• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden rails against access to assault weapons after recent spate of shootings

In previous debates I had on this topic, liberals would say that the people couldn't defend against tanks and missiles and the firepower of today's military. That may be true for a little while but whatever government tried to destroy an uprising with that sort of firepower would not last long and they know it. Soon, there would be people getting together and finding out where the leaders are in government and the military and killing them and their families with their firearms, No one in the military or government would be safe if they decimated cities and humans. This is what a government is secretly afraid of. They know they can't kill everyone because there are more civilians than there are military people. It would result in a civil war that would destroy America.

You and I both know that a government that knows the people are unarmed can do pretty much what it wants to. See Australia, Canada, Venezuela, China, NK, and others. The government needs to fear the citizens instead of the citizens fearing its government.
The right-wing belief that the people have a right to overthrow the U.S. government if they deem it tyrannical. First, that doesn't make sense. Which people? If I decide that the government is tyrannical I get to overthrow the government? Second, it's nowhere in the Constitution. In fact, the opposite is in the constitution.

Article 3, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, states,
“Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.”

The only way the constitution allows changes in the government is by Congressional action and elections.

Good man, this Biden.

Access to assault weapons needs to be railed against. These weapons should be banned from sale and ownership.
you would need to amend the constitution in order to do so.

you would need to amend the constitution in order to do so.

Many don’t share that view and are willing to pack the SCOTUS to prevent them from saying so.

That you love Rachel Maddow sAys all anyone need know.

Whatever.

I’ve been a fan of hers since she was on Air America.

That said, her show is getting very long in ideology and lenghtly set ups. Personally, I find most of them annoying because I’m usually way ahead of her because I remember the historical analogies she sets up in the first place.

I’m also annoyed at the decline in actual news content that these setups cause.

I’m not much impressed by her books either. Although I enjoyed the one about Spiro Agnew. It brought back political memories. It was also an excellent telling.

The right-wing belief that the people have a right to overthrow the U.S. government if they deem it tyrannical. First, that doesn't make sense. Which people? If I decide that the government is tyrannical I get to overthrow the government? Second, it's nowhere in the Constitution. In fact, the opposite is in the constitution.

Article 3, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, states,

The only way the constitution allows changes in the government is by Congressional action and elections.
If conservatives (right-wingers) thought they could willy-nilly overthrow a tyrannical government is a red herring If it were true, the 'right" would have overthrown this despotc=ic tyrannical Biden regime by now.

In previous debates I had on this topic, liberals would say that the people couldn't defend against tanks and missiles and the firepower of today's military. That may be true for a little while but whatever government tried to destroy an uprising with that sort of firepower would not last long and they know it. Soon, there would be people getting together and finding out where the leaders are in government and the military and killing them and their families with their firearms, No one in the military or government would be safe if they decimated cities and humans. This is what a government is secretly afraid of. They know they can't kill everyone because there are more civilians than there are military people. It would result in a civil war that would destroy America.

You and I both know that a government that knows the people are unarmed can do pretty much what it wants to. See Australia, Canada, Venezuela, China, NK, and others. The government needs to fear the citizens instead of the citizens fearing its government.

Trying to equate the governments of Australia or Canada to those of China or NK is ridiculous.

Trying to equate the governments of Australia or Canada to those of China or NK is ridiculous.
Lockdowns, masks, invoking emergency powers (Canada).

THOSE are totalitarian methods, whether you agree or not.

Whatever.

I’ve been a fan of hers since she was on Air America.

That said, her show is getting very long in ideology and lenghtly set ups. Personally, I find most of them annoying because I’m usually way ahead of her because I remember the historical analogies she sets up in the first place.

I’m also annoyed at the decline in actual news content that these setups cause.

I’m not much impressed by her books either. Although I enjoyed the one about Spiro Agnew. It brought back political memories. It was also an excellent telling.
That's good to hear. But if you are looking for news, you won't find it anymore in mainstream media including the usual print media such as The NY Times, WaPo, Businessinsider, and even Fox. You have to scour the internet now and check those stories out, many of which are far more factual than today's mainstream news outlets which are not news, but political and ideological commentary by boisterous individuals, some of whom hate white people like Don Lemon, Joy Reid, and Al Sharpton.

Those were also done in the very well armed US.
Not to the extent of Canada and Australia because they know the people here are armed. They will not do it again. they also better think twice about any mask attempts in the future.

Not to the extent of Canada and Australia because they know the people here are armed. They will not do it again. they also better think twice about any mask attempts in the future.

Keep on kidding yourself.

Good man, this Biden.

Access to assault weapons needs to be railed against. These weapons should be banned from sale and ownership.
Good luck trying to violate citizens rights with this Supreme Court :)

Way too late Biden.

The next House is going to be Republican and I doubt the lame duck session will get a bill passed. If this was really important for Democrats they would have tried a long way back.

Is that a threat?

He is a progressive living in a country with strict “gun control“ laws. His views on the 2A are likely that it should be repealed.

Oh I know hes not fortunate enough to live in the USA. Or in his mind he’s most likely glad he doesn’t cause he doesn’t have to worr6 about rights and constitutions and taking rights away

Good man, this Biden.

Even hunting shotguns? .22 pistols?

Lockdowns, masks, invoking emergency powers (Canada).

THOSE are totalitarian methods, whether you agree or not.
Yeah, asking people to wear masks to save lives is exactly like forced labor camps. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Your freedom to swing your arms ends with my nose. The government always had the right to use emergency powers.

Sounds perfect for home defense, sport shooting, etc... Not sure what game you think is being played though. But, whatever. Of course, there is plenty of reason for citizens to have these, and other weapons.
I'd be quite suspicious of a government that wanted to disarm the citizens. Now, that's something to worry about.
Home defense? So the random shot that tears through the wall of your kids bedroom is appropriate.

Removing a weapon is not disarming the populace, how's your machine gun working?

Good man, this Biden.

Why? What specifically makes an "assault weapon" different than any other weapon that Biden supposedly doesn't want to ban?

Home defense? So the random shot that tears through the wall of your kids bedroom is appropriate.

Removing a weapon is not disarming the populace, how's your machine gun working?

If that's the only gun you have, it will need replaced.

I thought you wanted there to be less guns?

High muzzle velocity, semi automatic, high magazine capacity, based on military design.

I'm not playing the game you are starting. There is no reason for this style of weapon to be made available to citizens.

There's no reason for it not to. None of the features you listed are specific to "assault weapons." Banning them won't save a single life (but it may cost lives).

Back
Top Bottom