• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden taps Tucson police chief to lead CBP

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

4/12/21
President Joe Biden on Monday announced his intent to nominate Chris Magnus as commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection — tapping a police chief from Tucson, Ariz., to oversee the mammoth Department of Homeland Security agency tasked with managing the country's borders. Biden also said he intends to nominate Ur Jaddou — who previously served as director of DHS Watch, a project of the immigration reform group America's Voice — as director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas praised Biden's picks in a statement as "highly-regarded and accomplished professionals with deep experience in their respective fields." "Together they will help advance the Department of Homeland Security's mission to ensure the safety and security of the American people," Mayorkas said. "I look forward to working with the Senate in support of their swift confirmation." The personnel announcements come as the White House has faced criticism in recent weeks for not putting forward nominees to lead federal agencies that play crucial roles in addressing the influx of Central American migrants at the southern border. Biden still has yet to announce his nominee for director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and Roberta Jacobson — a former ambassador to Mexico who serves as Biden's southern border coordinator — is expected to depart the administration at the end of the month.

I wish the nominees all success. Our border problems can't be solved until prosperity comes to our southern Latin neighbors.

The Biden administration has also reached agreements with Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico about not allowing migrants to cross their borders. Negotiations are ongoing with El Salvador.

I wish the nominees all success. Our border problems can't be solved until prosperity comes to our southern Latin neighbors.

The Biden administration has also reached agreements with Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico about not allowing migrants to cross their borders. Negotiations are ongoing with El Salvador.
If, by that, you mean prosperity for most, and the cultivation of the middle class, I'll concur. The problem now is that there's plenty of prosperity for the few at the expense of the many.

I don't know anything about Magnus, but the choice to head CIS is from a group whose main goal is to "WIN REFORMS THAT PUT 11 MILLION UNDOCUMENTED AMERICANS ON A PATH TO FULL CITIZENSHIP."

The CIS motto always seems to be, "our approval stamp will bounce as long as your check doesn't." Now it looks like they'll be adding, "...and probably even if it does."

Back
Top Bottom