• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden on the Barrett Nomination

I don’t know! But we both know the GOP would be running these clips of them saying “It’s only right not to do this in an election year” and the dems would be getting buried for it. You do understand how politics works, right? GOP said what they said *just* 4 years ago. And we are weeks from an election.

Any way you want to cut it, this is politically a nightmare for the GOP. I get why.- you *have* to grab the court if you can. There is no other option. Gotta replace RBG, it’s too big of a get. But the timing makes it miserable and the Dems should be burying the GOP in it.
I guess we will see how it turns out. I suspect if the same tactics are used against this lady that the scum patrol used against Kavanaugh, it is going to be bad news for Biden

Biden's statement (THE U.S. SUPREME COURT – STATEMENT BY VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN) hits the right notes. A quick reminder that voting rights and equal justice and Roe are all at stake before the pivot to the main takeaway: "health care hangs in the balance."

Trump and the GOP are rushing this illegitimate
nomination through because they want another friendly face there when they go before the court on November 10 to argue for taking tens of millions of Americans' health care away. And bringing back pre-existing conditions during a pandemic.

Every Dem with a microphone, Twitter account, or tree stump to climb on and speak from should be reminding voters morning, noon, and night what Trump, every GOP candidate and elected official, and Barrett are trying to do to Americans' health care.

Not that you would care but I stopped reading here....

Sure: Trump has been impeached, and received bipartisan support for removal. He and other Republicans have stated a) it’s inevitable that the election goes to the SC and thus they have to have a 9th picked-by-Trump-judge on there. The SC, like any other institution we have, does not only get it’s authority from the constitution. It needs the belief from Americans that it is an impartial, legitimate body. Even if Barret were those things, Trump has stated repeatedly he wants her there for a court case he is telegraphing he wants her to weigh in on.

The entire thing from the process to the goal is anti-democratic and designed to try to use cover of institution to retain power despite the country telling Trump he is no longer wanted. I don[t know why the GOP keeps insisting the election is pre-rigged and htis justice must be there to decide. I mean...other than electoral bigotry.
Impeachment is irrelevant because Trump was acquitted of all charges by a democratically-elected Senate. That will only be remembered as another bulletpoint example of an age of hyperpartisanship.

I don't see anything "anti-democratic" about a process that has been used to nominate and confirm Supreme Court justices for a couple hundred years.

I guess we will see how it turns out. I suspect if the same tactics are used against this lady that the scum patrol used against Kavanaugh, it is going to be bad news for Biden

We disagree on Bart, but in this instance Josh Hawley has stated he wants the nom to confirm she will overturn Roe or he’s not voting. A GOP senator is going to bring up abortion and make her undergo a litmus test. Do you think the Dems are gonna stand in his way and grab at that “L” this close to the election? Do you *really* suppose that the Dems’ goal is to stop this nomination which we all know is a going to happen? They’re even speculating that maybe tehy shoudln’t even show up. Not a terrible idea.

GOP is in one of those situations “be careful what you wish for.”

if Hillary was president now, and had a slim majority in the senate-would she do anything differently? I just love you Trump haters who pretend that the Democrat party is somehow more honest or more virtuous than the GOP
If Hillary was talking about our election process the way Trump is, and Hillary said she needed another judge on the bench for her re-election... umm, yes, I would be enraged. I actually care about free and fair elections, and I value everybody in America having rights.

The GOP is supposed to be the party of small government and liberty, but they have done nothing except embolden an unfit narcissistic interested in maintaining power.

Impeachment is irrelevant because Trump was acquitted of all charges by a democratically-elected Senate. That will only be remembered as another bulletpoint example of an age of hyperpartisanship.

I don't see anything "anti-democratic" about a process that has been used to nominate and confirm Supreme Court justices for a couple hundred years.

The process itself isnt under question. it’s the GOP’s stated desire to ignore their own principles from just 4 years ago. This is the political cross they’re just gonna have to bear. Winning on a technicality wont’ generate a single vote for ya.

If Hillary was talking about our election process the way Trump is, and Hillary said she needed another judge on the bench for her re-election... umm, yes, I would be enraged. I actually care about free and fair elections, and I value everybody in America having rights.

The GOP is supposed to be the party of small government and liberty, but they have done nothing except embolden an unfit narcissistic interested in maintaining power.

opinion noted, not shared.

Oh my god I can’t even be bothered to get into how psychotic it is that Republicans say whatever bullshit they want and insist everyone else has to dance to the tune. Trump can basically state he needs a 9th judge to give him the election and DERP THIS IS HOW AMERICA WORKS DERP.

The process itself isnt under question. it’s the GOP’s stated desire to ignore their own principles from just 4 years ago. This is the political cross they’re just gonna have to bear. Winning on a technicality wont’ generate a single vote for ya.
True. I doubt it will have much of an effect one way or the other on the vote.

You know better. Or at least you should.
When a person becomes president after running a campaign speaking about Christians and Christian immigration the way Trump talked about Muslims, then I will discuss with you how persecuted it is to be a Christian in American.

Fox news and right wingers led protests against the Ground Zero Mosque. How would you feel if that had been a church, and the construction of church was ended because of... bigotry and persecution.

The double standards make me sick.

The GOP have made themselves out to be a pack of liars and hypocrites when it comes to the Supreme Court and everything being said right now.

True. I doubt it will have much of an effect one way or the other on the vote.

On yours? Next to zero. McConnell himself has said previously “They don’t come out to say thank you.” Democrats will not be coming out to say “Thank you.” ;)

Oh... lol.... it didn't make sense. I understand now. Do most Catholics actually support LBTG rights?

Yes, they do. ACB (Amy Coney Barrett) is suppose to attract the religious right/Evangelicals/Orthodox types.

She would do justice for me, if she distances herself from the religious right crowd. It's really preposterous that she would defend the dissenters in the Obergefell case.

Sorry about that. When I get tired, I generally miss a word or two.

The GOP and Cotton have set up a war room to defend Barrett from attacks. The GOP is miscalculating IMO. They democrats don’t need to attack Barrett personally. They already have the high road. They should resist this appointment for all the reasons Biden has laid out. Also, they can honor RGB’s dying wish.

Exactly, the focus needs to be entirely on reminding people what the GOP’s game here is: installing a reliable vote to overturn the ban on pre-existing conditions and take health care from tens of millions of Americans.

Based on the statements the leaders of the party have put out tonight, looks like they get that.

opinion noted, not shared.
But he has made the statements he has made. That changes this from normal politics to a threat to democracy. There is no reason to defend Trump's statements or his statements on wanting this supreme court pick shoved through. If Hillary said it, the right would lose their mind. I would be absolutely appalled in Hillary too. There is no excuse for this. It's not a matter of opinion at this point. It's a matter of partisanship and having a dangerous person in power.

I have noted my objection. I would like to know her views on LGBTQ Americans for 2020. Hopefully they have shifted. I cannot in good conscience support a religious right figure.
I can't comment because I haven't seen the video you referenced.

But he has made the statements he has made. That changes this from normal politics to a threat to democracy. There is no reason to defend Trump's statements or his statements on wanting this supreme court pick shoved through. If Hillary said it, the right would lose their mind. I would be absolutely appalled in Hillary too. There is no excuse for this. It's not a matter of opinion at this point. It's a matter of partisanship and having a dangerous person in power.
in four years, I have seen any evidence of that

If we’ve learned one thing in the past decade, it’s that there is nothing more important to the GOP than taking away people’s health care. Certainly not their own precedents or phony “principles.”

Yes, they do. ACB (Amy Coney Barrett) is suppose to attract the religious right/Evangelicals/Orthodox types.

She would do justice for me, if she distances herself from the religious right crowd. It's really preposterous that she would defend the dissenters in the Obergefell case.

Sorry about that. When I get tired, I generally miss a word or two.
Intersting. Catholics and Evengelics are at odds? It seems like many Catholics are very pro life.

I am honestly not sure what Catholic beliefs are more mainstream than others. However, I have known Catholics that are pro life and don't even use birth control. My understanding is ACB is in the later group.

Exactly, the focus needs to be entirely on reminding people what the GOP’s game here is: installing a reliable vote to overturn the ban on pre-existing conditions and take health care from tens of millions of Americans.

Based on the statements the leaders of the party have put out tonight, looks like they get that.

I agree. With the republicans trying to make this an attack on Catholics (political pandering), I wonder if Trump will take this on the national level. That would be funny, because Biden is a Catholic and Trump can't hold a bible the right way.

If we’ve learned one thing in the past decade, it’s that there is nothing more important to the GOP than taking away people’s health care. Certainly not their own precedents or phony “principles.”
You should have all the health care you can afford. What the GOP apparently wants is to stop what is essentially income redistribution

Back
Top Bottom