• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden rails against access to assault weapons after recent spate of shootings

Yes let’s not go with what Biden actually said let’s just go with what you tell us he actually meant.

Tell me did you believe maga idiots when they tried this same dishonest bit.
Quite frightening that every time our President speaks without a script, he requires hordes of apologists telling us "this is what he meant to say"

So is BDS, as this thread proves.
I am not railing over Biden in this thread at all. By this point, everyone with half a brain knows he is being led like a puppet with dementia. There is only one good thing about his presidency. If America wasn't taken over by some other country with a demented fool like him as president, we probably never will be.

Quite frightening that every time our President speaks without a script, he requires hordes of apologists telling us "this is what he meant to say"

Quite amusing that Trump cultists actually think they have room to talk about Biden given how brainless you lot’s Dear Leader is.

Yep. This new left works order must be like in the Middle Ages where Christian apologists descended on the non believers with a vengeance and reporting them to the religious authorities for torture and death.

You went “but they only disarmed recently!”

Which is totally irrelevant to the fact that they did so successfully. No “tyranny” was installed.

Ok, that makes sense. Because the concern you're responding to is that "tyranny will be installed" the very SECOND we disarm.

Ok, that makes sense. Because the concern you're responding to is that "tyranny will be installed" the very SECOND we disarm.

Decades have gone by in many of these cases. Where’s the tyranny?

Decades have gone by in many of these cases. Where’s the tyranny?

The Constitution wasn't written for decades, it was written for centuries.

1669448357032.png

Are you aware that automatics and semiautomatics aren't the same thing, and that a 6 shot .380 semiautomatic pistol is significantly weaker for self defense than a 6 six .357 magnum revolver?

Nope. Appropriate force. Potentially lethal force can be met with lethal force. If an attacker brings a knife to a gunfights that's a lick on him. Would you expect 65 year old women to be limited to defend themselves against 25 year old men with just her fists?

1) According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a total of 45,222 people died from gun-related injuries of all causes during 2020, the last year for which complete data is available.
- 46% homicides (19,384) - a 34% increase over 2019
- 54% suicides (24,292)

2) International comparison of gun-related killings as a % of all homicides
- USA (79%) - in 2021 June 2021, for example, Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed into law a "permitless carry bill" that allows the state's residents to carry handguns without a licence or training
- Canada (37%) - shares 5250 miles of common border with US- USA (79%)
- Australia (13%)
- United Kingdom (4%)

3) researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least

4) a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were 1.7X more likely to be murdered than people who did not

5) a gun in the home was associated with a nearly 7X increase in the odds that someone would be killed at home by a family member or intimate acquaintance (CDC funded study published in "New England Journal of Medicine")

6) March 15, 1982, Kennesaw Geogria passed a law requiring the head of every household to own a firearm and ammunition to “provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants,”
- the presence of more guns for the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants" resulted "gun theft" emerging as a crime problem in Kennesaw where residents are now encouraged to lock then up (opposed by the NRA)

7) having a gun in the home increases the odds of suicide almost 5X

8) ratio of "unintended consequences" associated with just 1X a gun is used for self-defence
- 4X times increased likelihood of an accidental shooting
- 7X times more incidents of assaults or homicides of the owner or another family member
- 5X more likely to be used in a suicide

9) the conventional wisdom that having a gun in the household acts as a deterrent is more than offset the direct and indirect the risks it possesses to the owner and family

10) given that there are currently more than 400 million guns in the hands of private citizens private in America, approximately 1.2 for every man, woman and child - if they actually provided "safety, security and general welfare," why doesn't the US have the lowest crime rate on the planet!

Top 10 Countries with Highest Gun Ownership (Civilian guns owned per 100 people):​

1. United States - 120.5
  2. Falkland Islands - 62.1 (former war zone)
  3. Yemen - 52.8 (current war zone)
  4. New Caledonia - 42.5
  5. Serbia (tied) - 42.5 (former war zone)
  6. Montenegro (tied) - 39.1 (former war zone)
  7. Uruguay (tied) - 34.7
  8. Canada (tied) - 34.7
  9. Cyprus - 34 (former war zone)
  10. Finland - 32.4 (borders Russia - former war zone)

Last edited:
Is "assault arms" a new designation? The AWBs in Congress include some semiautomatic rifles but not others, some semiautomatic shotguns but not others and some semiautomatic handguns but not others. All it takes for any class of firearm to be an "assault weapon" is to be on the paper when the bill is signed

In SB 260, Ohio state Democratic lawmakers introduced a bill that would designate any semiautomatic as an "assault weapon" if a "large capacity magazine" was avaliable for it, which would make virtually every semiautomatic rifle or pistol into an "assault weapon", including guns like the Glock 42, a subcompact handgun with a factory capacity of 6.

All of the firearms that are designated as "assault weapons" in S.736 and H.B.1808 are bearable arms in common use for lawful purposes and thus protected by the Second Amendment.
You were speaking of of 1994 Assault Weapon Ban, were you not? Well that was the language that was used within the bill. So no, that's not a 'new' designation or term. Large capacity magazines should be banned. There is no justifiable need for them to be in the hands of civilians. And speaking of new designations and terms. Did you just make up one? "Bearable arms"? Just because a weapon can be carried doesn't mean it's protected by 2nd Amendment. Rocket and grenade launchers are completely portable, or 'bearable' if you will. You want to make those legal too?

the right to bear arms is not predicated on the militia, it is merely explaining their main purpose, at the time, of making sure such arms are not subject to the will of government.

it clearly states the right of "the people" as a whole , not the people in the militia, have the right to bear arms and that shall not be infringed.
You don't have to take my word for it. Constitutional historians fully back what I had posted.

"Modern debates about the Second Amendment have focused on whether it protects a private right of individuals to keep and bear arms, or a right that can be exercised only through militia organizations like the National Guard. This question, however, was not even raised until long after the Bill of Rights was adopted.

Many in the Founding generation believed that governments are prone to use soldiers to oppress the people. English history suggested that this risk could be controlled by permitting the government to raise armies (consisting of full-time paid troops) only when needed to fight foreign adversaries. For other purposes, such as responding to sudden invasions or other emergencies, the government could rely on a militia that consisted of ordinary civilians who supplied their own weapons and received some part-time, unpaid military training.

The onset of war does not always allow time to raise and train an army, and the Revolutionary War showed that militia forces could not be relied on for national defense. The Constitutional Convention therefore decided that the federal government should have almost unfettered authority to establish peacetime standing armies and to regulate the militia.

This massive shift of power from the states to the federal government generated one of the chief objections to the proposed Constitution. Anti-Federalists argued that the proposed Constitution would take from the states their principal means of defense against federal usurpation. The Federalists responded that fears of federal oppression were overblown, in part because the American people were armed and would be almost impossible to subdue through military force.

Implicit in the debate between Federalists and Anti-Federalists were two shared assumptions. First, that the proposed new Constitution gave the federal government almost total legal authority over the army and militia. Second, that the federal government should not have any authority at all to disarm the citizenry. They disagreed only about whether an armed populace could adequately deter federal oppression.

The Second Amendment conceded nothing to the Anti-Federalists’ desire to sharply curtail the military power of the federal government, which would have required substantial changes in the original Constitution. Yet the Amendment was easily accepted because of widespread agreement that the federal government should not have the power to infringe the right of the people to keep and bear arms, any more than it should have the power to abridge the freedom of speech or prohibit the free exercise of religion.

Much has changed since 1791. The traditional militia fell into desuetude, and state-based militia organizations were eventually incorporated into the federal military structure. The nation’s military establishment has become enormously more powerful than eighteenth century armies. We still hear political rhetoric about federal tyranny, but most Americans do not fear the nation’s armed forces and virtually no one thinks that an armed populace could defeat those forces in battle. Furthermore, eighteenth century civilians routinely kept at home the very same weapons they would need if called to serve in the militia, while modern soldiers are equipped with weapons that differ significantly from those generally thought appropriate for civilian uses. Civilians no longer expect to use their household weapons for militia duty, although they still keep and bear arms to defend against common criminals (as well as for hunting and other forms of recreation)."

I can name at least one solitary rational reason for owning semi-automatic weapons...

Because dumbasses like this promote stupid shit that doesnt work.

This post has implications that are horrible.

Only a gun hoarder like you would notice that mistake. He meant AR-15 style weapons and everyone knows it. He's not coming after all semi-auto weapons nor is anyone else, sorry to say.

And besides that, no one is proposing taking any weapons away from LE. They are the only ones who should have one.
To your last comment, not everyone has access to prompt help from LE. So, although rare, occasionally a situation may arise when self defense with a weapon is the only option. We mustn't be too drastic.

The definition of "assault weapon" includes many more weapon types than just AR-15s.
One could argue that those who are not gun enthusiasts who speak the lingo still may be allowed an opinion.

Yeah. Taking the guns from the crazies has nothing to do with Biden railing about access to guns...but let's ignore talk about brass knuckles and knives. Good grief.
So how do we identify "the crazies"? I think the Walmart shooter should have had a huge red flag on his shoulders. Why could he, legally, buy a gun?

Yeah, I couldn't believe the idea came from Trump either.
Well trump is an idiot so there is that. But I noticed there are plenty of others on here supporting doing just that.

To your last comment, not everyone has access to prompt help from LE. So, although rare, occasionally a situation may arise when self defense with a weapon is the only option. We mustn't be too drastic.
That's probably true. But in my 66 years of existence, I have never had the need to defend myself with a firearm. I keep a few equalizers placed around my home in case of an intruder. It's never happened.

I was robbed once in a parking lot in DC in the middle of the day at gunpoint. I gave up my wallet, my wristwatch and that was the end of it. In those days, possession of a firearm in DC was illegal.

The lesson I learned from that is to watch where I stopped for lunch in a city like that. Never crossed my mind to go out and buy a gun. To each his own, I guess.

What style is that? How about function?
High muzzle velocity, semi automatic, high magazine capacity, based on military design.

I'm not playing the game you are starting. There is no reason for this style of weapon to be made available to citizens.

This announcement is a mistake, IMO. There is absolutely no chance any assault weapons ban will pass anytime soon because there aren't enough votes. His announcement in that sort of an environment only helps to get more radicalized Republicans elected. When the stakes are this high, the Democrats are going to have to seriously improve their strategy. At the end of the day, Republicans are probably overjoyed that he made this announcement.
Lefties are going to have to get armed.

You were speaking of of 1994 Assault Weapon Ban, were you not? Well that was the language that was used within the bill. So no, that's not a 'new' designation or term.
The term "assault arms" doesn't appear a single time in H.E.4296 of the 193rd Congress.
Large capacity magazines should be banned. There is no justifiable need for them to be in the hands of civilians.

What is "large capacity"? We've seen bills with limits of 20, 15, 10, 7 and 5 submitted by Democratic lawmakers.

And speaking of new designations and terms. Did you just make up one? "Bearable arms"? Just because a weapon can be carried doesn't mean it's protected by 2nd Amendment. Rocket and grenade launchers are completely portable, or 'bearable' if you will. You want to make those legal too?
It's from SCOTUS.

"The Court has held that “the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding,” District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U. S. 570, 582 (2008), and that this “Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States,” McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U. S. 742, 750 (2010)"

Caetano v Massachusetts 2016.

Are rocket and grenade launchers in common use for lawful purposes? AR-15s and 30 round magazines are.

High muzzle velocity, semi automatic, high magazine capacity, based on military design.

I'm not playing the game you are starting. There is no reason for this style of weapon to be made available to citizens.
What is high velocity to you? It's 3500 fps and faster for the Army.

CNN
President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would work with Congress to “try to get rid of assault weapons” after a recent spate of shootings in the US.

“The idea (that) we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick, it’s just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,” Biden told reporters during a brief gaggle outside the Nantucket Fire Department in Massachusetts, where he greeted first responders.

Asked whether he would try to take action on guns, the president said, “I’m going to try. I’m going to try to get rid of assault weapons.” When pressed on whether he would try to do so during the lame duck session, he said, “I’m going to do it whenever – I’ve got to make that assessment as soon as I get in and start counting the votes.”

Now Biden wants to go after semiautomatic weapons. Biden makes this huge comment, which is all that matters in what he said. What does CNN do? Even though the quote is in the article, they completely ignore it. They act as if it's not even there. No mention at all about the significance of such a statement by the POTUS.

In fact, despite the headline, the majority of the article is about the possible railroad strike!
I assume this is another Biden misstatement, there is no way in hell that even the Democrats would try to ban purchases of all semiautomatic weapons.

Back
Top Bottom