• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden leads Trump on Most Issues, Except

The economy cratered because Trump let the experts convince him to lock the country down and then the left immediately blamed Trump for the locked down economy.

Other countries with effective leaders attacked the virus quickly by ramping up testing quickly, encouraging social distancing and masks while Trump was discouraging masks, saying testing is overrated and downplaying the severity of the problem. As a result of other countries quick action they were able to have less severe lockdowns. They also waited until they were able to control the virus before reopening while Trump was yelling LIBERATE, LIBERATE.

The experts knew what to do but Trump fought them every step of the way. That’s why we are in the mess we are in and thankfully most Americans have realized Trump failed the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Other countries with effective leaders attacked the virus quickly by ramping up testing quickly, encouraging social distancing and masks while Trump was discouraging masks, saying testing is overrated and downplaying the severity of the problem. As a result of other countries quick action they were able to have less severe lockdowns. They also waited until they were able to control the virus before reopening while Trump was yelling LIBERATE, LIBERATE.

The experts knew what to do but Trump fought them every step of the way. That’s why we are in the mess we are in and thankfully most Americans have realized Trump failed the country.

Actually, I believe that the "other countries", most of them, had more stringent lockdowns than we did. Birx said yesterday that she wishes we would have had the kind of lockdown that Italy did. Fauci said we actually were only about 50% closed when others in Europe were more like 90% closed. Thats how they got control of this. And thats what we need to do to obtain a similar result.

Ummmmmm, the virus has given every country in the world problems and now we are seeing it increasing again all over the world, even in New Zealand.

Lol! New Zealand had 9 new cases yesterday, we had 40,000! 9 is controllable 40,000 is out of control. With only 9 cases testing, quarantine and contact tracing can control the virus.

You completely miss the point no one can eradicate the virus. But most of the developed world has CONTROLLED it.

They also waited until they were able to control the virus before reopening while Trump was yelling LIBERATE, LIBERATE.

I can't imagine how anyone would think we would forget this.

Biden has no plan. The only thing I've actually even heard him say on Covid is that we should have a national mask mandate, which is stupid. Why should Hawaiians wear masks? Why shouldn't they go to school?

Hawaii already has a mask mandate. Perhaps that just might have something to do with their success.

Actually, I believe that the "other countries", most of them, had more stringent lockdowns than we did. Birx said yesterday that she wishes we would have had the kind of lockdown that Italy did. Fauci said we actually were only about 50% closed when others in Europe were more like 90% closed. Thats how they got control of this. And thats what we need to do to obtain a similar result.

I’m not thinking of countries like Italy who had to lockdown severely because they screwed up at the beginning like we did. I’m referring to countries that followed the science because their leadership believes in science unlike Trump. Two examples are Germany’s Merkel who actually is a scientist and South Korea. Because of their early actions their lockdowns did not have to be as severe as other countries and it reflects in their results both economically and health wise.

US: 2qtr GDP = -32.9%, unemployment rate = 10.2%, deaths per million to date = 526

Germany: 2qtr GDP = -10.1%, unemployment rate = 4.2%, deaths per million to date = 111

South Korea: 2qtr GDP = -3.3%, unemployment rate = 4.3%, deaths per million = 6

Biden gave us his plan back in January. “My policies will always uphold science, not fiction.” At the same time Biden also told us why Trump would fail “Trump’s demonstrated failures of judgment and his repeated rejection of science make him the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health challenge.” Truer words were never spoken.

Last edited:
I’m not thinking of countries like Italy who had to lockdown severely because they screwed up at the beginning like we did. I’m referring to countries that followed the science because their leadership believes in science unlike Trump. Two examples are Germany’s Merkel who actually is a scientist and South Korea. Because of their early actions their lockdowns did not have to be as severe as other countries and it reflects in their results both economically and health wise.

US: 2qtr GDP = -32.9%, unemployment rate = 10.2%, deaths per million to date = 526

Germany: 2qtr GDP = -10.1%, unemployment rate = 4.2%, deaths per million to date = 111

South Korea: 2qtr GDP = -3.3%, unemployment rate = 4.3%, deaths per million = 6

Biden gave us his plan back in January. “My policies will always uphold science, not fiction.” At the same time Biden also told us why Trump would fail “Trump’s demonstrated failures of judgment and his repeated rejection of science make him the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health challenge.” Truer words were never spoken.

