• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden: 'The pandemic is over'

Chillfolks

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

President Joe Biden said he believes the Covid-19 pandemic is "over" in an appearance on CBS' "60 Minutes," but acknowledged the US still has a "problem" with the virus that has killed more than 1 million Americans.

Do you agree is it over.

I suspect a clarification statement from the WH will be issued in the morning

Do you agree is it over.

Did he say he destroyed covid? You know, like he promised during his campaign?

Do you agree is it over.

Yes I do for healthy people. That said if you didn't get a vaccination or booster it could be worse than a mild cold if you still get it. Or if you have risk factors.

Do you agree is it over.

Uh oh. He's going to get in trouble. Doesn't he know that this pandemic will never be over, in the left's collective wee minds? They need it to scare people, assume power that they don't have, etc...

Uh oh. He's going to get in trouble. Doesn't he know that this pandemic will never be over, in the left's collective wee minds? They need it to scare people, assume power that they don't have, etc...
Or in the minds of anyone that wants to discredit the president like yourself.

Do you agree is it over.

I don't believe we will see lockdowns or shutdowns again due to the virus. That's obviously due to the vaccine, and people acting responsibly.

I would say at this point COVID is endemic
If we are not endemic, we are near there. It will likely be with us for years to come.

I think people think that the end of the epidemic is equivalent to eradication.

We have decent prevention and improving therapeutics.

We just need to be vigilant -- looking for it to show signs of change.

Really? You can't let it go for one thread, can you? I wonder what it must be like to live in the mind of a Rightie who has nothing but bleating - constantly.
JAYSUS!

In terms of epidemiology, no it's not over, and probably won't be for several years. I'm not sure there will ever be a moment we can say it's over. It will just kinda gradually recede into background noise.

In terms of resuming our normal lives, yes, the pandemic is over for most of us. As it should be.

True, but a year too late.

Or in the minds of anyone that wants to discredit the president like yourself.
I mean seriously, it becomes more nauseating day after day with these Righties how have just a fixed set of phrases and drag them out every chance they get.
No debate, no discussion, just automatically go to their Fox fed talking points.

Another damned if you do, damned if you do not. No matter what Biden said to that question, or during that exchange, there was risk of pushback.

Is covid all over with? Of course not.

Are we looking at massive spikes or some other lockdown? Does not appear to the the case.

Is covid still prevalent over the country? Depending on how you look at the numbers, it could be.

EGADS!
I thought we were doing better in Canada with vaccination rates, but damn it, we aren't near the top.
BUT....... we are still way ahead of the U.S. in terms of vaccination rates.

I'd have to see the comments in context, but no, it isn't over.

Do you agree is it over.

It's not over until the teachers unions decide it's over, not him.

When a pandemic becomes an endemic, does that mean the pandemic has ended?

If yes...then yes.

It's not over until the teachers unions decide it's over, not him.
WOW, what a wise and sagacious come back that was. I am imagining it must have taken you all day of careful contemplation to come up with that line. You are a genius. Seriously, how do you do it? Do you sit with pen and paper all day long thinking to yourself "what is the most clever line I can come up with?" or does it just pop into your head?

Do you agree is it over.

It's over in the same way the flu is: it'll always be out there, but there's a vaccine for that. Take it unless you feel lucky. I'm vaxxed and living my life normally.

Do you agree is it over.

Over in the sense that it has already been declared "ENDEMIC" about six months ago and in the sense that as long as you keep your boosters up to date, you may get sick but it's going to be a five day minor inconvenience for 99% of those with up to date shots.

Viral epidemics DO END, you know.
They may come back in a slightly different form years later, and for a while folks will be confused as to what they're encountering but virologists might get the clues and explain
what has happened.

Even in the millennia BEFORE vaccines, viral epidemics eventually wound down. They exacted an awful price on all kinds of levels, they altered key aspects of human behavior and they even altered the way our bodies evolve. They left their mark on society that in some cases have lasted for centuries.

"Ring around the rosie, pocket full of posies, ashes ashes, we all fall down!" is about a viral epidemic from 400 years ago, I think.
Even the old "NO SPITTING" signs common to downtown streets dates back to the 1918 "flu" epidemic, which is now thought by some virologists to possibly be an older SARS epidemic.

Just my opinion, but I do think this COVID epidemic has changed behavior for some, maybe even a lot.
I wasn't too thrilled about modern movie theaters for a number of years because the quality of Hollywood movies has begun to suck pretty hard, lousy projectionists, overpriced and audiences who can't behave proper. Then add in random shootings by whackos, and now with COVID and the unvaccinated ass-hats, and I am now done with theaters.

And that's just one aspect of my life changed by COVID, another is the fact that unless it's a goddam emergency, I won't fly anymore, hated it already anyway.
And since FAA refuses to insist on people being vaccinated to fly, no way am I stuffing my dumb ass in a metal tube full of idiots for four hours.

But here's where I believe "it's over" ---- I no longer fear I will wind up as fertilizer if I catch it again.
I just don't feel like volunteering to risk getting sick because jackasses won't get their shots.

Do you agree is it over.

The WHO has not declared the pandemic over yet. So technically Biden is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom