• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden on the Barrett Nomination

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Biden's statement (THE U.S. SUPREME COURT – STATEMENT BY VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN) hits the right notes. A quick reminder that voting rights and equal justice and Roe are all at stake before the pivot to the main takeaway: "health care hangs in the balance."

President Trump has been trying to throw out the Affordable Care Act for four years. Republicans have been trying to end it for a decade. Twice, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the law as constitutional.

But even now, in the midst of a global health pandemic, the Trump Administration is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the entire law, including its protections for people with pre-existing conditions. If President Trump has his way, complications from COVID-19, like lung scarring and heart damage, could become the next deniable pre-existing condition.

Trump and the GOP are rushing this illegitimate nomination through because they want another friendly face there when they go before the court on November 10 to argue for taking tens of millions of Americans' health care away. And bringing back pre-existing conditions during a pandemic.

Every Dem with a microphone, Twitter account, or tree stump to climb on and speak from should be reminding voters morning, noon, and night what Trump, every GOP candidate and elected official, and Barrett are trying to do to Americans' health care.

Now the Speaker of the House gets in on the fun: Pelosi Statement on Nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court
“For four years, President Trump has tried to crush the Affordable Care Act in the Congress and the Courts. This nomination threatens the destruction of life-saving protections for 135 million Americans with pre-existing conditions together with every other benefit and protection of the Affordable Care Act.

“The rules preventing insurance companies from treating being a woman as a pre-existing condition will be gone. Young people’s ability to stay on their parents’ insurance until age 26 will be gone. The Medicaid expansion bringing health care to millions and Medicare drug savings for seniors from closing the ‘donut hole’ will be gone. The ban stopping insurers from going back to placing annual and lifetime limits on your health care will be gone. And the out-of-pocket cost maximums that prevent families from going bankrupt from endless medical bills will be gone too.

“If this nominee is confirmed, millions of families’ health care will be ripped away in the middle of a pandemic that has infected seven million Americans and killed over 200,000 people in our country.

Hopefully this is the tone and message coming out of every Dem's mouth for the next several weeks. Since this is coming from the leadership and the nominee, it looks like it will be. Hallelujah.

Biden's statement (THE U.S. SUPREME COURT – STATEMENT BY VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN) hits the right notes. A quick reminder that voting rights and equal justice and Roe are all at stake before the pivot to the main takeaway: "health care hangs in the balance."

Trump and the GOP are rushing this illegitimate nomination through because they want another friendly face there when they go before the court on November 10 to argue for taking tens of millions of Americans' health care away. And bringing back pre-existing conditions during a pandemic.

Every Dem with a microphone, Twitter account, or tree stump to climb on and speak from should be reminding voters morning, noon, and night what Trump, every GOP candidate and elected official, and Barrett are trying to do to Americans' health care.

Care to explain what makes Barrett illegitimate?

Care to explain what makes Barrett illegitimate?

The election has already begun. And the current Senate leadership has already set the precedent that even if people weren't already voting (which they are), a nomination even in the same calendar year is too close in proximity to the election. Rushing this through to take away people's health care is an abomination.

Thankfully the Dems understand that pointing out the "what" and the "why" here in simple terms is the way to go. This is all about health care.

Ei39Tb8WsAAD7ug

Ei39PfDXcAABBs6

She has a mixed race family including 2 black children. It is predictable that bigot and racist Biden despises her.

If President Trump has his way, complications from COVID-19, like lung scarring and heart damage, could become the next deniable pre-existing condition.
Must be practicing for Halloween. 😂

Reactions: PoS

My issue with her is that she seems to be on the religious right of the political spectrum. She stated that she doesn't believe the constitution protects LGBTQ individuals. I hope I am wrong about this. I do not support discrimination and consider this a big factor in my 2020 decision.

The election has already begun. And the current Senate leadership has already set the precedent that even if people weren't already voting (which they are), a nomination even in the same calendar year is too close in proximity to the election. Rushing this through to take away people's health care is an abomination.

Thankfully the Dems understand that pointing out the "what" and the "why" here in simple terms is the way to go. This is all about health care.
-SNIP-
That does not answer the question asked. Perhaps you do not understand the meaning of something being illegitimate: not authorized by the law; not in accordance with accepted standards or rules.

Ginsberg herself addressed the same in 2016 concerning Obama and his lame duck appointment.

Sept. 23, 2020 (EIRNS)—Following a Sept. 7, 2016 speech at Georgetown Law School, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was asked whether “there were any valid constitutional arguments that would prevent President Obama from filling Justice Scalia’s seat on the Supreme Court.” (Scalia had died that February.)

Ginsburg responded:

“As you know, the president has the authority to name appointees to the Supreme Court, but he has to do so with the advice and consent of the Senate. And if the Senate does not act, as this current Senate is not acting, what can be done about it? Even if you could conceive of a testing lawsuit, what would the response be? ‘Well, you want us to vote? So we’ll vote no.’ But I do think that cooler heads will prevail; I hope sooner rather than later. The President is elected for four years not three years, so the powers that he has in year three continue into year four and maybe some members of the Senate will wake up and appreciate that that’s how it should be.”

It applied then and it applies the same today with Trump.

Classy as usual.

Ei39Tb8WsAAD7ug

Ei39PfDXcAABBs6
Not one thing you said here explains why Barrett’s nomination is illegitimate. Cite a legal explanation.

Sorry Sabre. I was typing while you already responded.

Reactions: PoS
The filibuster should have been abolished from the beginning.

Not one thing you said here explains why Barrett’s nomination is illegitimate. Cite a legal explanation.

Sorry Sabre. I was typing while you already responded.

Is it legitimate for a nominee to say this in 2016 and then accept a nomination less than 1.5 months before an election?

Now the Speaker of the House gets in on the fun: Pelosi Statement on Nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court

Hopefully this is the tone and message coming out of every Dem's mouth for the next several weeks. Since this is coming from the leadership and the nominee, it looks like it will be. Hallelujah.
The GOP and Cotton have set up a war room to defend Barrett from attacks. The GOP is miscalculating IMO. They democrats don’t need to attack Barrett personally. They already have the high road. They should resist this appointment for all the reasons Biden has laid out. Also, they can honor RGB’s dying wish.

The GOP knows the Kavanaugh’s fight ignited their base last time. The GOP made it about due process, but this Supreme Court fight isn’t going to look anything like that. There is a lot on the line. there are so many reasons to not vote yes on pushing this nomination through

The GOP and Cotton have set up a war room to defend Barrett from attacks. The GOP is miscalculating IMO. They democrats don’t need to attack Barrett personally. They already have the high road. They should resist this appointment for all the reasons Biden has laid out. Also, they can honor RGB’s dying wish.

The GOP knows the Kavanaugh’s fight ignited their base last time. The GOP made it about due process, but this Supreme Court fight isn’t going to look anything like that. There is a lot on the line. there are so many reasons to not vote yes on pushing this nomination through

Just keep playing this video over and over.... Does it help the legitimacy of the court to have a justice that is CLEARLY being hypocritical...

what crap: why is this illegitimate?

My issue with her is that she seems to be on the religious right of the political spectrum. She stated that she doesn't believe the constitution protects LGBTQ individuals. I hope I am wrong about this. I do not support discrimination and consider this a big factor in my 2020 decision.
She’s Catholic and the GOP is trying to make this an issue of all Catholics, but I think that there’s two sides to this. I’m not sure that all Catholics would want to be associated with her views. There are a lot of Catholics. How many Catholics would want her to represent the faith of all Catholics?

I just don’t think the way the GOP is playing this is very smart. There are already a lot of Catholics on the Supreme Court, and Biden is a Catholic

Just keep playing this video over and over.... Does it help the legitimacy of the court to have a justice that is CLEARLY being hypocritical...

That’s sad. She seems partisan and completely lacking principles. Our country doesn’t deserve this

Other than religious bigotry?

Sure: Trump has been impeached, and received bipartisan support for removal. He and other Republicans have stated a) it’s inevitable that the election goes to the SC and thus they have to have a 9th picked-by-Trump-judge on there. The SC, like any other institution we have, does not only get it’s authority from the constitution. It needs the belief from Americans that it is an impartial, legitimate body. Even if Barret were those things, Trump has stated repeatedly he wants her there for a court case he is telegraphing he wants her to weigh in on.

The entire thing from the process to the goal is anti-democratic and designed to try to use cover of institution to retain power despite the country telling Trump he is no longer wanted. I don[t know why the GOP keeps insisting the election is pre-rigged and htis justice must be there to decide. I mean...other than electoral bigotry.

She’s Catholic and the GOP is trying to make this an issue of all Catholics, but I think that there’s two sides to this. I’m not sure that all Catholics would want to be associated with her views. There are a lot of Catholics. How many Catholics would want her to represent the faith of all Catholics?

I just don’t think the way the GOP is playing this is very smart. There are already a lot of Catholics on the Supreme Court, and Biden is a Catholic

First off, I am Catholic myself. Roman Catholic to be exact. And I don't believe the government shouldn't be imposing Catholic teachings onto the rest of the country. There's a video of her talking to a group of people before the election, stating that the same-sex marriage case was unconstitutional, even though state courts ruled that barring same-sex marriage violates the equal protection and due process clauses within the 14th amendment and discriminates based on sex.

It's true that most Catholics support Biden, but good Catholics don't want to strip LGBTQ Americans of their civil rights.

To note: I hope I read her incorrectly.

Last edited:

I have noted my objection. I would like to know her views on LGBTQ Americans for 2020. Hopefully they have shifted. I cannot in good conscience support a religious right figure.

First off, I am Catholic myself. Roman Catholic to be exact. And I don't believe the government shouldn't be imposing Catholic teachings onto the rest of the country. There's a video of her talking to a group of people before the election, stating that the same-sex marriage case was unconstitutional, even though state courts ruled that barring same-sex marriage violates the equal protection and due process clauses within the 14th amendment and discriminates based on sex.

It's true that most Catholics support Biden, but good Catholics want to strip LGBTQ Americans of their civil rights.

To note: I hope I read her incorrectly.

Considering your last statement, are you saying that you're not a good Catholic?

Ironic coming from a Trump supporter. You know he ran on a Muslim ban, right?

The issue is, I don't know many anti religious bigots. I do know a lot of fundamentals have a sense of persecution however. Her religion isn't the main issue. There are many reasons to be concerned with a candidate like her.

Sure: Trump has been impeached, and received bipartisan support for removal. He and other Republicans have stated a) it’s inevitable that the election goes to the SC and thus they have to have a 9th picked-by-Trump-judge on there. The SC, like any other institution we have, does not only get it’s authority from the constitution. It needs the belief from Americans that it is an impartial, legitimate body. Even if Barret were those things, Trump has stated repeatedly he wants her there for a court case he is telegraphing he wants her to weigh in on.

The entire thing from the process to the goal is anti-democratic and designed to try to use cover of institution to retain power despite the country telling Trump he is no longer wanted. I don[t know why the GOP keeps insisting the election is pre-rigged and htis justice must be there to decide. I mean...other than electoral bigotry.
if Hillary was president now, and had a slim majority in the senate-would she do anything differently? I just love you Trump haters who pretend that the Democrat party is somehow more honest or more virtuous than the GOP

if Hillary was president now, and had a slim majority in the senate-would she do anything differently? I just love you Trump haters who pretend that the Democrat party is somehow more honest or more virtuous than the GOP

I don’t know! But we both know the GOP would be running these clips of them saying “It’s only right not to do this in an election year” and the dems would be getting buried for it. You do understand how politics works, right? GOP said what they said *just* 4 years ago. And we are weeks from an election.

Any way you want to cut it, this is politically a nightmare for the GOP. I get why.- you *have* to grab the court if you can. There is no other option. Gotta replace RBG, it’s too big of a get. But the timing makes it miserable and the Dems should be burying the GOP in it.

Back
Top Bottom