model depends on fossil fuels.

This is true for both oil and natural gas. But the costs of getting it are getting higher both financially and environmentally as well. The disposal of waste fracking water is causing earthquakes in Ohio, Oklahoma and Texas. The long term effects of this activity may not be what we currently believe to be true. The boom and bust cycles are wreaking havoc in some small communities. Some handle the change successfully, others end up with problems with housing, crime and education.
There is no reason to transition, slowly, over time to renewable power. We have been told over and over that electric cars would never be feasible until they were. That the incandescent lamp was the only thing that worked. Now you can by LED lamps for any application and even ones that can change color and intensity with a remote control and use a fraction of the power and last a long time. When we really crack the storage issues, it will change everything.
We'll be fine, and so will the environment.

That is very decent for an SUV, but the new ones are not getting that. I personally prefer to drive my cars until they will not go anymore...the Prius I probably will fix, even when it dies, just to keep it as an extra....and it is worth fixing after lasting this long. The best mpg SUV is Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid, it gets 90 mpg...well the Kia Nero gets better at 104 mpg, but I do not consider Kia in the same league as what we are talking about.

The new ones are better.

We will NEVER transition entirely from oil. AND, transitioning from GASOLINE in cars, leaves far more oil, for fertilizers, plastics, and other vital products that now wind up formulated into gasoline.

Yeah, and since over half of the oil pumped out of the ground is refined into gasoline for automobiles, the size of the global market for oil will diminish considerably. And most of the products made from that oil will be recyclable.

A far better use for long chain hydrocarbons than burning it one time and exhausting two thirds of the energy produced into the atmosphere!

Yeah, and since over half of the oil pumped out of the ground is refined into gasoline for automobiles, the size of the global market for oil will diminish considerably. And most of the products made from that oil will be recyclable.

A far better use for long chain hydrocarbons than burning it one time and exhausting two thirds of the energy produced into the atmosphere!
Automobile gasoline will remain a principal oil use for a very long time. Please note that while GM (for example) is touting their move to an all-electric fleet (watch this hand) they are focusing their manufacturing and advertising on large SUV's (don't watch this hand). It's called sleight-of-hand.

it’s kind of sad really.

Trump thinks that this fracking thing will win him Pennsylvania, and all the talk radio righties are singing right along.

Fracking isn‘t that large an employer in Pennsylvania, and it’s near term growth potential is zero, regardless of who wins the election.

However, Trump managed to convince a lot of guys in rust belt towns that he was going to wave his magic wand and produce thousands of high paying, low skill manufacturing jobs that any fool who barely finished high school could get. Just think! Union benefits without the union. Something for nothing. An empty promise.

Automobile gasoline will remain a principal oil use for a very long time. Please note that while GM (for example) is touting their move to an all-electric fleet (watch this hand) they are focusing their manufacturing and advertising on large SUV's (don't watch this hand). It's called sleight-of-hand.

For a decade or so, maybe. If it lasts that long. GM, Ford and Chrysler are all plugging big SUV’s because they are very profitable, and they know they have to save market share and build their balance sheets to insure they can ride the transition.

Since the first electric car most people will buy will be mark the last time they buy a gasoline powered car, the industry knows that this a paradigm shift is coming.

They also know (as GM is already highlighting) that electric vehicles free them from worries about EPA and CAFE standards. And electric car can be as big, as fast, and as capable as the customer wants it to be. And an electric SUV will cost 1/3 of what its direct gasoline eqivelaent does to operate.

And it will be far more reliable.

By late in the decade, the gassers will be the cars being phased out. Customers won’t want the hassles of gasoline, Nor will they want to deal with gas stations, oil changes, transmission repairs, coolent, and they won’t want to give up interior space to accommodate transfer cases, transmissions and drive shafts.

I know that most Trumpsters looks to an imaginary past for their vision of. the future.

For a decade or so, maybe. If it lasts that long. GM, Ford and Chrysler are all plugging big SUV’s because they are very profitable, and they know they have to save market share and build their balance sheets to insure they can ride the transition.

Since the first electric car most people will buy will be mark the last time they buy a gasoline powered car, the industry knows that this a paradigm shift is coming.

They also know (as GM is already highlighting) that electric vehicles free them from worries about EPA and CAFE standards. And electric car can be as big, as fast, and as capable as the customer wants it to be. And an electric SUV will cost 1/3 of what its direct gasoline eqivelaent does to operate.

By late in the decade, the gassers will be the cars being phased out. Customers won’t want the hassles of gasoline, Nor will they want to deal with gas stations, oil changes, transmission repairs, coolent, and they won’t want to give up interior space to accommodate transfer cases, transmissions and drive shafts.

I know that most Trumpsters looks to an imaginary past for their vision of. the future.
We shall see.

Battery Issues Continue To Plague Electric Cars…BMW Orders “Large-Scale” Recall Of Plugin Hybrids
By P Gosselin on 27. October 2020

Share this...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Technical snafus lead to mass recall of BMW hybrid vehicles. Image: Mario Roberto Durán Ortiz jCreative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.
Explosive car batteries? BMW recalls large number of electric hybrid cars
By A.R. Göhring
(Translated by P. Gosselin)
Reader M.P. points out how ‘auto motor sport’ and other magazines are reporting that BMW is recalling its plugin hybrids on a large scale. What is the problem?
Since August this year, BMW has been recalling its plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) models X1 to 3 and X5, 3 Series, 3 Series Touring, 2 Series Active Tourer, 7 Series, 5 Series (incl. Touring) and ‘Mini Countryman’.
The reasons given are production errors during welding and impurities, some of which may cause short circuits in the high-voltage battery (i.e. the traction battery). Production batches from the period January 20 to September 18 are partially affected.
In addition to the recall, there is also a delivery stop. More than 25,000 cars are affected worldwide, 8,000 of which are in the hands of customers (Germany: 5,300/1,800). The models already sold currently may not be charged; during trips only with restrictions. This should not be a problem, as many customers do not load their company cars off the grid.
At the end of October, the Federal Motor Transport Authority will start a check of the cars sold. The procedure will take about 30 minutes without repair, if necessary.
Not only BMW has the PHEV problem. Ford, too, has already had to call back its Kuga model. The reason was a memory error with fire hazard, which prohibited recharging the battery.
Read more: europe.autonews.com/hybrids-fire-risk-samsung-battery.

Battery Issues Continue To Plague Electric Cars…BMW Orders “Large-Scale” Recall Of Plugin Hybrids
By P Gosselin on 27. October 2020

Share this...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Technical snafus lead to mass recall of BMW hybrid vehicles. Image: Mario Roberto Durán Ortiz jCreative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.
Explosive car batteries? BMW recalls large number of electric hybrid cars
By A.R. Göhring
(Translated by P. Gosselin)
Reader M.P. points out how ‘auto motor sport’ and other magazines are reporting that BMW is recalling its plugin hybrids on a large scale. What is the problem?
Since August this year, BMW has been recalling its plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) models X1 to 3 and X5, 3 Series, 3 Series Touring, 2 Series Active Tourer, 7 Series, 5 Series (incl. Touring) and ‘Mini Countryman’.
The reasons given are production errors during welding and impurities, some of which may cause short circuits in the high-voltage battery (i.e. the traction battery). Production batches from the period January 20 to September 18 are partially affected.
In addition to the recall, there is also a delivery stop. More than 25,000 cars are affected worldwide, 8,000 of which are in the hands of customers (Germany: 5,300/1,800). The models already sold currently may not be charged; during trips only with restrictions. This should not be a problem, as many customers do not load their company cars off the grid.
At the end of October, the Federal Motor Transport Authority will start a check of the cars sold. The procedure will take about 30 minutes without repair, if necessary.
Not only BMW has the PHEV problem. Ford, too, has already had to call back its Kuga model. The reason was a memory error with fire hazard, which prohibited recharging the battery.
Read more: europe.autonews.com/hybrids-fire-risk-samsung-battery.

Yes, the flat earth crowd tells each other these oft recycled tales about battery fires. BMW has only been building electric cars for a couple of years, and their offerings are not that great.

As for batteries, I drove my hybrid 300,000 trouble free miles before having the battery rebuilt for $600. And my experience is typical.

So, scare stories passed around by the right wing crowd don’t impress me.

Yes, the flat earth crowd tells each other these oft recycled tales about battery fires. BMW has only been building electric cars for a couple of years, and their offerings are not that great.

As for batteries, I drove my hybrid 300,000 trouble free miles before having the battery rebuilt for $600. And my experience is typical.

So, scare stories passed around by the right wing crowd don’t impress me.
The automotive press is not a "right wing crowd."

You should also note that my '98 Durango 5.9 magnum gets 15 or so all around, if your careful and we get 9 towing the pontoon boat. A new vehicle with the same 7,500 lb tow rating will get close to 25 all around. (Regardless we love miss piggy) She took us over Donner Pass, (9,400 ft) in a blizzard with a 20 ft cargo trailer. Had chains on 6 wheels with trailer brakes. We were the last vehicle they let go.
Wouldn't like to do that again.

Back
Top Bottom