• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Tells Protester to 'Vote for Trump'

Joe Biden lashes out at protesters, telling one to '''vote for Trump''' - Business Insider

Biden says, ‘Vote for Trump,’ to immigration activist

Incredible. Of course it wasn't even given a single mention on CNN or MSNBC (not to my knowledge after some searching), showing up literally everywhere else in the media.

The sheer arrogance (or idiocy) of Biden is simply staggering; from the sound of things, you might figure he had already won the nomination, and there isn't a broad field of superior alternatives to a scarcely articulate man with probable dementia high on his own hubris.

I don't like Biden and I doubt any Trump supporter is aware of the fact that deportations went up during the Obama years. But I had to comment to say that it's hard to take the claim that Biden was being demeaning and rude when the thumbnail shows him placing a hand on the shoulder of the angry protester. I saw the whole thing and it was an organized, disruptive demonstration that ended pretty amicably. That guy got a lot of words in, Biden was not confrontational at all, he just said "vote for Trump." What exactly is the issue? Lack of empathy? Yeah, he's probably not super empathetic. He lacks many desirable qualities, but that's not news.

I find Biden running for President in the first place to be more patronizing to the American people than this incident was.

I don't like Biden and I doubt any Trump supporter is aware of the fact that deportations went up during the Obama years. But I had to comment to say that it's hard to take the claim that Biden was being demeaning and rude when the thumbnail shows him placing a hand on the shoulder of the angry protester. I saw the whole thing and it was an organized, disruptive demonstration that ended pretty amicably. That guy got a lot of words in, Biden was not confrontational at all, he just said "vote for Trump." What exactly is the issue? Lack of empathy? Yeah, he's probably not super empathetic. He lacks many desirable qualities, but that's not news.

I find Biden running for President in the first place to be more patronizing to the American people than this incident was.

It's really more about the arrogance and disdain than the lack of empathy (though there's certainly that too); again, Biden behaves like someone who has already won the nomination, where the only alternative is the orange baboon in the White House as opposed to a wide field of candidates, most of which are more appealing than him. Certainly things went well up until Joe decided to interrupt a man who was politely making his case with the commandment to vote for Trump before turning away. This wasn't some heckler, or some Republican plant as you noted; he was a loyal democrat and Obama campaign volunteer who was voicing his disappointment with past policy, only to be summarily rebuffed in one of the most asinine and disrespectful ways I can imagine.

Moreover, this is one of many missteps of Biden with respect to the Latino community and the issue of immigration; it's part of a pattern; one so prominent it compelled one of his top aides to quit: Biden’s senior Latina adviser quits in frustration - POLITICO

I don't see how this could be at all considered a non-incident; there will certainly be a political price to pay, and rightly so. Despite Joe's less than stellar bona fides on the subject, I was actually surprised upon hearing this and watching the video.

Last edited:
No one is arguing that Obama is worse than Trump in terms of family separations, but Obama's deportation policy was still stringent and fairly iron fisted, and he made missteps; that Trump is worse doesn't somehow negate this.

Moreover, what I said was factual; the focus here was on families, and the adverse impact of Obama's immigration policy, and something that people in the crowd clearly wanted assurances from Biden about given his connection to that policy, and his standing as a frontrunning candidate.

What's false about it?

Do you feel that Biden interrupting and repeatedly telling a loyal democrat and a campaign volunteer to "vote Trump" before literally turning his back on him is somehow acceptable conduct?

It doesn't matter whether that Dem wanted to stop all deportations or not; he was polite, and nothing he did warranted this kind of untenable reaction. Biden's behaviour was disgusting and unbecoming of anyone seeking to be president, more in line with Trump than anything else.
There is no argument that Trump’s immigration/deportation policies have been inhumane and abhorrent. Your blatant lies can’t hide the facts.

The (false) premise of this thread is crap. Someone tried to push Biden into committing to halt all deportations. An insultingly stupid request.

Again, thread fail.

There is no argument that Trump’s immigration/deportation policies have been inhumane and abhorrent. Your blatant lies can’t hide the facts.

The (false) premise of this thread is crap. Someone tried to push Biden into committing to halt all deportations. An insultingly stupid request.

What lies?

Trump wasn't the focus here, nor does he have to be brought up every time someone wishes to critique the prior administration, or get answers or assurances on policy; don't be ridiculous.

Lastly, even if Biden disagrees with the man's position, there is simply no excuse for that kind of disrespectful reply, and there were many better ways to handle the situation.

It's really more about the arrogance and disdain than the lack of empathy (though there's certainly that too); again, Biden behaves like someone who has already won the nomination, where the only alternative is the orange baboon in the White House as opposed to a wide field of candidates, most of which are more appealing than him. Certainly things went well up until Joe decided to interrupt a man who was politely making his case with the commandment to vote for Trump before turning away. This wasn't some heckler, or some Republican plant as you noted; he was a loyal democrat and Obama campaign volunteer who was voicing his disappointment with past policy, only to be summarily rebuffed in one of the most asinine and disrespectful ways I can imagine.

Moreover, this is one of many missteps of Biden with respect to the Latino community and the issue of immigration; it's part of a pattern; one so prominent it compelled one of his top aides to quit: Biden’s senior Latina adviser quits in frustration - POLITICO

I don't see how this could be at all considered a non-incident; there will certainly be a political price to pay, and rightly so. Despite Joe's less than stellar bona fides on the subject, I was actually surprised upon hearing this and watching the video.

So,
A. We're on the same side.
B. It didn't happen anything like you say it did
C.I didn't say the guy was a Republican plant. I said there was an organized protest. There was. Uhg, I'm going to quote Twitter (Eric Bradner):

“You should vote for Trump,” Joe Biden tells @CosechaMovement protester Carlos Rojas at tonight’s town hall in Greenwood, S.C.

Rojas and other protesters from the group were criticizing Obama-era deportations and asked Biden to say he’d end all deportations — which he rejected.

I saw this video like a week ago, there was a group holding up signs and they were chanting. He didn't cut off a guy politely asking a question. He took and then gave a lengthy answer to the question. They probably took issue with the strict immigration policies of the center-left. That's fine but I don't like protests at town hall style events, they are designed to disrupt and get attention. Not my style. The guy asked a question, Joe was responding, the guy went up chanting with his group and holding a sign (while members of his group were yelling at Biden). How can you consider that not disruptive? Biden continues to engage and discuss immigration with the man for 2 minutes after he says "you should vote for Trump." And when he said "you should vote for Trump" it wasn't in response to his question, the question preceded the beginning of the clip But I will say that after watching the video, I did find it to be rude. But I don't think cherry picking that moment and acting like that's all he said is dishonest.

Biden's like my fifth choice though. I think there's no way he'll be the nominee. Democrats have evolved, and stagnation is neither in their nature or best interest.

Lol trump doesn't need to campaign he just needs Joe biden to keep talking.

So,
A. We're on the same side.
B. It didn't happen anything like you say it did
C.I didn't say the guy was a Republican plant. I said there was an organized protest. There was. Uhg, I'm going to quote Twitter (Eric Bradner):

I saw this video like a week ago, there was a group holding up signs and they were chanting. He didn't cut off a guy politely asking a question. He took and then gave a lengthy answer to the question. They probably took issue with the strict immigration policies of the center-left. That's fine but I don't like protests at town hall style events, they are designed to disrupt and get attention. Not my style. The guy asked a question, Joe was responding, the guy went up chanting with his group and holding a sign (while members of his group were yelling at Biden). How can you consider that not disruptive? Biden continues to engage and discuss immigration with the man for 2 minutes after he says "you should vote for Trump." And when he said "you should vote for Trump" it wasn't in response to his question, the question preceded the beginning of the clip But I will say that after watching the video, I did find it to be rude. But I don't think cherry picking that moment and acting like that's all he said is dishonest.

Biden's like my fifth choice though. I think there's no way he'll be the nominee. Democrats have evolved, and stagnation is neither in their nature or best interest.

How did it not happen like I said it did? The addition of context in your link doesn't really undermine my summary.

Things were still very polite up until the moment Biden indeed interrupted the protestor in one of the worst ways imaginable, which is the crux of the issue here, though I will give partial credit to Biden for at least trying to make amends after, though it still doesn't excuse his reaction; it was such an obvious unforced error.

What lies?
.... Obama is worse than Trump in terms of family separations, ....
HHS issued a report (link to report in attached article) in January of this year that stated:
“That report also said the department had “thus far identified 2,737 children in its care at that time who were separated from their parents. However, thousands of children may have been separated during an influx that began in 2017”.

“ As for the number of children who were separated under Obama, there have been no official figures released — but, as we said, the HHS inspector general noted that such separations were rare.”
Falsehoods About Family Separations Linger Online - FactCheck.org

Trump wasn't the focus here, nor does he have to be brought up every time someone wishes to critique the prior administration, or get answers or assurances on policy; don't be ridiculous.
Ridiculous is your obvious feigned indignation that a comparison is made with Trump’s abhorrent family separation policy.

Lastly, even if Biden disagrees with the man's position, there is simply no excuse for that kind of disrespectful reply, and there were many better ways to handle the situation.
More obvious feigned indignation.

HHS issued a report (link to report in attached article) in January of this year that stated:
“That report also said the department had “thus far identified 2,737 children in its care at that time who were separated from their parents. However, thousands of children may have been separated during an influx that began in 2017”.

“ As for the number of children who were separated under Obama, there have been no official figures released — but, as we said, the HHS inspector general noted that such separations were rare.”
Falsehoods About Family Separations Linger Online - FactCheck.org

You literally didn't read the post (or are selectively misquoting it):

No one is arguing that Obama is worse than Trump in terms of family separations...

Ridiculous is your obvious feigned indignation that a comparison is made with Trump’s abhorrent family separation policy.

More obvious feigned indignation.

If you say so. I know what my feelings on Biden's response are, thanks, but you go on carrying water for Biden and aiming to excuse his blatantly unacceptable behaviour by all means.

Last edited:
How did it not happen like I said it did? The addition of context in your link doesn't really undermine my summary.

Things were still very polite up until the moment Biden indeed interrupted the protestor in one of the worst ways imaginable, which is the crux of the issue here, though I will give partial credit to Biden for at least trying to make amends after, though it still doesn't excuse his reaction; it was such an obvious unforced error.

Well, I say this politely, seems to imply that this was just a man who attended the meeting and wanted to ask a question and Biden basically said "I'm your only choice, live with it." But they had a dialogue and discussed ideas before the group that the man was the leader of became verbally disruptive to the entire town hall trying to shed light on the lack of compassion of government policies which existed before, during and after Obama was in office. Biden showed that his skin has gotten rather thin (permanently or temporarily). But the crowd cheered when the group of demonstrators was removed, so either they were being really annoying or Biden's fans are way more dedicated to his candidacy than I would expect them to be. But yeah, I watched the video again and it's pretty annoying that he said what he said.

It was bad optics for Biden, awful optics, horrible optics, and it is the sign of Joe Biden being under a lot of stress, and he hasn't even won the nomination yet, much less moved into the White House.
If he's cracking this badly in response to a simple statement like that, it is not a good sign for his level of statecraft at all.

You literally didn't read the post (or are selectively misquoting it):
I literally read and comprehended all that you said, and implied.
.... the unfortunate fact of the matter is that Obama's deportations were stringent and did break up many families ....
If you’re trying to be subtle/clever, you’re failing badly.

If you say so. I know what my feelings on Biden's response are, thanks, but you go on carrying water for Biden and aiming to excuse his blatantly unacceptable behaviour by all means.
:lamo Yeah, you’re a real sensitive fella. And to be clear, I haven’t been impressed by Biden either.

It was bad optics for Biden, awful optics, horrible optics, and it is the sign of Joe Biden being under a lot of stress, and he hasn't even won the nomination yet, much less moved into the White House.
If he's cracking this badly in response to a simple statement like that, it is not a good sign for his level of statecraft at all.
Biden thought the primary would be a cake walk, and now that he's in a world where he's having to fight for it, he's cracking under the pressure.

He doesn't look like all the things the media labeled him as. The reason he's struggling in the polls is because the alleged experience and electability we've told about endlessly by the Morning Joe types, isn't reflected at all in his campaign and debate performances.

I literally read and comprehended all that you said, and implied.

I never implied that Obama was worse than Trump.

If you’re trying to be subtle/clever, you’re failing badly.

I was being direct; he did break up many families as a point of fact.

Yeah, you’re a real sensitive fella. And to be clear, I haven’t been impressed by Biden either.

It doesn't take being sensitive to realise that what Biden did was blatantly rude, disgraceful, arrogant and dismissive; I would go so far as to say that anyone with even a basic grasp on optics and human interaction would probably be able to recognize this.

Last edited:
I was being direct; he did break up many families as a point of fact.
Fact? Do you have proof that Obama broke up “many families”? What number does it take to reach “many” in your opinion?

It doesn't take being sensitive to realise that what Biden did was blatantly rude, disgraceful, arrogant and dismissive; I would go so far as to say that anyone with even a basic grasp on optics and human interaction would probably be able to recognize this.
Maybe you’re not sensitive, maybe you’re just biased.

Someone who is predisposed to view another in a negative way will often naturally exaggerate in their minds, the perceived severity of any less than perfect behavior. Kinda like how you did in your above assertion.

Fact? Do you have proof that Obama broke up “many families”? What number does it take to reach “many” in your opinion?

Unfortunately the DHS does not have statistics available regarding the exact number of separations, and did not track them during that time; what we do know however, is that separations happened despite the absence of a Trumpian zero tolerance policy:

FactCheck: Did the Obama administration separate families?

Again, no one is disputing Obama has a better record than Trump here; the most salient thing take away is that separations did indeed happen, and that Obama set records for deportation. Personally I don't find it a hot button issue for me specifically, but it clearly was for the protesters involved. As stated repeatedly, my real objection was to Biden's conduct in response to the protester's then polite queries and challenge.

Maybe you’re not ultra sensitive, maybe you’re just biased.

Someone who is predisposed to view another in a negative way will often naturally exaggerate in their minds, the perceived severity of any less than perfect behavior. Kinda like how you did in your above assertion.

First of all, while I dislike Biden's policies and think he is undergoing cognitive decline, until recently, I didn't have much in the way of personal enmity towards him (and what existed pertained largely to his creepy handling/sniffing of women).

I don't find that there is much in the way of exaggeration in how I described Biden's actions, and others in this thread and elsewhere seem to agree; you're certainly entitled however, to an erroneous opinion that the way Biden acted didn't fit any of those adjectives.

Last edited:
Incredible. Of course it wasn't even given a single mention on CNN or MSNBC (not to my knowledge after some searching), showing up literally everywhere else in the media.

Yea, they want Biden. He would be easy for them to deal with. That's how politics works, which you already know.

The sheer arrogance (or idiocy) of Biden is simply staggering; from the sound of things, you might figure he had already won the nomination, and there isn't a broad field of superior alternatives to a scarcely articulate man with probable dementia high on his own hubris.

No, there's a broad field of kooky communists and a gay guy who looks a little like Alfred E. Neuman.

Unfortunately the DHS does not have statistics available regarding the exact number of separations, and did not track them during that time; what we do know however, is that separations happened despite the absence of a Trumpian zero tolerance policy:

Again, no one is disputing Obama has a better record than Trump here; the most salient thing take away is that separations did indeed happen, and that Obama set records for deportation. Personally I don't find it a hot button issue for me specifically, but it clearly was for the protesters involved. As stated repeatedly, my real objection was to Biden's conduct in response to the protester's then polite queries and challenge.
I already provided you with the same information. Good of you to acknowledge that you were wrong though.
.... Obama's deportations were stringent and did break up many families ....

First of all, while I dislike Biden's policies and think he is undergoing cognitive decline, until recently, I didn't have much in the way of personal enmity towards him (and what existed pertained largely to his creepy handling/sniffing of women).

I don't find that there is much in the way of exaggeration in how I described Biden's actions, and others in this thread and elsewhere seem to agree; you're certainly entitled however, to an erroneous opinion that the way Biden acted didn't fit any of those adjectives.
And others disagree with your description.

And you are also entitled to your erroneous opinion.

I already provided you with the same information. Good of you to acknowledge that you were wrong though.

I wasn't 'wrong'; the problem is there isn't enough data to quantify because records were not kept. All we know is that efforts were made to avoid separations during Obama's tenure.

Surely if the separation of families was not a problem, or was otherwise exceedingly scarce and rare, it wouldn't have been raised by the protesters as an issue.

Most here agree with me on some level, and I certainly don't find that anywhere close to a majority hold your view where I've seen reactions posted regarding this specific misbehaviour.

Meanwhile one of his top aides quit over his consistent and recurring mishandling of the immigration issue.

The idea that Biden did nothing wrong in his reaction is patently ridiculous.

Last edited:
I wasn't 'wrong'; the problem is there isn't enough data to quantify because records were not kept. All we know is that efforts were made to avoid separations during Obama's tenure.

Yes, you were wrong. Further, there was no statement by HHS asserting that records weren’t kept.

.... fact of the matter is that Obama's deportations were stringent and did break up many families ....

In addition to the HHS report I cited, your own words above contradict/refute your assertion that there were “many” families separated during Obama’s administration.

In fact, HHS specifically stated “separations were rare and occurred because of circumstances such as the parent’s medical emergency or a determination that the parent was a threat to the child’s safety.”

Conversely, family separations (read uncalled for, traumatic tearing apart of children from their parents) skyrocketed under Trump’s black hearted “zero tolerance” policy. More than a year later, some of those children still have not been reunited with their parents/families.

“In addition, at least 30 children separated from their parents under the zero tolerance policy remain separated, despite a federal court order more than a year ago to reunite these children with their families or an appropriate sponsor.“
https://oversight.house.gov/sites/d...Immigrant Child Separations- Staff Report.pdf

Surely if the separation of families was not a problem, or was otherwise exceedingly scarce and rare, it wouldn't have been raised by the protesters as an issue.
Ridiculous. Of course any separations of families would be protested.

Most here agree with me on some level, and I certainly don't find that anywhere close to a majority hold your view where I've seen reactions posted regarding this specific misbehaviour.
Most here agree with you “on some level”? Now you’re a mind reader? And the only view I’ve remarked on is yours. Maybe you’re reading my mind too? Your defenses continue to become more and more tenuous with every post.

Yes, you were wrong. Further, there was no statement by HHS asserting that records weren’t kept.

Lori Robertson said:
DHS told us that 2,342 children were separated from their parents between May 5 and June 9.

But DHS couldn't provide any statistics on how many children may have been separated from their parents under the Obama administration.

Instead, when we asked, it pointed to numbers that show 21 percent of apprehended adults were referred for prosecution under President Barack Obama. From fiscal year 2010 to fiscal 2016, there were 2,362,966 adults apprehended illegally crossing the Southern border, and 492,970 were referred for prosecution, those figures show. But that doesn't tell us anything about how many children may have been separated from their parents under Obama.

And we don't have such statistics to compare the past to the present.

"We have not seen any data out of the current or prior administration on how many cases that were prosecuted were individuals who arrived with minors," Theresa Cardinal Brown, director of immigration and cross-border policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center, told us in an email. "So we cannot make any guesses or assumptions about how many separations based on prosecution there were or are."

In otherwords, we have no basis of comparison in concrete numbers. If you can find the figures, I would be interested in seeing them as I certainly looked.

In addition to the HHS report I cited, your own words above contradict/refute your assertion that there were “many” families separated during Obama’s administration.

'Many' is per the protesters and their motives and actions. Maybe they're wrong, it's possible, but we lack any actual evidentiary basis to confirm or deny this.

Further, I don't know why you keep bringing up Trump and his record; that's not the point of focus here.

Ridiculous. Of course any separations of families would be protested.

It is rather doubtful that an exceedingly small number of separations would be protested.

Most here agree with you “on some level”? Now you’re a mind reader? And the only view I’ve remarked on is yours. Maybe you’re reading my mind too? Your defenses continue to become more and more tenuous with every post.

Clearly telepathy isn't required so much as basic reading comprehension. Again, if the hill you want to die on is the absurd notion that Biden did nothing wrong, you're welcome to do so; beyond being ridiculous, with there already having been fallout over how he acted, yours is a minority view.

In otherwords, we have no basis of comparison in concrete numbers. If you can find the figures, I would be interested in seeing them as I certainly looked.
Clearly, you’re incapable of openly acknowledging that you were wrong in your claim that “many” families” were separated during Obama’s administration, so you post a link to information that affirms your error for you. Pretty weak stuff.

'Many' is per the protesters and their motives and actions. Maybe they're wrong, it's possible, but we lack any actual evidentiary basis to confirm or deny this.
Lie. “Many” was your calculation, not the protestors.

Further, I don't know why you keep bringing up Trump and his record; that's not the point of focus here.
Because it’s directly related and worthy of inclusion in the family separation conversation.

It is rather doubtful that an exceedingly small number of separations would be protested.
Ridiculous again. The uncalled for tearing apart of even one family can, and has, generated public condemnation.

Clearly telepathy isn't required so much as basic reading comprehension. Again, if the hill you want to die on is the absurd notion that Biden did nothing wrong, you're welcome to do so; beyond being ridiculous, with there already having been fallout over how he acted, yours is a minority view.
Forget telepathy and focus on reading comprehension, Surrealistik. I haven’t said, or even implied, that I believe Biden’s comment was appropriate.

"The activist, identified by a CNN reporter as Carlos Rojas".
Joe Biden tells immigration activist, 'You should vote for Trump'

Literally everywhere? I only counted like 2 major sources with around 4 or 5 minor sites a few people heard of. It isn't registered on the media radar. Know why? Because it isn't important enough to report. No idea why people always complain about major news not reporting nothingburgers. If we wanted nothingburgers, we'd go to Fox News.

Clearly, you’re incapable of openly acknowledging that you were wrong in your claim that “many” families” were separated during Obama’s administration, so you post a link to information that affirms your error for you. Pretty weak stuff.

Lie. “Many” was your calculation, not the protestors.

Ridiculous again. The uncalled for tearing apart of even one family can, and has, generated public condemnation.

'Many' is my take based on the protestors and their assertions. Moreover, it is indeed unlikely that family separation per the Obama administration would be a focus of the protestors if they were exceedingly rare, regardless of your personal take; you're certainly grasping.

Further, what the article actually says as quoted is that there's no hard numbers to compare, hence the point of bringing it up; there is no evidentiary basis to say that separations were rare or at least scarce to the point that the separations could not be classified as significant. Given the absence of explicit evidence, I'm pretty inclined to side with the protestors on the matter that separations were indeed significant.

Because it’s directly related and worthy of inclusion in the family separation conversation.

It has absolutely zero bearing on Obama's indiscretions specifically, which is the subject, even if Obama was less bad. Again, people were concerned about immigration policy during the Obama administration and Biden's involvement, as well as his policy going forward based on that; Trump's record is essentially irrelevant here.

Forget telepathy and focus on reading comprehension, Surrealistik. I haven’t said, or even implied, that I believe Biden’s comment was appropriate.

Indeed, let's focus on reading comprehension. You were objectively dismissive of it throughout the thread:

Most certainly implies that you don't disagree with my characterization of your view that Biden didn't behave in an unbecoming way; it wasn't challenged or refuted. Moreover, you asserted here that my opinion that he did act disgracefully was 'erroneous'.

And this simply one example of minimization, dismissal, denial and water carrying for Biden on your behalf.

I would go through the thread and quote them all if I had more time; perhaps I will later if you insist.

Last edited:
"The activist, identified by a CNN reporter as Carlos Rojas".
Joe Biden tells immigration activist, 'You should vote for Trump'

Literally everywhere? I only counted like 2 major sources with around 4 or 5 minor sites a few people heard of. It isn't registered on the media radar. Know why? Because it isn't important enough to report. No idea why people always complain about major news not reporting nothingburgers. If we wanted nothingburgers, we'd go to Fox News.

Plenty of significant sources ran it (I input "you should vote for trump" biden in Google personally), and no, it's not a nothing burger, especially with one of Biden's top aides quitting in the wake of this over his mishandling of the immigration file and Latino concerns, and the fact that a Dem candidate rudely blowing off a committed and loyal Democratic voter with essentially zero justification by telling him to go vote for the opposing politico is absolutely news.

Don't tell me CNN and MSNBC wouldn't be beside themselves with glee reporting on this if Bernie had done it instead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom