• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden rails against access to assault weapons after recent spate of shootings

CNN
President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would work with Congress to “try to get rid of assault weapons” after a recent spate of shootings in the US.

“The idea (that) we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick, it’s just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,” Biden told reporters during a brief gaggle outside the Nantucket Fire Department in Massachusetts, where he greeted first responders.

Asked whether he would try to take action on guns, the president said, “I’m going to try. I’m going to try to get rid of assault weapons.” When pressed on whether he would try to do so during the lame duck session, he said, “I’m going to do it whenever – I’ve got to make that assessment as soon as I get in and start counting the votes.”

Now Biden wants to go after semiautomatic weapons. Biden makes this huge comment, which is all that matters in what he said. What does CNN do? Even though the quote is in the article, they completely ignore it. They act as if it's not even there. No mention at all about the significance of such a statement by the POTUS.

In fact, despite the headline, the majority of the article is about the possible railroad strike!

Excellent news Anthony!! I'd like to see some COMPREHENSIVE restrictions and bans, not just assault weapons, but all semi autos with a mag capacity of over a few rounds.

I would gladly nay EAGERLY support Our President on this issue!!biden curl.gif

Only a gun hoarder like you would notice that mistake. He meant AR-15 style weapons and everyone knows it. He's not coming after all semi-auto weapons nor is anyone else, sorry to say.

And besides that, no one is proposing taking any weapons away from LE. They are the only ones who should have one.
What's a gun hoarder?

Did the the..., uhh... whoever is really running things, give it the ole' "walk back Biden's comments" yet? You know, when our POTUS, head of the Executive branch, gets overruled by, well, someone.
If not, then that's what stands.

Excellent news Anthony!! I'd like to see some COMPREHENSIVE restrictions and bans, not just assault weapons, but all semi autos with a mag capacity of over a few rounds.

I would gladly nay EAGERLY support Our President on this issue!!View attachment 67424591
You and every dictator wannabe.

This announcement is a mistake, IMO. There is absolutely no chance any assault weapons ban will pass anytime soon because there aren't enough votes. His announcement in that sort of an environment only helps to get more radicalized Republicans elected. When the stakes are this high, the Democrats are going to have to seriously improve their strategy. At the end of the day, Republicans are probably overjoyed that he made this announcement.

I'm not sure about that at this point.

Even many of our absolutely dumbest Americans are starting to realize that this level of daily violence is not normal or acceptable. There will always be that group that will shriek for more guns until Gabriel blows his horn, but thankfully these thick-as-cement folk are becoming less I believe.
Not that I think there will be any substantial changes anytime soon.

Only a gun hoarder like you would notice that mistake. He meant AR-15 style weapons and everyone knows it. He's not coming after all semi-auto weapons nor is anyone else, sorry to say.

And besides that, no one is proposing taking any weapons away from LE. They are the only ones who should have one.

No one is coming after all semi-automatic weapons, you say.

And then immediately propose that no one other than law enforcement should have a weapon at all?

How do I kill a deer next weekend?

I'm not sure about that at this point.

Even many of our absolutely dumbest Americans are starting to realize that this level of daily violence is not normal or acceptable. There will always be that group that will shriek for more guns until Gabriel blows his horn, but thankfully these thick-as-cement folk are becoming less I believe.
Not that I think there will be any substantial changes anytime soon.
He doesn't have enough Democratic votes to pass an assault weapons ban, much less Republican votes. All it did was give Republicans a sound bite.

I guess that's a reply? Nothing to do with the post or article though.
Yeah. Taking the guns from the crazies has nothing to do with Biden railing about access to guns...but let's ignore talk about brass knuckles and knives. Good grief.

He doesn't have enough Democratic votes to pass an assault weapons ban, much less Republican votes. All it did was give Republicans a sound bite.

I would be shocked to see anything passed.

But I for one support the message that gun regulation should be far tougher, and I think that larger numbers of Americans support it as well.
Its an issue worth standing for, and if it gives someone a "sound bite" then so be it. Everything you say is going to be a sound bite for something. May as well stand up for what's important. Even if you know it wont get passed.

