• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden steps up Black voter outreach in battleground states

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Biden steps up Black voter outreach in battleground states

BB18JGfk.img

9/5/20
Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden's campaign has in recent days increased outreach to Black voters in battleground states expected to play a pivotal role in the outcome of November's general election. The effort underscores the importance for Biden of energizing minority voters in the handful of swing states that will ultimately decide the race between him and President Trump. "If we think about the swing states where Black voter turnout dropped off in 2016 - Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina -[Biden] needs Black turnout to increase back to or near Obama levels," Adrianne Shropshire, executive director of left-leaning BlackPAC, told The Hill. "They certainly cannot be where they were in 2016." The former vice president visited Kenosha, Wis., on Thursday, where he met with the family of Jacob Blake, a Black man shot by a white police officer in the latest incident to spark racial justice protests around the country. His trip coincided with a new ad launched by his campaign targeting Black voters in four crucial swing states. And it came the same week his running mate Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) participated in several events geared toward Black voters, including a virtual meeting with a Black women's group in Michigan.

Biden, who served as vice president under former President Obama, holds a large lead over Trump with Black voters, though data suggests his advantage isn't as great as Hillary Clinton's was in 2016. Black voters have also taken on a renewed focus for both campaigns since protests against police brutality spread across the country over the summer. BlackPAC's Shropshire, whose group works to mobilize Black voters in battleground states, says police accountability and reform, along with systemic racism and discrimination, are among the most critical issues for the voting bloc. Those issues have been at the forefront of the election since George Floyd, a Black man, was killed by a white Minneapolis police officer at the end of May. Biden, who has come under attack from Trump for being beholden to the far left, has been careful to balance his support of the Black Lives Matter movement with criticism of the more violent aspects of the protests. "One of the biggest motivators for Black participation this cycle is the fact that people want Trump gone," Shropshire said. "While I don't think that Black people need to be reminded every second of every day of how terrible Donald Trump has been for the Black community, it is important, I think, to point out the contrast."

For Joe Biden to win, African-American voters need to be motivated voters. Considering the painful last four years under Donald Trump, I don't know why they wouldn't be very highly motivated.

Trump/GOP will do everything possible to suppress the black vote, from closing post offices in minority areas to running Kanye West for the purpose of siphoning-off black votes from Joe Biden.

For Joe Biden to win, African-American voters need to be motivated voters. Considering the painful last four years under Donald Trump, I don't know why they wouldn't be very highly motivated.

Perhaps black voters aren't as stupid as you think they are.

It's good that they are making the effort. Shows they maybe learned something from 2016.

They skipped a few of the lessons, but it's clear they eventually re-read the notes they did make.

Maybe by 2024, they won't look like they are actively sabotaging themselves with their candidate picks.

Perhaps black voters aren't as stupid as you think they are.

Are you implying that black voters who don't like how the country was run under Trump are stupid?

Are you implying that black voters who don't like how the country was run under Trump are stupid?

Nope.

I'm saying that black voters aren't stupid enough to believe the Trump-hating nonsense from the media.

Nope.

I'm saying that black voters aren't stupid enough to believe the Trump-hating nonsense from the media.

But what about the Trump-loving nonsense from media like Fox News and OANN? Are you hoping they're stupid enough to believe that?

Did you actually go beyond the headline? Did you actually READ the memo?

The things being presented in those "training sessions" is outrageous and is reason enough for ending them. The people creating those sessions do NOT deserve a dime of taxpayer money.

Do you think black Americans will agree with your assessment?

But what about the Trump-loving nonsense from media like Fox News and OANN? Are you hoping they're stupid enough to believe that?

I don't think black voters are stupid.

Do you think black Americans will agree with your assessment?

I think a lot of them do.

I think a lot of them don't like people who think they are stupid.

Nope.

Yes! What we need to believe is six years straight of how we're not going to believe what Trump's top people are finding on Obama's secret Kenyan birth certificate! Now that's being smart! :lamo

I think a lot of them do.

I think a lot of them don't like people who think they are stupid.

I guess we will see on Nov 3rd... Personally, I think you are delusional to think black Americans will see this as progress...

Back
Top Bottom