• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden, Seizing on Worries of a Rushed Vaccine, Warns Trump Can’t Be Trusted

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Biden, Seizing on Worries of a Rushed Vaccine, Warns Trump Can’t Be Trusted | The New York Times

Thrusting the issue of a coronavirus vaccine to the center of the campaign, Joe Biden said he trusted vaccines, but not a politicized development process.
His comments came as the president publicly rebuked the top federal scientist.

BB18p2qg.img

9/16/20
With deaths from the coronavirus nearing 200,000 in the United States, Joseph R. Biden Jr. on Wednesday assailed President Trump for playing politics with a potential coronavirus vaccine, saying he did not trust Mr. Trump to determine when a vaccine was ready for Americans. “Let me be clear: I trust vaccines,” Mr. Biden said. “I trust scientists. But I don’t trust Donald Trump, and at this moment, the American people can’t either.” Shortly after Mr. Biden’s speech in Wilmington, Del., Mr. Trump seemed to lend credence to the former vice president’s criticism by publicly rebuking the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for saying that widespread vaccination might not be possible until the middle of next year. In his speech, Mr. Biden thrust the issue of a coronavirus vaccine to center stage in the presidential race, expressing grave concern over the political pressure he said Mr. Trump was exerting over the government’s approval process and accusing him of trying to rush out a vaccine for electoral gain. “Scientific breakthroughs don’t care about calendars any more than the virus does,” he said. “They certainly don’t adhere to election cycles. And their timing and their approval and their distribution should never, ever be distorted by political considerations. It should be determined by science and safety alone.”

As Mr. Trump, eager for a political victory, continues to suggest that a vaccine could be ready before Election Day, that prospect could become a significant campaign issue in the final stretch — if it hasn’t already. The president’s comments that one could be rolled out before Nov. 3 have unsettled health officials, who worry that Mr. Trump is creating the impression that a vaccine might not be properly vetted at a time when the public is already concerned about political interference in the approval process. And Senator Kamala Harris of California, Mr. Biden’s running mate, said this month that if Mr. Trump assured the nation that a vaccine was safe, she would “not take his word for it.” Mr. Biden said Wednesday that he would personally take a vaccine if scientists said it was safe, even if it were approved under Mr. Trump’s watch. “Absolutely, do it, yes,” he said, answering a question from a reporter. Mr. Trump’s timeline has confounded many health experts, however, including Dr. Robert R. Redfield, the director of the C.D.C., who estimated during a Senate hearing on Wednesday that a vaccine could be available for limited use by the end of the year, and for wider distribution by the middle of next year.“It won’t go away like a miracle,” Mr. Biden said, adding that even if a vaccine became available, it would not be available for most Americans until “well into” 2021.

uch like the novel coronavirus itself, effective and safe vaccine's pay no attention to election cycles. Mr. Trump seems to disbelieve that wisdom.

Mr. Trump also seems to assume that he can browbeat scientists to release a COVID vaccine before a vaccine has completed all clinical trials and passed a comprehensive analysis.

Trumps motto here seems to be: "My reelection is far more important than your safety." When science says a vaccine is good to go, then get your COVID vaccination. But not before.

Is there a Nobel prize for understatement of the year?

I don't understand why anyone would trust anything that comes out of Trump's mouth.

I don't understand why anyone would trust anything that comes out of Trump's mouth.

He promoted drugs that didn’t work, then the plasma treatment, and now the rushed vaccine. He has given us no reason to trust him. All he has done is lie and tried to make himself out as a hero.

If it's from the pharmaceutical companies I'm reading about and their names are on the vials, i will probably trust that the vaccine is at least safe. If it isn't, they've just surrendered their brands, and none of the majors is going to do that. I doubt that it's out before election day, though. That timeline is too tight.

Biden, Seizing on Worries of a Rushed Vaccine, Warns Trump Can’t Be Trusted | The New York Times

Thrusting the issue of a coronavirus vaccine to the center of the campaign, Joe Biden said he trusted vaccines, but not a politicized development process.

BB18p2qg.img

uch like the novel coronavirus itself, effective and safe vaccine's pay no attention to election cycles. Mr. Trump seems to disbelieve that wisdom.

Mr. Trump also seems to assume that he can browbeat scientists to release a COVID vaccine before a vaccine has completed all clinical trials and passed a comprehensive analysis.

Trumps motto here seems to be: "My reelection is far more important than your safety." When science says a vaccine is good to go, then get your COVID vaccination. But not before.

The democrats seem to have a vested interest in keeping things locked down until after the election. I’m not hearing much about anything different from them.

Back to the vaccine, it is a rush job because the electorate expects a miracle and they want it “now”! But at the end of the day it is a personal decision whether or not you take it, and it depends of the type of vaccine. And regardless, it won’t be universal for Covid probably until after Covid is gone, much like SARS. But we need to keep pushing, now that China has seen what a “less than lethal” bio weapon can do to a democracy in an election year. ****. Who needs guns.

My advice is for people to quit trying to score cheap points on the vaccine.

BB18p2qg.img

1. The only indication that any vaccine might be rushed comes from the Trump hating media and their talking potato heads. They consistently say something "might" happen or not. Not one of them actually knows anything and they are promoting fear.

2. This is an unconscionable tactic. It has no other purpose but to influence people AGAINST the Trump administration and it will result in millions of people refusing a vaccine that might save their life.

3. Any people who die from COVID after a vaccine is released will have been killed by the Trump haters.

btw, Trump has NEVER browbeated anyone to release a vaccine before it has been deemed safe and effective. Quit lying.

What does Biden mean? If a vaccine comes out say, in 2 weeks, will he take it?

The democrats seem to have a vested interest in keeping things locked down until after the election. I’m not hearing much about anything different from them.

Don't the Republicans have more of a vested interest in rushing out a poorly tested vaccine before the election? Seems like they should be the ones not to be trusted here given the state of the polls.

Back
Top Bottom