• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden To Sign Emmett Till Bill Making Lynching a Federal Hate Crime

Exactly to my point, it's a new law banning murder despite all 50 states and the federal govt having laws against murder.
No.

It's a law that lets the federal government take over an investigation into a lynching if they decide the local or state authorities are not doing a good enough job.

shrug...

The last lynching in the US was more than 40 years ago, but hey...better late than never when it comes to passing useless laws to try to say, "See? WE care about the people!!"

Exactly to my point, it's a new law banning murder despite all 50 states and the federal govt having laws against murder.
No, its a civil rights law, which is the domain of the federal government. Otherwise, the DoJ has no jurisidication over a murder in a state. New laws come about when old laws do not work. A lynching is not a simple murder.

Weird hill to die on I guess. This is one of those times keeping your mouth shut would have been the better option

Sometimes the local PD aides with the murderers in a lynching, if that is news to you, that’s white privilege for ya.

No.

It's a law that lets the federal government take over an investigation into a lynching if they decide the local or state authorities are not doing a good enough job.

Ok so if we take that the last lynching happened over 40 years ago, what practical effect does the law have?

Sometimes the local PD aides with the murderers in a lynching, if that is news to you, that’s white privilege for ya.

It's not news but it is old news

They will be charged with murder. They wouldn't have been charged with a hate crime. They will now.

And when did "it hasn't happened in 40 years" become something the lawmakers consider when voting on bills?

This is a good bill. It sends a message. Nothing wrong with that.
Okay, still makes no sense to me. Being charged with murder can produce the death penalty whether it's a hate crime or not. Does making it a hate make the death penalty mandatory? I don't know. Just seems unneccesary to me to make something that hadn't happened in over 40 years a hate crime. It seems a message was sent 40 years ago since no lynching has occurred since then. I could be wrong. It's akin to making human sacrifice a hate crime, that also something that hasn't happened in a long time.

It's not news but it is old news
“This problem has existed for a long time, therefore we shouldn’t take steps to mitigate it” is not a compelling argument.

Ok so if we take that the last lynching happened over 40 years ago, what practical effect does the law have?
So if it happens again, federal authorities can investigate.
One of the issues when it happened previously was that far too often the local law enforcement were intimately involved participants.

If Trump or someone like him becomes President, and perhaps even if they don't, I fully expect a group of idiots to try it again. I'd give it an at least 75% chance.

Okay, still makes no sense to me. Being charged with murder can produce the death penalty whether it's a hate crime or not. Does making it a hate make the death penalty mandatory? I don't know. Just seems unneccesary to me to make something that hadn't happened in over 40 years a hate crime. It seems a message was sent 40 years ago since no lynching has occurred since then. I could be wrong. It's akin to making human sacrifice a hate crime, that also something that hasn't happened in a long time.
Lynchings continue to happen, they just don’t always involve hanging.

Laws aren't supposed to "send a message" they are supposed to have a purpose. This law has no purpose expect to further complicate the already incomprehensible penal code.

This is bureaucracy at its finest a feel good bill that doesn't absolutely nothing in reality

Seriously? Sometimes the purpose of a law is to deter - i.e. send a message.

Reactions: AJG
Please read the article I included in my OP.

It will clear things up for you.

If you have further questions you are asking the wrong person. The people you need to ask are all of the 50 republican senators in our senate. Every single one of them voted for it. Not even one of them voted no.

The bill passed with a unanimous vote.
Doesn't matter to me who voted for it or against it. But I suppose I can take comfort in knowing if a lynching occurs in the future, it will be considered a hate crime. Just seems like a worthless piece of legislation. Whatever floats their boat I suppose.

I thought murder was already a crime? 🤷‍♂️

Do you also oppose laws against terrorism? After all, we have laws against murder, and terrorism is just a more elaborately planned out murder for political reasons, so clearly we don’t need laws against it…..right?

🙄

That ought to make some heads explode.
Not in flori-duh, here we're busy passing bills to not teach any kind of sex education to kindergartners through third graders. It was a necessary law, before it was passed the libs in florida were grooming the younguns' for all sorts of demonic activities.

Lynchings continue to happen, they just don’t always involve hanging.
If it doesn't involve hanging, is it a lynching? When you lynch someone, you hang them.

A murder committed in a state is not a federal crime, but a hate crime is.... it gives the federal government greater discretion over such prosecutions when states that fail to properly enforce their laws.

I remember there were some recent cases of hangings that were ruled suicides, maybe this will lead to further investigation? https://archive.couriernewsroom.com...re-found-hanged-in-3-weeks-what-is-happening/

If it doesn't involve hanging, is it a lynching? When you lynch someone, you hang them.
Yes, the basic definition is a mob killing under a pretense of justice without a trial. Hanging is just the “traditional” method of murder.

Not in flori-duh, here we're busy passing bills to not teach any kind of sex education to kindergartners through third graders. It was a necessary law, before it was passed the libs in florida were grooming the younguns' for all sorts of demonic activities.

So I heard.

Why is it that the right sees pedophilia in everything? Disgusting perverts.

It's about time.

The congress has been trying to get this passed for several years.

I'm proud of our congress to finally get this bill into law.

I look forward to when Biden signs it into law.

So that we can prosecute something that hasn’t happened for 50 years? Damn the Biden regime is really tackling the big issues facing America.

So I heard.

Why is it that the right sees pedophilia in everything? Disgusting perverts.
Because the left openly admires pederasts like Harvey Milk

Back
Top Bottom