• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden to ban Russian oil imports

I said he should lead and do it not follow but yeah following is better than not doing it at all.
The following was prophetic. lol
he just did what you said he should do, within a couple weeks, and now you're crying.

just admit you self owned yourself and move on.

he just did what you said he should do, within a couple weeks, and now you're crying.

just admit you self owned yourself and move on.
The bolded was the point, the whole point and nothing but the point.
Leading from behind, is that exact thing.

But yes, I sure am glad he finally did what the people wanted him to do , even if it was weeks late.

The bolded was the point, the whole point and nothing but the point.
Leading from behind, is that exact thing.

But yes, I sure am glad he finally did what the people wanted him to do , even if it was weeks late.
I realize long term strategy in complex matters like this gives righties a headache, but the point of sanctions and diplomatic approaches to situations like this, is you can't push your chips all in on the first hand. Banning oil from russia was one of many chips we had to play. We've slowly added to the pot, which is the prudent thing to do.

I realize long term strategy in complex matters like this gives righties a headache, but the point of sanctions and diplomatic approaches to situations like this, is you can't push your chips all in on the first hand. Banning oil from russia was one of many chips we had to play. We've slowly added to the pot, which is the prudent thing to do.
Yes, I imagine waiting to play cards while people died is a 'leftist' thing then.

Yes, I imagine waiting to play cards while people died is a 'leftist' thing then.
lol, the fake outrage from righties is hilarious.

What do you imagine should have been done? Send in US troops? We can't attack a nuclear power, unless they attack us or a NATO ally first. Again, I get that complex issues such as this are difficult for our right leaning friends to comprehend.

What do you imagine should have been done? Send in US troops? We can't attack a nuclear power, unless they attack us or a NATO ally first. Again, I get that complex issues such as this are difficult for our right leaning friends to comprehend.
When you result in making shit up, as is all too common here, you've lost the argument.

When you result in making shit up, as is all too common here, you've lost the argument.
oh goodie, this is going to be fun.

Please show anywhere in my post, where I made something up. When you can't do that, I expect an apology.

oh goodie, this is going to be fun.

Please show anywhere in my post, where I made something up. When you can't do that, I expect an apology.

All of that post was you making shit up. We were just discussing the oil embargo, and you jumped ship and went into what should we have done with a bunch of red herrings.
You play the cards most effective at STOPPING the action you want stopped. Slow playing a hand got people ****ing killed.

All of that post was you making shit up.
Where? You didn't highlight anything that was made up.
We were just discussing the oil embargo, and you jumped ship and went into what should we have done with a bunch of red herrings.
I'm sorry that I poked a giant hole in your silly argument. I was trying to explain in simple terms how geopolitical issues like this, are not so simple. Obviously that is too difficult for you to grasp.
You play the cards most effective at STOPPING the action you want stopped. Slow playing a hand got people ****ing killed.
And I explained how and why that is hilariously incorrect. There is NOTHING we could have done to STOP russia from invading. Nothing what so ever. We can not attack a nuclear power unless they attack us or a NATO ally.

Lightening the thread a bit:

But they would be producing it here, under the watchful eye of the government ...
What stops them from having a US price and a global one?

I understand what you are saying, it seems that you cannot fathom what I am though.
The actual cost to pull a barrel of oil from the ground surely is radically different amongst the different international producers
I would guess that Brazil would be the cheapest, Iran next, then China, Russia, and the US
US oil production is probably the most expensive due to higher labor and overhead costs
One could argue that financial penalties for US oil companies selling to foreign markets would help
The problem is how to maintain a Laissez Faire economy but not over regulating domestic oil production
I don’t know enough of the market to speculate

D1E56E60-9E1A-4656-BCC4-2343402EB368.png

The actual cost to pull a barrel of oil from the ground surely is radically different amongst the different international producers
I would guess that Brazil would be the cheapest, Iran next, then China, Russia, and the US
US oil production is probably the most expensive due to higher labor and overhead costs
One could argue that financial penalties for US oil companies selling to foreign markets would help
The problem is how to maintain a Laissez Faire economy but not over regulating domestic oil production
I don’t know enough of the market to speculate

View attachment 67379101
Of course all that you posted is true. Which is why when the oil price, globally, is high. The US can produce massive amounts, due to the price point making it profitable to do so.
If oil stays high, like now, then the US HAS the capability to be energy independent from that global market if they would get out of their own way.

If the global price of oil drops below that price point then we can go back to buying oil at lower prices.

Of course all that you posted is true. Which is why when the oil price, globally, is high. The US can produce massive amounts, due to the price point making it profitable to do so.
If oil stays high, like now, then the US HAS the capability to be energy independent from that global market if they would get out of their own way.

If the global price of oil drops below that price point then we can go back to buying oil at lower prices.

None the less, it will NOT be energy independent in the case of oil that is refined into gasoline.

That was the dirty secret that all the right wing yelling about Keystone XL is intended to hide. Keystone was not conceived nor would it ever be used to move light sweet crude. Canadian tar sands oil (which is not American, dispite the right wing notion that It is), is heavy, dirty and highly corrosive, and can only be refined into heavy oil products like ashphalt and #2 bunker oil.

If the US wants to be energy independent, or for any other country, is renewables.

Cut the oil tit, and what Saudi Arabia, Russia, Nigeria, Venezuela the frackers and big oil won’t matter anymore.

And electric power comes from domestic fossil fuel and renewable supplies.

Electrify ground transportation in the US, and you’ll have real energy independence.

The oil producers are not increasing production because they see that there is going to be an increasingly viable substitute for their product, and that the major gasoline consumers are going to embrace it.

So, they’re keeping supplies tight, and prices high, while they still have a chance.

Last edited:
None the less, it will NOT be energy independent in the case of oil that is refined into gasoline.

That was the dirty secret that all the right wing yelling about Keystone XL is intended to hide. Keystone was not conceived nor would it ever be used to move light sweet crude. Canadian tar sands oil (which is not American, dispite the right wing notion that It is).
It certainly COULD be. Once the price point makes it so, the refineries that could handle those tar sands would be built, here.
Regardless, my posts are not about any Keystone pipeline, but it is an overview of what could be done to become energy independent.

We should be looking for multiple sources, including nuclear, wind, solar, hydro, as well as keeping current with levels using OIL.

It certainly COULD be. Once the price point makes it so, the refineries that could handle those tar sands would be built, here.
Regardless, my posts are not about any Keystone pipeline, but it is an overview of what could be done to become energy independent.

We should be looking for multiple sources, including nuclear, wind, solar, hydro, as well as keeping current with levels using OIL.

Probably not.

Tar sands oil has been oozing through the Keystone pipeline for years, and that has never happened.

You can’t make any significant amount of gasoline out of dirty high sulphur oil.

Your overview depends on the assumption that the price of oil will remain above $100 a barrel for the foreseeable future.

Even with the Ukraine War, no one actually believes that will happen.

Low oil prices were pricing the fracking industry out of the market, and will do so again. Which is why they’re not increasing production. And why TransCanada is not renewing calls to build that tar sands pipeline.

There is actually plenty of oil around. And prices will drop. The tar sands guys and the frackers will again be prices out of the market.

You can forget nuclear. The reality of an army creating a nuclear disaster came very close to coming true.

Meanwhile renewables continue to drop in cost and batteries are getting cheaper and more efffient.

And when significant portions of the developed world goes electric, the demand for oil for gasoline will begin to slowly and then rapidly drop.

They know that in Saudi Arabia, and Texas, if not in Moscow.

That's one reason that the UEA said they will increase production, so it will not be economical for the USA and Canada to produce that oil.

Back
Top Bottom