In all fairness, this plan is too general. I also want specifics. "Following science" would mean that right now he would shut down a lot of the country, and while I think thats a good idea, I am not in a rush to see the details. They will no doubt be revealed in good time. Whatever his plan is its got to be better than that of the jackass of Pennsylvania Avenue.

In all fairness, this plan is too general. I also want specifics. "Following science" would mean that right now he would shut down a lot of the country, and while I think thats a good idea, I am not in a rush to see the details. They will no doubt be revealed in good time. Whatever his plan is its got to be better than that of the jackass of Pennsylvania Avenue.

The plan would have to be tailored to the conditions that exist in January 2021. Right now we don’t know if we will be better or worse off then.

It’s not really that complicated. Other countries have been successful and our scientists are just as capable as theirs. Even if they weren’t we could just copy what the successful countries have done. We just need a leader who will fully support the effort instead of fighting it.

Our biggest failures compared to other countries were mostly things that Trump has fought against. Those would be mask wearing, and inadequate testing, quarantine and contact tracing. Additionally when we locked down we should have stayed locked down long enough so that the measures in the previous sentence would be enough to control the virus. Some partial lockdown measures may also be needed. For example, Sweden allows bars to be open but they only allow socially distanced table service. No standing around. This would put us in the position most developed countries are in. From time to time under this condition there will be regional flare ups that require regional partial or full lockdowns until the virus can be put under control again. Some successful countries are having flare ups now, but they have a plan to get them under control.

The plan would have to be tailored to the conditions that exist in January 2021. Right now we don’t know if we will be better or worse off then.

It’s not really that complicated. Other countries have been successful and our scientists are just as capable as theirs. Even if they weren’t we could just copy what the successful countries have done. We just need a leader who will fully support the effort instead of fighting it.

Our biggest failures compared to other countries were mostly things that Trump has fought against. Those would be mask wearing, and inadequate testing, quarantine and contact tracing. Additionally when we locked down we should have stayed locked down long enough so that the measures in the previous sentence would be enough to control the virus. Some partial lockdown measures may also be needed. For example, Sweden allows bars to be open but they only allow socially distanced table service. No standing around. This would put us in the position most developed countries are in. From time to time under this condition there will be regional flare ups that require regional partial or full lockdowns until the virus can be put under control again. Some successful countries are having flare ups now, but they have a plan to get them under control.

Agreed. Its really not that complicated. We all know what needs to be done (in the absence of a vaccine) to control this. Its a matter of how far Biden is willing to go if he wins in November. Would he be willing to require the hot spots to nearly completely shut down (or make receiving federal assistance contingent on shutting down for the governors who are recalcitrant)? Or just a mask mandate? Hopefully, if he wins, his first order of business is going to be to address this head on.

BTW, the vaccine trials are running into issues recruiting minorities to participate in them. There is a requirement that a certain percentage of minorities participate to account for the possibility that the vaccine affects different races differently. Understandably people of color are somewhat reluctant to sign up for the trials, given the history of the way such trials were conducted in the past. Hopefully Moderna will overcome this soon.

a chief one to voters according to NBCNews. This is concerning for the Biden campaign

--------------------------

The NBC News/WSJ survey suggests that as of right now, the economy is the main issue on people’s minds, and on that issue, Trump leads Biden by 10 points.

Biden leads Trump on most issues, except a chief one to voters

I don't think that matters. One must remember in 2018 Trump and the Republicans on the economy had a 54% approval vs. 44% disapproval average and still lost 40 house seats. That election was more about the dislike of Trump as a person, an individual, the man.

Today, according to RCP, Trump's approval on the economy is 49.4% approve, 48.1% disapprove.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Trump Job Approval - Economy

So I'd say the economy isn't about to save Trump from Trump or Trump being Trump. It's his obnoxious personality and his very unpresidential behavior, not his policies or what he has done or hasn't done as president that will lead to a Biden victory. Look at this, how America as a whole views Trump vs. Biden. Trump favorable 41%, unfavorable 56%. Biden favorable 45.8%, unfavorable 47.2%.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 Favorability Ratings

It's the dislike factor or in this case the difference in the number of folks, voters if you will that view Trump unfavorably vs those who view Biden unfavorably. History show Folks usually don't vote for someone they dislike.

Back
Top Bottom