• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Is Kicking People Out On The Street

Money taken away from police department operating budgets and reallocated to other city departments means they don't have the resources they need for policing.
But it's more than just police department budgets shrinking.
Firstly, it is important not to turn budget cuts into some foreign and unexpected occurrence that has never happened before. It happens and should be scrutinized.
Each situation should be judged on an individual basis. Blanket statements like reallocating budgets is bad, is alarmist and inflammatory rhetoric.
When police pull back, minority neighborhoods beg for them to come back. At one time is was isolated, as in the case of Ferguson. What we are seeing now is city wide pull back, so many multiple neighborhoods impacted the same way.
Do you support Trump defunding the military for the border wall? I am interested to see if you have a one sided view on 'defunding'.
Sending me a link to a theory is hardly any sort of adequate research, fact, or evidence that backs up your point. What you are using is regurgitated statements from media, politicians and assumptions to make your point. IT HAS NO MERIT.

Have you got any evidence to show that minority neighbourhoods disagree with these type of policies? Other than a Wikipedia article.

Go have fun living in those cities then. Don't bring such public policies to my city.
What is also clear is far to many people in the US are scared of having a conversation about police funding because some conservatives have turned this into alarmist and inflammatory rhetoric whereby people actually believe in this false narrative.

I am still unsure why you would not support proactive strategies (ie. mental health support to help prevent crime)?
Some Minneapolis city council members would like a redo on defunding the police: report​
Confusion abounds in the city council as the path to reallocating police funds is not as unilateral as assumed.​
By Alexandra Kelley | Sept. 28, 2020​
This doesn't prove your point at all. It just proves that there are "reports" council members are withdrawing their support of a particular policy.
And also:

So much for defund the police! Minneapolis to spend $6.4M recruiting MORE officers following sharp rise in crime and up to 200 cops quitting after George Floyd riots and $8m budget cuts​

• Minneapolis City Council voted unanimously on Friday to approve $6.4million in additional funding that the police department requested
  • According to the Minneapolis Police Department, there are only 638 officers available to work, which is roughly 200 fewer than usual
  • An unprecedented number of officers quit or went on extended medical leave after the death of George Floyd on May 25, 2020, and the unrest that followed
  • Funding was approved despite some City Council members and activist groups advocating to replace the police department following Floyd's death
Once the police are gone, they are quickly demanded back.
I find it amazing how your manipulate truths to make your point.
Lets make this very clear the officers left not because the police department was defunded but because of the issues surrounding George Floyd.

This is really frustrating because your points are so invalid and you have no evidence to support them.

Firstly, it is important not to turn budget cuts into some foreign and unexpected occurrence that has never happened before. It happens and should be scrutinized.
Each situation should be judged on an individual basis. Blanket statements like reallocating budgets is bad, is alarmist and inflammatory rhetoric.
If those don't have detrimental effects, sure. When they do, it's a different matter all together.
Do you support Trump defunding the military for the border wall? I am interested to see if you have a one sided view on 'defunding'.
The military received a budget increase, so they had some to spare.

Trump's military budget is enormous, misleading, and ...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/02/trump-military-budget-defense-740-billion-analysis.html
President Donald Trump's $740.5 billion military budget, which he submitted to Congress on Monday, is only a hair larger than the current year's budget, but it is still the largest since World War...

The border wall, and related complimentary security measures, needed to be put into place. Otherwise you get what we have now, essentially an open border, migrants being shipped to the interior to the nation at tax payer expense, without even as much as a summons to appear before immigration court, never to be seen again.
Sending me a link to a theory is hardly any sort of adequate research, fact, or evidence that backs up your point. What you are using is regurgitated statements from media, politicians and assumptions to make your point. IT HAS NO MERIT.

Have you got any evidence to show that minority neighbourhoods disagree with these type of policies? Other than a Wikipedia article.
'The Ferguson effect' is well known. Not my problem that you are so ill-informed about a topic that you claim knowledge about, as to not know about it.
My suggestion is to go educate yourself on this real topic and real response by those minority communities.
Or do you imagine in your theoretical world that those minority communities welcome the marked increase in violent crime that always results from the police pulling back?
What is also clear is far to many people in the US are scared of having a conversation about police funding because some conservatives have turned this into alarmist and inflammatory rhetoric whereby people actually believe in this false narrative.
So still in denial that funding cuts, stripping qualified immunity, vilification and demagoguing of the police have no effect?
Ignoring the cities I listed , with citation BTW, all showing a marked increase in crime rates, especially violent crimes?
I am still unsure why you would not support proactive strategies (ie. mental health support to help prevent crime)?

This doesn't prove your point at all. It just proves that there are "reports" council members are withdrawing their support of a particular policy.

I find it amazing how your manipulate truths to make your point.
Lets make this very clear the officers left not because the police department was defunded but because of the issues surrounding George Floyd.

This is really frustrating because your points are so invalid and you have no evidence to support them.
It is really frustrating that some ignore the citations and reasoning posted, falsely dispelling them with the metaphorical 'wave of the hand', only to push their demanded political narrative.

You are dismissed.

If those don't have detrimental effects, sure. When they do, it's a different matter all together.
I agree, when they do it should be looked into. However, I am yet to be given any sort of evidence to show a correlation between 'defunding the police' and increased crime rates.
The military received a budget increase, so they had some to spare.
A budget increase does not mean they suddenly have money to spare, it is extremely naive to think that.

"The latest funding diversion takes $1.5 billion originally allocated for buying equipment for National Guard and Reserve units, such as trucks, generators and spare parts, as well as fighter jets and ships."

"The Trump administration has notified Congress that it plans to divert $3.8 billion from the Defense Department's budget to build the border wall."

The money was being siphoned from the military budget to pay for a wall that was never endorsed by experts or shown to be effective in any way. Trump believes walls solve the problems....they simply don't.

Otherwise you get what we have now, essentially an open border, migrants being shipped to the interior to the nation at tax payer expense, without even as much as a summons to appear before immigration court, never to be seen again.
Let's make something clear....migrants make up 14% of the US population and likely provide goods and services to you on a daily basis as many other hard working Americans do. I have a more conservative approach on borders and believe there does need to be strict controls on incoming arrivals but.....there also needs to be compassion and respect for the demography of the US. Not disrespect.

I would note....44 percent of the companies on the 2018 Fortune 500 list were founded by immigrants or the children of immigrants.5 Together, these companies in fiscal year 2017 brought in $5.5 trillion in revenue.

5.5 trillion injection into an economy.....IS THAT AT THE TAX PAYERS EXPENSE?
So still in denial that funding cuts, stripping qualified immunity, vilification and demagoguing of the police have no effect?
I haven't been provided any evidence to suggest this.
Ignoring the cities I listed , with citation BTW, all showing a marked increase in crime rates, especially violent crimes?
I will respond to that post soon. It is littered with falsehoods. Your correlations between increased crime rates and 'defunding' the police is non-existent. For example NYC saw no decrease in the funding for their police in the years you specified. How can crime increase from 'defunding' when the 'defunding' didn't even occur?

I smell a false political narrative being written here, with one intention: to disagree with the Democrats even if it sound illogical and irrational.
You are dismissed.
I need some truth telling, not fairytales.

I agree, when they do it should be looked into. However, I am yet to be given any sort of evidence to show a correlation between 'defunding the police' and increased crime rates.
Every city who's local city government has adopted de-fund (or reallocate if you prefer) the police initiatives has seen marked increase in crime rates, particularly violent crimes.

“In Chicago, homicides are up 33% in the first three months of the year compared to 2020, while shootings are up nearly 40% for the same period year-over-year.
In New York City, the NYPD data shows murders jumped by nearly 14% through March 28, the latest numbers the department has made public, while shootings were up nearly 50%,” CNN reports.
“In Los Angeles, homicides have increased nearly 36% from 67 to 91 through March 30,” LAPD officer Rosario Cervantes told CNN.
“Those three cities — the nation’s largest — all saw significant increases last year over 2019. The homicide uptick in the three cities comes as Chicago, Houston, and Memphis saw some of the largest surges in homicides last year, with an increase of 100 or more killings compared to 2019.”
Minneapolis, where the entire de-fund the police movement started?

Police have recorded 532 gunshot victims so far this year, more than double the number reported last year. Carjackings are also up 331% from the same period last year and violent crimes have surpassed 5,100, over 1,000 more than what was reported in 2019. Meanwhile, the number of working police officers has decreased by 143 from the beginning of the year (121 of the department’s 845 force are on leave, some citing PTSD from the unrest that followed Floyd’s death).
Far too much to be a mere coincidence.

(moved up to be grouped with police related topics)
"So still in denial that funding cuts, stripping qualified immunity, vilification and demagoguing of the police have no effect?"
I haven't been provided any evidence to suggest this.

I will respond to that post soon. It is littered with falsehoods. Your correlations between increased crime rates and 'defunding' the police is non-existent. For example NYC saw no decrease in the funding for their police in the years you specified. How can crime increase from 'defunding' when the 'defunding' didn't even occur?

I smell a false political narrative being written here, with one intention: to disagree with the Democrats even if it sound illogical and irrational.
That which you are smelling is coming from you own posts. 🤷‍♂️
That complimented with willful political driven denial.

Back
Top Bottom