• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden rails against access to assault weapons after recent spate of shootings

Anthony60

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
CNN
President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would work with Congress to “try to get rid of assault weapons” after a recent spate of shootings in the US.

“The idea (that) we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick, it’s just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,” Biden told reporters during a brief gaggle outside the Nantucket Fire Department in Massachusetts, where he greeted first responders.

Asked whether he would try to take action on guns, the president said, “I’m going to try. I’m going to try to get rid of assault weapons.” When pressed on whether he would try to do so during the lame duck session, he said, “I’m going to do it whenever – I’ve got to make that assessment as soon as I get in and start counting the votes.”

Now Biden wants to go after semiautomatic weapons. Biden makes this huge comment, which is all that matters in what he said. What does CNN do? Even though the quote is in the article, they completely ignore it. They act as if it's not even there. No mention at all about the significance of such a statement by the POTUS.

In fact, despite the headline, the majority of the article is about the possible railroad strike!

CNN
President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would work with Congress to “try to get rid of assault weapons” after a recent spate of shootings in the US.

“The idea (that) we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick, it’s just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,” Biden told reporters during a brief gaggle outside the Nantucket Fire Department in Massachusetts, where he greeted first responders.

Asked whether he would try to take action on guns, the president said, “I’m going to try. I’m going to try to get rid of assault weapons.” When pressed on whether he would try to do so during the lame duck session, he said, “I’m going to do it whenever – I’ve got to make that assessment as soon as I get in and start counting the votes.”

Now Biden wants to go after semiautomatic weapons. Biden makes this huge comment, which is all that matters in what he said. What does CNN do? Even though the quote is in the article, they completely ignore it. They act as if it's not even there. No mention at all about the significance of such a statement by the POTUS.

In fact, despite the headline, the majority of the article is about the possible railroad strike!
We need to get the guns out of the hands of the crazies. The courts take to long.

there’s no way this Supreme Court would allow it.

The Heller decision was disastrous and must be overturned. But, there’s no way that can happen given the current makeup of SCOTUS

I can name at least one solitary rational reason for owning semi-automatic weapons...

Because dumbasses like this promote stupid shit that doesnt work.

there’s no way this Supreme Court would allow it.

The Heller decision was disastrous and must be overturned. But, there’s no way that can happen given the current makeup of SCOTUS
The Senate wouldn't allow it either.

Have you read S.736 or H.R.1808?

I can name at least one solitary rational reason for owning semi-automatic weapons...

Every single person that is armed to guard him and his family carries a semi-automatic firearm. I guess his protect is just sick. It has no social redeeming value, zero, none. Not a single, solitary rationale for it,”

I bet the families of the dead people are even more mad.

So you’re gonna go up against drone bombers with an AR 15 because of Obamacare subsidies?

So you’re gonna go up against drone bombers with an AR 15 because of Obamacare subsidies?
Who is going to be using drones to bomb citizens in the US?

They are actual bills in Congress introduced this session to "ban" "assault weapons".

Politicians want to appear like they are doing something.

Part of winning the messaging war against the GOP.

Not that I think 2A/Guns will be a motivating issues for left leaning voters.

But, that could change. Historically Abortion was a winning issue for the GOP, until it wasn’t anymore.

Your comment made as little sense as Bidens gun advise.

Politicians want to appear like they are doing something.

Part of winning the messaging war against the GOP.

Not that I think 2A/Guns will be a motivating issues for left leaning voters.

But, that could change. Historically Abortion was a winning issue for the GOP, until it wasn’t anymore.
You do realize that the only was laws are made at the federal level are through bills introduced in Congress, right?

Fox is covering it too.

Much respect to Joe no matter where you learn of his intent.

You (intentionally?) missed the OP point.

This was the only (teeny tiny) portion of what Biden said about guns included in the OP’s CNN link ‘report’:

On Thanksgiving, Biden told reporters that he would work with Congress to ”try to get rid of assault weapons.”

CNN

Only a gun hoarder like you would notice that mistake. He meant AR-15 style weapons and everyone knows it. He's not coming after all semi-auto weapons nor is anyone else, sorry to say.

And besides that, no one is proposing taking any weapons away from LE. They are the only ones who should have one.

Only a gun hoarder like you would notice that mistake. He meant AR-15 style weapons and everyone knows it. He's not coming after all semi-auto weapons nor is anyone else, sorry to say.

Hmm… is it accurate (or a lie) to say that Biden advocated for no longer allowing the sales of semi-automatic weapons?

So did Reagan... And then they banned them..

Here's the thing... As long as these maniacs keep shooting up schools, and clubs, and Wal-Marts.. Nothing will get done.. There are just the 'little people'...

If they start shooting the rich and powerful and their families? Then things will change... Reagan proved that..

“The idea (that) we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick,
what does he want us to use? muskets? a semi-automatic is not an "assault weapon"
More stupid Biden on display

He's certainly coming after some semiautomatic shotguns and some semiautomatic handguns.
And besides that, no one is proposing taking any weapons away from LE. They are the only ones who should have one.
He's not proposing to take any guns away from anyone, but rather is encouraging Congress to take action that will actually increased the number of AR-15s owned by citizens.

Why should LEOs be allowed to have them? The first mass shooting in the US by someone using an AR-15 was committed by an LEO using his department issued weapon.

So did Reagan... And then they banned them..
Banned what? Reagan wasn't part of the 1994 AWB.
Here's the thing... As long as these maniacs keep shooting up schools, and clubs, and Wal-Marts.. Nothing will get done.. There are just the 'little people'...
Have you actually read H.R.1808?
If they start shooting the rich and powerful and their families? Then things will change... Reagan proved that..
Reagan signed the FOPA which banned the purchase of new machine guns manufactured after 1986, and there had only been one murder with a legally owned machine gun since 1934.

Banned what? Reagan wasn't part of the 1994 AWB.
Yes he was... He fully supported the ban..

This article

On May 3, 1994, Ronald Reagan and two other former presidents sent a letter to House members, urging them to support a controversial ban on lethal, military-style assault weapons. At the time, President Clinton was battling Republicans, conservative Democrats and the NRA to pass a bill barring many semiautomatic rifles.

Clinton needed all the help he could get it. He got it from Reagan, who still carried great weight in the Republican Party, as well as Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter.

Back
Top Bottom