• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden on the Barrett Nomination

On yours? Next to zero. McConnell himself has said previously “They don’t come out to say thank you.” Democrats will not be coming out to say “Thank you.” ;)
But Democrats were voting against him anyway. I really don't see this moving the needle at all for undecideds.

If you want to talk in terms of turnout, it might fire up some people on the left - but to punt on a Supreme Court pick would have been disasterous for turnout on the right, so in that respect it helped the vote.

in four years, I have seen any evidence of that
Most Americans don't want our voting system corrupted. We want free and fair elections, and we only want people in power who honor the peaceful transfer of power. Please, there is no excuse to support such behavior. I wouldn't tolerate it with Hillary or from anybody. You really have no excuse for this.

You should have all the health care you can afford. What the GOP apparently wants is to stop what is essentially income redistribution
our entire health care system is about income redistribution, and it's the number one reason of bankruptcy in America.

Has the GOP put forth a plan for health care. No. All they want to do is repeal what we have.

You should have all the health care you can afford. What the GOP apparently wants is to stop what is essentially income redistribution

This is economic illiteracy speaking. So, probably an accurate summation of the GOP’s position.

Intersting. Catholics and Evengelics are at odds? It seems like many Catholics are very pro life.

I am honestly not sure what Catholic beliefs are more mainstream than others. However, I have known Catholics that are pro life and don't even use birth control. My understanding is ACB is in the later group.

She actually practices the Catholic Churches position very devoutly and I respect that... The church prohibits any form of birth control except natural birth control.

But Democrats were voting against him anyway. I really don't see this moving the needle at all for undecideds.

If you want to talk in terms of turnout, it might fire up some people on the left - but to punt on a Supreme Court pick would have been disasterous for turnout on the right, so in that respect it helped the vote.

I agree with you100%. No snark. GOP had no choice. You have to replace RBG with a con woman. Have to. The base stays home in droves if they don’t.

Sure: Trump has been impeached, and received bipartisan support for removal. He and other Republicans have stated a) it’s inevitable that the election goes to the SC and thus they have to have a 9th picked-by-Trump-judge on there. The SC, like any other institution we have, does not only get it’s authority from the constitution. It needs the belief from Americans that it is an impartial, legitimate body. Even if Barret were those things, Trump has stated repeatedly he wants her there for a court case he is telegraphing he wants her to weigh in on.

The entire thing from the process to the goal is anti-democratic and designed to try to use cover of institution to retain power despite the country telling Trump he is no longer wanted. I don[t know why the GOP keeps insisting the election is pre-rigged and htis justice must be there to decide. I mean...other than electoral bigotry.
You hit the nail on the head! The crux of the problem is the minority's tyranny upon the majority. And the Electoral College is the tyranny institutionalized! Ditto, for the Senate. There will never be peace among the populace with these archaic institutions in place.

Since the 17th A, there's no rationale or need for dolling-out Senators two-to-a-state, ignoring the number of citizens they represent. Ditto, for the Electoral College. Let them go the way of 3/5th's a person and suffrage. There's a lot our founders got wrong, and it's coming back to bite us now and is keeping us from moving forward.

You hit the nail on the head! The crux of the problem is the minority's tyranny upon the majority. And the Electoral College is the tyranny institutionalized! Ditto for the Senate. There will never be peace among the populace with these archaic institutions in place.

Since the 17th A, there's no rationale or need for dolling-out Senators two-to-a-state, ignoring the number of citizens the represent. Ditto for the Electoral College. Let them go the way of 3/5th's a person and suffrage. There's a lot our founders got wrong, and it's coming back to bite us now and is keeping us from moving forward.

Ita looking increasingly likely that the founders knew exactly what they we’re doing and why. White men gonna white men.

Biden's statement (THE U.S. SUPREME COURT – STATEMENT BY VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN) hits the right notes. A quick reminder that voting rights and equal justice and Roe are all at stake before the pivot to the main takeaway: "health care hangs in the balance."

Trump and the GOP are rushing this illegitimate nomination through because they want another friendly face there when they go before the court on November 10 to argue for taking tens of millions of Americans' health care away. And bringing back pre-existing conditions during a pandemic.

Every Dem with a microphone, Twitter account, or tree stump to climb on and speak from should be reminding voters morning, noon, and night what Trump, every GOP candidate and elected official, and Barrett are trying to do to Americans' health care.

It's not an illegitimate nomination; it's a power play. It's similar to the stunt the GOP pulled in 2016; they're just backtracking and tap dancing around it because now their precedent doesn't work for them. It sets up for SC nominations to depend on who is controlling the Senate.

Care to explain what makes Barrett illegitimate?

Er, absolutely nothing at all makes her appointment illegitimate.

This is just yet another case of the Democrats trying to strum up anti-Trump hysteria.

Ita looking increasingly likely that the founders knew exactly what they we’re doing and why. White men gonna white men.

Yes, those terrible white people who have made black Americans the richest people of African descent in the world.

The GOP and Cotton have set up a war room to defend Barrett from attacks. The GOP is miscalculating IMO. They democrats don’t need to attack Barrett personally. They already have the high road. They should resist this appointment for all the reasons Biden has laid out. Also, they can honor RGB’s dying wish.

The GOP knows the Kavanaugh’s fight ignited their base last time. The GOP made it about due process, but this Supreme Court fight isn’t going to look anything like that. There is a lot on the line. there are so many reasons to not vote yes on pushing this nomination through
The Republicans may win the battle, getting her on the court, but lose the war, since Democratic voters will be more energized in the election and expand the court size if they take the Senate and White House.

Democrats suck at politics. You cannot shame Republicans into doing the right thing. Maybe Dems shouldn't have unilaterally disarmed the second RBG died. Republicans cheat, and Dems just stand there like a stunned boxer.

Democrats suck at politics. You cannot shame Republicans into doing the right thing. Maybe Dems shouldn't have unilaterally disarmed the second RBG died. Republicans cheat, and Dems just stand there like a stunned boxer.
Democrats can't do much, because the GOP has a majority.

if Hillary was president now, and had a slim majority in the senate-would she do anything differently? I just love you Trump haters who pretend that the Democrat party is somehow more honest or more virtuous than the GOP
The Democratic Senate approved every one of George W. Bush’s SCOTUS nominations. McConnell refused to even give Garland a hearing and McConnell said if Hillary won, he’d hold the seat open for four years.

Yes, the Democratic Party is more honest and more virtuous than the GOP.

The Democratic Senate approved every one of George W. Bush’s SCOTUS nominations. McConnell refused to even give Garland a hearing and McConnell said if Hillary won, he’d hold the seat open for four years.

Yes, the Democratic Party is more honest and more virtuous than the GOP.

the DEMOCRAT PARTY never had a majority when Bush nominated his USSC picks. IT DENIED Peter Keisler and Miguel Estrada hearings even though both eminently qualified men had the votes to be seated in the Court of appeals.

How did white people make black people rich, specifically?
creating an economy that allows Oprah, LeBron, Earl Graves etc to become multimillionaires. Not something easily done in places like Equatorial Guinea or Liberia.

Ironic coming from a Trump supporter. You know he ran on a Muslim ban, right?

Bigotry is unjustly stereotyping ethnic groups.

If a religious group is literally killing Americans in the name of their religion, and others in the group are not standing up and trying to stop them, discriminating against this group, in order to save lives, is not bigotry.

creating an economy that allows Oprah, LeBron, Earl Graves etc to become multimillionaires. Not something easily done in places like Equatorial Guinea or Liberia.

Whites didn't create the American economy. That's a stupid statement, especially in a historical context where whites literally had free labor and accumulated wealth off the backs of black slaves for hundreds of years. In anything, the slaves built America and whites reaped the benefits.

Bigotry is unjustly stereotyping ethnic groups.

If a religious group is literally killing Americans in the name of their religion, and others in the group are not standing up and trying to stop them, discriminating against this group, in order to save lives, is not bigotry.
I know many Muslims in the US military, so Muslims are fightig and dying to protect Americans. Muslims are killing enemy Muslims under the stars and stripes. You're right, unjustly stereotyping ethnic groups is bigoted. I am glad we agree. I see less evidence of Christian persecution however.

the DEMOCRAT PARTY never had a majority when Bush nominated his USSC picks. IT DENIED Peter Keisler and Miguel Estrada hearings even though both eminently qualified men had the votes to be seated in the Court of appeals.
You're moving the goalpost. I specifically said SCOTUS.

Estrada was a right-wing ideologue with no experience as a judge. Peter Keisler was thought by the Senate as being out of the mainstream of legal thought and his nomination was sent back to Bush.

I know many Muslims in the US military, so Muslims are fightig and dying to protect Americans. Muslims are killing enemy Muslims under the stars and stripes. You're right, unjustly stereotyping ethnic groups is bigoted. I am glad we agree. I see less evidence of Christian persecution however.
I completely agree with this.

But in terms of the Muslim ban time period, why didn’t American Muslims band together, and rise up and destroy those who were perverting their faith?

This would have prevented the need for a Muslim ban.

I ask this with the utmost respect.

Back
Top Bottom