• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden says he's considering student debt forgiveness, but less than $50,000

With that definition (no longer needing funding for a program), there is nothing you can achieve through government.

Any program that achieves its results would be cut and the problems they are solving would just come back.

OK, but if giving poor folks “safety net” aid makes them no longer poor, then it should be ceased immediately because once given the aid then they are no longer poor. ;)

The problem with forgiving student debt is that it treats a symptom and not the disease. The underlying problem is universities charging too much for degrees earning too little, which is a byproduct of national policy for the federal government to lend anyone nearly unlimited funds for any educational program no matter how crappy.

The problem with forgiving student debt is that it treats a symptom and not the disease. The underlying problem is universities charging too much for degrees earning too little, which is a byproduct of national policy for the federal government to lend anyone nearly unlimited funds for any educational program no matter how crappy.

One would assume that doing this would include ending the student loan program, since each student “loan” would then include a $10K gift (amount that need not be repaid) from the US treasury.

I am in favor of Biden forgiving all of the six-figure student debt that I owe. I will not complain. I will probably celebrate.
But on a policy level, I recognize that economic policies that benefit people like me are probably not in the best interest of society. Student debt forgiveness is regressive and inflationary.
I'm far from an impartial observer though. A couple days ago Rep. Cardenas floated the possibility of Biden forgiving ALL student debt, and I'd be lying if I claimed I wasn't thrilled.
1651212472084.png

Back
Top Bottom