• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden To Sign Emmett Till Bill Making Lynching a Federal Hate Crime

It's about time.

The congress has been trying to get this passed for several years.

I'm proud of our congress to finally get this bill into law.

I look forward to when Biden signs it into law.

That ought to make some heads explode.

It's about time.

Redundant nonsense, murdering someone has been a crime forever.
But I get it, Our President, President Joe Biden, is just giving a nod to the "oppressed" faction.;):rolleyes:
Our Presidents record on crime and thugs though is very well documented all through his illustrious and storied career.

This is fine, Our President has to be a politician, but basically 100% redundant and unnecessary just like the Dont Say Gay law in Fla. Doesnt hurt me any though.

I thought murder was already a crime? 🤷‍♂️

The people you need to ask that question to are the 50 republicans in our senate.

It passed the senate with a unanimous vote.

Your reply is the exact same reply from conservatives when the congress first tried to pass the original hate crimes laws.

This isn't the 20th century anymore. You might want to try new material.

The people you need to ask that question to are the 50 republicans in our senate.

It passed the senate with a unanimous vote.

Your reply is the exact same reply from conservatives when the congress first tried to pass the original hate crimes laws.

This isn't the 20th century anymore. You might want to try new material.

Of course they did, it's optics.

They could make a new law banning suicide bombing and it would be unanimous.

It's about time.

A few decades too late.

It's about time.

Lynching becomes a federal hate crime. Okay, when was the last lynching in the U.S.? 1981. So something that hasn’t happened in 41 years now becomes a hate crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynch...nching of Michael Donald,his body from a tree.

Is this a piece of just in case legislation? It seems rather meaningless for today’s day and age. No one lynches anyone these days. If they did or do, they will be charged with murder anyway. Oh well, it is what it is.

Wrong. You should have actually read the OP and you wouldn't post these dumb things.

I suggest reading the OP before opining next time.

I did read it unlike you, "Under the bill, an offense can be prosecuted as a lynching when the offender conspires to commit a hate crime that results in someone's death or serious bodily injury under this bill."

Guess what conspiracy to commit murder is already a crime. Redundant laws are redundant no matter the good intentions

Of course they did, it's optics.

They could make a new law banning suicide bombing and it would be unanimous.

Exactly, its optics that changes absolutely nothing. Its a way they can say "See, we care about you blacks", but it doesnt change a damned thing one way or the other.

The Dean Wormer bill. Now everyone that's into lynching is on double secret probation!

I did read it unlike you, "Under the bill, an offense can be prosecuted as a lynching when the offender conspires to commit a hate crime that results in someone's death or serious bodily injury under this bill."

Guess what conspiracy to commit murder is already a crime. Redundant laws are redundant no matter the good intentions

You didn't read it. It didn't make "murder" illegal. It made lynching a hate crime (it didn't change the definition of murder), and it also affixes additional penalties to a lynching crime.

Next time read the article and you don't post stupid things, like you did.

Lynching becomes a federal hate crime. Okay, when was the last lynching in the U.S.? 1981. So something that hasn’t happened in 41 years now becomes a hate crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Michael_Donald#:~:text=The lynching of Michael Donald,his body from a tree.

Is this a piece of just in case legislation? It seems rather meaningless for today’s day and age. No one lynches anyone these days. If they did or do, they will be charged with murder anyway. Oh well, it is what it is.

They will be charged with murder. They wouldn't have been charged with a hate crime. They will now.

And when did "it hasn't happened in 40 years" become something the lawmakers consider when voting on bills?

This is a good bill. It sends a message. Nothing wrong with that.

You didn't read it. It didn't make "murder" illegal. It made lynching a hate crime (it didn't change the definition of murder), and it also affixes additional penalties to a lynching crime.

Murder has the penalty of death, what more are you gonna add to that?

Next time read the article and you don't post stupid things, like you did.

I did read the article but unlike you I was unable to comprehend what it was saying. Maybe you should take just a few seconds to compose your thoughts before you type them out and your posts wouldn't look like a horse typed them.

Murder has the penalty of death, what more are you gonna add to that?

I did read the article but unlike you I was unable to comprehend what it was saying. Maybe you should take just a few seconds to compose your thoughts before you type them out and your posts wouldn't look like a horse typed them.

The additional penalty for a lynching is disclosed in the article you didn't read.

Maybe you should read links before posting stupid things like "I thought murder was already illegal".

And no, murder does not have the penalty of death. Where did you come up with that?

Yup.

But a federal hate crime means the federal investigators can get involved in cases where someone was lynched, and not leave it up to local authorities who might have an interest in keeping it quiet.

I think?

They will be charged with murder. They wouldn't have been charged with a hate crime. They will now.

And when did "it hasn't happened in 40 years" become something the lawmakers consider when voting on bills?

This is a good bill. It sends a message. Nothing wrong with that.

Laws aren't supposed to "send a message" they are supposed to have a purpose. This law has no purpose expect to further complicate the already incomprehensible penal code.

This is bureaucracy at its finest a feel good bill that doesn't absolutely nothing in reality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Michael_Donald#:~:text=The lynching of Michael Donald,his body from a tree.

Please read the article I included in my OP.

It will clear things up for you.

If you have further questions you are asking the wrong person. The people you need to ask are all of the 50 republican senators in our senate. Every single one of them voted for it. Not even one of them voted no.

The bill passed with a unanimous vote.

A murder committed in a state is not a federal crime, but a hate crime is.... it gives the federal government greater discretion over such prosecutions when states that fail to properly enforce their laws.

A murder committed in a state is not a federal crime, but a hate crime is.... it gives the federal government greater discretion over such prosecutions when states that fail to properly enforce their laws.

Exactly to my point, it's a new law banning murder despite all 50 states and the federal govt having laws against murder.

Back
Top Bottom