• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden says if elected he will form bipartisan commission to recommend changes to Supreme Cour

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

This is ok with me. I was not a big fan of the idea of expanding the court (term limits would be better so justices can keep up with our changing culture).

I think the focus should be on admitting new states anyway to resolve the structural problems that got the court like this in the first place. Fix the root issue... the senate.

This is ok with me. I was not a big fan of the idea of expanding the court (term limits would be better so justices can keep up with our changing culture).

I think the focus should be on admitting new states anyway to resolve the structural problems that got the court like this in the first place. Fix the root issue... the senate.

This is ok with me.

Of course it is!

You're a leftist who doesn't like the SC swinging in a more conservative direction

I understand

Hell yeah

Republicans can screw up anything

Just because one is "Republican" doesn't mean they're conservative

Hell yeah

Republicans can screw up anything
You got that right. The last 50 years the Democrats have been having to clean up the RepubliCANTS messes.

You got that right. The last 50 years the Democrats have been having to clean up the RepubliCANTS messes.

Who's more to blame for the Great recession?

Commissions are where ideas go to die.

Two thoughts...

1. There really isn't much a commission could recommend that anyone could get done. Increase the number of judges, of course...but most everything else would need an amendment. I don't see that happening. Of course, while I don't have any confidence that Biden actually understands the issue beyond hating Trump's choices, the people who tell him what to think and say certainly understand what I've said. Seems to me this "commission" idea is just lipstick on the pig. Trying to make it look pretty while they go ahead and do what they want.

2. A "bipartisan commission". Excuse me when I say that "bipartisan" doesn't matter. There are people on the left who don't want the Supremes messed with and there are people on the right who do, simply because they hate Trump. Until we see exactly who the commission members end up being, I see this "bipartisan" thing as just more lipstick.

But hey...as long as the lipstick gets people to buy the pig, that's all that matters, right?

Just because one is "Republican" doesn't mean they're conservative

That used to be true. At least to a much greater extent than it is now. Liberals had better stay low in the GOP, and moderates, even people who take a moderate position on one issue, can expect to be attacked and vilified by. the Trumpster crowd.

I think it’s a great idea. Put it all on the table and debate it.

Quite a contrast to what the GOP is doing.

Commissions are where ideas go to die.

Yes, Like Trumps executive order on forming a commission to have the constitution taught in school?

Trumpers fell for it "Hook line and sinker"

Well you should look up the facts. Bush left Obama with a total mess in 2008. I can tell you who got us out of the recession but you might be a Trumpturd MAGArat and not understand, so why bother.

Establishing a commission is a time-honored way of avoiding a decision or even the need to express a desire. One of my political reference books speaks to this:

"Establishing a commission is a time-honored tactic to allay finger-pointing when you are the pointee. Make a note to disband the commission at some future date prior to the publishing of findings." A Beginner's Guide to Government. Aloysius Goldpen. Chelm Press, 2011, Gotham, GA.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

The SC should not swing left or right, in fact, it should not be political at all.

I agree

But that's not the system we have(That the people enable)

The party system is to blame here

I agree, repeal the 17th amendment.

D.C. was never meant to be, nor should EVER become a state. We ALL know it's a pure power grab to add more Democrats to the Senate.
Joe's "blue-ribbon commission" is typical politician b.s. for kicking the can down the road and wasting our tax dollars. Baloney.
Or should. say, MALARKY!

Well you should look up the facts. Bush left Obama with a total mess in 2008. I can tell you who got us out of the recession but you might be a Trumpturd MAGArat and not understand, so why bother.

So Baby Bush was responsible for the Housing crises?

This appears to be the same lame nonsense as Biden’s COVID-19 “policy” - have some unelected (and as yet unnamed) “experts” help him decide what “his position is” later (after the election). It accomplishes absolutely nothing, but serves to let the MSM make it appear that he has indeed kept his promise to let the public know what he personally wants (before the election).

WINNER!!!!!!
I disagree. Commissions are where bad ideas go to get laundered and then the media apparatus will pick up the preplanned results and say “the commission for fairness and not being mean, a bispartisan group of respected people, have released a report on how we can have judicial fairness and better represent trans black and Latinx persons of color while ensuring systemic racism is... “ blah blah blah It will have all the buzzwords and then there will be a campaign to adopt whatever the findings are. Opposed only by bigots of course

Back
Top Bottom