• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden rails against access to assault weapons after recent spate of shootings

Yes he was... He fully supported the ban..

This article

On May 3, 1994, Ronald Reagan and two other former presidents sent a letter to House members, urging them to support a controversial ban on lethal, military-style assault weapons. At the time, President Clinton was battling Republicans, conservative Democrats and the NRA to pass a bill barring many semiautomatic rifles.

Clinton needed all the help he could get it. He got it from Reagan, who still carried great weight in the Republican Party, as well as Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter.
Can you show where the votes of anyone were actually changed by Reagan's support?

You do know that neither the 1994 ban nor any current proposals take any "assault weapons" away, right?

CNN
President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would work with Congress to “try to get rid of assault weapons” after a recent spate of shootings in the US.

“The idea (that) we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick, it’s just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,” Biden told reporters during a brief gaggle outside the Nantucket Fire Department in Massachusetts, where he greeted first responders.

Asked whether he would try to take action on guns, the president said, “I’m going to try. I’m going to try to get rid of assault weapons.” When pressed on whether he would try to do so during the lame duck session, he said, “I’m going to do it whenever – I’ve got to make that assessment as soon as I get in and start counting the votes.”

Now Biden wants to go after semiautomatic weapons. Biden makes this huge comment, which is all that matters in what he said. What does CNN do? Even though the quote is in the article, they completely ignore it. They act as if it's not even there. No mention at all about the significance of such a statement by the POTUS.

In fact, despite the headline, the majority of the article is about the possible railroad strike!
I wonder what part of "shall not be infringed" Biden's pukes don't understand?

Can you show where the votes of anyone were actually changed by Reagan's support?

You do know that neither the 1994 ban nor any current proposals take any "assault weapons" away, right?
It says right there Reagan still carried a lot of weight with the Republican Party... Clinton went to him for help..

And it passed.. Case closed..

This announcement is a mistake, IMO. There is absolutely no chance any assault weapons ban will pass anytime soon because there aren't enough votes. His announcement in that sort of an environment only helps to get more radicalized Republicans elected. When the stakes are this high, the Democrats are going to have to seriously improve their strategy. At the end of the day, Republicans are probably overjoyed that he made this announcement.

It says right there Reagan still carried a lot of weight with the Republican Party... Clinton went to him for help..

And it passed.. Case closed..
Not really. That's not how proof works.

I wonder what part of 'well trained militia' you Trumpsters pukes don't understand..
The Supremes have already explained "well trained militia"...and it doesn't mean what you want to think it does.

I can name at least one solitary rational reason for owning semi-automatic weapons...

Because dumbasses like this promote stupid shit that doesnt work.

Deep fake, IS deep fake!

why do you post fake videos? ohhh, that's right. you are a con

You do realize that the only was laws are made at the federal level are through bills introduced in Congress, right?

Yeah

I wonder what part of 'well trained militia' you Trumpsters pukes don't understand..
You meant "well regulated" right? The militia, according US law is:

§246. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

You (intentionally?) missed the OP point.

This was the only (teeny tiny) portion of what Biden said about guns included in the OP’s CNN link ‘report’:
Pure partisan edited bullshit
Of course.

you deliberately post fake videos.
:ROFLMAO:
Yep...I deliberately posted that video that highlighted the stupidity of Bidens comments in a funny way.

Not really. That's not how proof works.
Lol.. No proof would be enough for you.. Reagan was a conservative god in the 80s and 90s... His word carried weight..

Originally you said he didn't support the assault weapon ban.. I pointed out that he most certainly did...

We'll leave it at that...

Pure partisan edited bullshit
Of course.

Typical media bias by omission. There was no need (to even pretend) to quote Biden, but to do so that selectively was ridiculous.

If the criminal abuse of X is just cause to ban it’s sale or possession then many things could be banned.
We already do. Heroin, Cuban cigars, brass knuckles, Switchblades, are just a few.

CNN
President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would work with Congress to “try to get rid of assault weapons” after a recent spate of shootings in the US.

“The idea (that) we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick, it’s just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,” Biden told reporters during a brief gaggle outside the Nantucket Fire Department in Massachusetts, where he greeted first responders.

Asked whether he would try to take action on guns, the president said, “I’m going to try. I’m going to try to get rid of assault weapons.” When pressed on whether he would try to do so during the lame duck session, he said, “I’m going to do it whenever – I’ve got to make that assessment as soon as I get in and start counting the votes.”

Now Biden wants to go after semiautomatic weapons. Biden makes this huge comment, which is all that matters in what he said. What does CNN do? Even though the quote is in the article, they completely ignore it. They act as if it's not even there. No mention at all about the significance of such a statement by the POTUS.

In fact, despite the headline, the majority of the article is about the possible railroad strike!
Says the politician who several years ago said it was cool to just fire a shotgun willy nilly.

We already do. Heroin, Cuban cigars, brass knuckles, Switchblades, are just a few.

Not everywhere.

Who are the "crazies" and why shouldn't they have guns?
Good question. I think it's the people with a lot of guns but you would have ask the former guy for specifics.

“Or, Mike, take the firearms first and then go to court, because that’s another system. Because a lot of times, by the time you go to court, it takes so long to go to court, to get the due process procedures. I like taking the guns early. Like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida, he had a lot of firearms – they saw everything – to go to court would have taken a long time, so you could do exactly what you’re saying, but take the guns first, go through due process second.” ~ DJT.

Back
Top Bottom