• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden says he's considering student debt forgiveness, but less than $50,000

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

"I am considering dealing with some debt reduction. I am not considering $50,000 debt reduction" for students, he told reporters at the White House. "But I'm in the process of taking a hard look at whether or not there are there will be additional debt forgiveness."

"I'll have an answer on that in the next couple of weeks," Biden said.

I think his decision is going to irritate people on both sides of this debate. Some will feel that his loan forgiveness doesn't go far enough; others will feel that it goes too far.

Biden is such a panderer

So you're with the "others [who] will feel that it goes too far"?
Of course, it is all so ridiculous. Many people went without an education as they could not afford it, others took the loan, got the education, and now they get a free ride?? How sick it that?

Of course,

I figured.

it is all so ridiculous. Many people went without an education as they could not afford it, others took the loan, got the education, and now they get a free ride?? How sick it that?

How do you know that Biden is going to give college students a "free ride"?

I answered. Free ride is loan forgiveness. Not fair!

It's obvious you didn't read the article in the OP. You're missing something very important.

See if you can figure out what it is without my telling you.

Shouldn't all of us who paid for our kids college tuition, get our money back then? I imagine you will say "Of course not"

It's obvious you didn't read the article in the OP. You're missing something very important.

See if you can figure out what it is without my telling you.
You are correct, I did not read the article. Ok, I am up for the challenge,,,,, to be continued

I thought the stimulus checks were ridiculous but this? 1 penny is too much forgiveness.

Ok, I am back, short article, thank goodness, you know I am a Trump Supporter and reading is not a personal favorite, lol...
So, from the article, my guess will be that you are focusing on the students income level, and or Covid related, am I correct?

I think his decision is going to irritate people on both sides of this debate. Some will feel that his loan forgiveness doesn't go far enough; others will feel that it goes too far.
Anyone who received a taxpayer supported/backed up government loan to go to college who now feels they can't pay for it, should be forced to pay it off by serving in the military with reduced pay until the debt is paid off.

Nothing is FREE. If you don't pay for what you got, somebody else has to cover your debt.

Why "forgive" stupidity in the first place?

So you're with the "others [who] will feel that it goes too far"?

Absolutely. This is clearly (proposed) additional federal spending, which means that a bill to allow it must originate in the House and pass the Senate. Joe “Where am I?” Biden, as POTUS (king?), has no specific regulatory power to do this on his own. Congress has allowed (they have 60 days to formally object to) regulatory agency changes in (some?) student loan repayment ‘rules’, but such changes are not unlimited and must be means-tested.

Midterms are coming, Democrats need to pull out all the stops to keep power by entirely buying votes devoid of doing anything about the issues causing student debt.

Anyone who received a taxpayer supported/backed up government loan to go to college who now feels they can't pay for it, should be forced to pay it off by serving in the military with reduced pay until the debt is paid off.

Nothing is FREE. If you don't pay for what you got, somebody else has to cover your debt.

Why "forgive" stupidity in the first place?

^ The highlighted phrase is an excellent example of begging the question. CJ has no evidence that spending money on college is "stupidity"; he just throws it out there.

Absolutely. This is clearly (proposed) additional federal spending, which means that a bill to allow it must originate in the House and pass the Senate. Joe “Where am I?” Biden, as POTUS (king?), has no specific regulatory power to do this on his own. Congress has allowed (they have 60 days to formally object to) regulatory agency changes in (some?) student loan repayment ‘rules’, but such changes are not unlimited and must be means-tested.

According to that article, Biden can indirectly do some loan forgiveness.

And yes, we know that Republicans in Congress, who hate higher education*, want to saddle college grads with as much debt as possible.

* - Except for themselves, their families, close friends...

According to that article, Biden can indirectly do some loan forgiveness.

And yes, we know that Republicans in Congress, who hate higher education*, want to saddle college grads with as much debt as possible.

* - Except for themselves, their families, close friends...

It’s not like the ‘forgiven’ debt disappears - it simply gets put onto the national debt tab.

It’s not like the ‘forgiven’ debt disappears - it simply gets put onto the national debt tab.

Yes, we know. Bet you're opposed to tax cuts for the wealthy, too. ;)

I want to make sure that nurses, doctors, engineers, architects etc. are saddled with as much debt as possible. Preferably until they are broken and ruined. Don't you?

This has been debated for a long time. Other politicians have presented the concept. I'm curious how far it will go here.

Back
Top Bottom