I would be shocked to see anything passed.

But I for one support the message that gun regulation should be far tougher, and I think that larger numbers of Americans support it as well.
Its an issue worth standing for, and if it gives someone a "sound bite" then so be it. Everything you say is going to be a sound bite for something. May as well stand up for what's important. Even if you know it wont get passed.
The number one priority should be defeating Republicans, as the party has radicalized.

The number one priority should be defeating Republicans, as the party has radicalized.

The number one priority should be pushing a better agenda for America, and that includes Gun Control. These BS political parties are killing us.

The number one priority should be pushing a better agenda for America, and that includes Gun Control. These BS political parties are killing us.
The issue is a liability, IMO. It needs to be the Republican party's liability, because it's their fault that nothing can be done. The first step to getting anything done is selling a winning platform and then winning.

The issue is a liability, IMO. It needs to be the Republican party's liability, because it's their fault that nothing can be done. The first step to getting anything done is selling a winning platform and then winning.

OK. Well I guess we dont see exactly eye to eye on the best approach then. I dont know if its a liability or not, but I stand with Our President on this issue, and want to see more of it.

OK. Well I guess we dont see exactly eye to eye on the best approach then. I dont know if its a liability or not, but I stand with Our President on this issue, and want to see more of it.
I understand your position.

Every single person that is armed to guard him and his family carries a semi-automatic firearm. I guess his protect is just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,”

Gee, that’s because unlike your average American, there are actual credible threats to Biden’s life. Duh.

This fantasy that people have to allow themselves to be murdered by far right extremists if they support gun control or they are “hypocritical” is pathetic.

Who is going to be using drones to bomb citizens in the US?

The fantasy that an actual tyrannical government wouldn’t use drones against American citizens is hysterically funny.

CNN
President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would work with Congress to “try to get rid of assault weapons” after a recent spate of shootings in the US.

“The idea (that) we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick, it’s just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,” Biden told reporters during a brief gaggle outside the Nantucket Fire Department in Massachusetts, where he greeted first responders.

Asked whether he would try to take action on guns, the president said, “I’m going to try. I’m going to try to get rid of assault weapons.” When pressed on whether he would try to do so during the lame duck session, he said, “I’m going to do it whenever – I’ve got to make that assessment as soon as I get in and start counting the votes.”

Now Biden wants to go after semiautomatic weapons. Biden makes this huge comment, which is all that matters in what he said. What does CNN do? Even though the quote is in the article, they completely ignore it. They act as if it's not even there. No mention at all about the significance of such a statement by the POTUS.

In fact, despite the headline, the majority of the article is about the possible railroad strike!
Good for him. That's leadership.

CNN

I agree with 100% of the President's quoted statement in the op. The style of weapons he refers to has no place in civil society.

Gee, that’s because unlike your average American, there are actual credible threats to Biden’s life. Duh.

This fantasy that people have to allow themselves to be murdered by far right extremists if they support gun control or they are “hypocritical” is pathetic.

That fantasy seems to be all yours.

So there are no credible threats to the lived of average Americans.

Good to know. Obviously there's no reason for further gun regulation then.

I agree with 100% of the President's quoted statement in the op. The style of weapons he refers to has no place in civil society.

They've had a place for over a hundred years. They're seldom used to murder anyone.
The sub category that figure most prominently in crime, became unfashionable to demonize a long time ago.

That fantasy seems to be all yours.

So there are no credible threats to the lived of average Americans.

Good to know. Obviously there's no reason for further gun regulation then.

Anyone who actually thinks the average American’s life is in as much danger as high profile politicians such as the president of the United States is totally clueless.

But then again, gun obsessives have never been known for their intelligence ;)

The fantasy that an actual tyrannical government wouldn’t use drones against American citizens is hysterically funny.

Would you categorize such a government as legitimate, or only if it was administered by Russians?

CNN

As much as it would never pass, and would be struck down by SCOTUS if it did, as least he said something that made sense for a change.

Banning weapons based on whether they have pistol grips or adjustable shoulder stocks (i.e., an "assault weapon" ban) is idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom