• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden says no fly zone is WW 3

So you actually think the Russian Air Force that can barely retain air superiority in Ukraine as is would kick our ass?

I think Russian air defenses are strong enough that a bunch of very expensive fighter aircraft stand a better than average chance of getting blown to smitheerens, and I KNOW that the drill sergeants at Fort Sill— folks from the 82nd Airborne and 10th Mountain Division- take the Russian military very seriously indeed.

I actually agree (surprise) with Biden that a no-fly zone is equivalent to WW3, but at the same time I think America can still do a lot more without implementing it, such as giving the Ukrainians the MIGs they wanted and more AA defenses.
Looking at this from a simplistic lens if my friend is fighting with someone and I hand him a baseball bat to use against him, as the antagonist I would consider you to be interfering with the fight. Or in a way becoming part of the fight. Either you go all in or stay out completely, imo. This doesn't keep you from giving your friend a bat to carry around with him just in case he's ever attacked.

Looking at this from a simplistic lens if my friend is fighting with someone and I hand him a baseball bat to use against him, as the antagonist I would consider you to be interfering with the fight. Or in a way becoming part of the fight. Either you go all in or stay out completely, imo. This doesn't keep you from giving your friend a bat to carry around with him just in case he's ever attacked.
Look, we're already giving the Ukrainians all sorts of weapons, so why would giving them some fighter planes be so different all of a sudden?

I disagree, Putin's making a righteous ass out of himself right now and my position is, let's not get in his way while he's self-destructing.

Meanwhile a lot of people are dying because of his tantrum.

I'm no Chamberlain here. But let's take a look at the map:
View attachment 67380333
It is an accurate statement to say that Putin is surround on his Western border by NATO nations, although, Finland and Sweden have started saying that they'd want to be come members, which would make NATO even stronger. I suspect that Mold. is going to come over as well.

Also looking at the map, we know that Belarus is already in Putin's pocket, but where else is Putin going to expand to? You think Putin can create enough propaganda that a nation would vote to become part of Putin's empire?
What I think is Putin will ultimately attack a NATO country if he takes Ukraine and he will do so by using the same nuclear escalation intimidation threat that is working for him now.

Look, we're already giving the Ukrainians all sorts of weapons, so why would giving them some fighter planes be so different all of a sudden?
I don’t see it as being any different, which was my point. From another simplistic lens look what the United States is doing right now is akin to sitting on a dock switching its feet in the water and hoping they don’t get dragged into the lake. Putin could be irritated with us splashing water in his face and decide to drag us in. If that happens it should come as no surprise.
Meanwhile a lot of people are dying because of his tantrum.

what would you call it...
-peace

A war.

And civilians die in war. It’s tragic, but calling it “genocide” isn’t just inaccurate, it totally eliminates the actual meaning of the term.

He's right.
A US or NATO enforced no fly zone would guarantee direct military conflict between US, NATO, and Russian forces.
Not a good place to go right now, although at some point if the Russian aggression continues, it might be a viable option.

A war.

And civilians die in war. It’s tragic, but calling it “genocide” isn’t just inaccurate, it totally eliminates the actual meaning of the term.

A completely unprovoked and unjustified war at best- more like armed robbery.

“That’s called WW3” according to Biden. China and Russia engaged US aircraft with Migs in Korea and shot a lot of US planes down and that didn’t trigger WW3. In Vietnam China pilots did the same. Does Biden actually not know this or is he just so timid he doesn’t care? Either way Putin is playing our pathetic excuse for a president like a fiddle. Limited engagement with Russia in Ukraine could lead to WW3 if things escalated but the act itself is not WW3.
Why do you think circumstances of Korea and Vietnam apply to this conflict? Everything about them is different.

A no fly zone likely means taking out Russian anti air capability first. The means attacking Russian position in Ukraine and probably in Russia. You seriously think that happens with starting a much wider conflict?

Why do you think circumstances of Korea and Vietnam apply to this conflict? Everything about them is different.

A no fly zone likely means taking out Russian anti air capability first. The means attacking Russian position in Ukraine and probably in Russia. You seriously think that happens with starting a much wider conflict?
I think a “fly at your own risk” zone would be a more appropriate term for what we should do in Ukraine. NATO should implement a policy of taking out any easy targets of opportunity that put NATO pilots at minimum risk and make Russian pilots nervous as hell.

Back
Top Bottom