• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden invokes Defense Production Act to increase supply of U.S. infant formula

I'm surprised he invoked it. The Abbott plant is likely to reopen soon, which would level out supply levels in about 2 months. The invocation of the DPA to bring in infant formula from overseas I get, but the increase on the manufacturing side is more curious since it will also take time to reach the market.
It's a feel good move.

You know Biden needs a month's warning to make a decision.
:LOL: We both know he's waiting to be told what to announce and not to take any questions because he'll get in trouble with the decision makers if he does.

Babies can't just suck on a nipple?
Most people don't have paid leave, and many of them also cannot afford unpaid time off to breastfeed their kids, I expect.
Also it's my understanding that not every mother can breastfeed, for one reason or another.

When I knew is the wrong question. When did this administration know is the important question?

They have been aware of the problem dating back to nov of last year.

The FDA knew last October when the whistleblower from Abbott reported contamination issues.

On what date and by what source did you know there was a baby formula problem?
I heard Psaki asked about it during the press briefing in February if I remember correctly. Additionally, there have been stories pushed to my phone from WSJ/NYTimes about rationing and shortages for a while. Here's an article from over a month ago.

WSJ April:
Baby-Formula Shortage Prompts Rationing at Target, Kroger, Walgreens and CVS
Stores impose purchase limits after Abbott recall adds to strain on already limited supplies

The biggest U.S. retailers are rationing baby formula as a recall by the maker of Similac and other popular brands exacerbates already-spotty supply in much of the country.

As of Tuesday, Walmart Inc., Target Corp., TGT -5.06%▼ Kroger Co., KR 0.21%▲ CVS Health Corp. CVS -0.94%▼ and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. WBA -0.20%▼ have limited the quantities of many baby formulas that consumers are able to buy online or in some stores.

A Walmart spokeswoman said stores in most states have a five-per-day limit on baby formula at the request of the Food and Drug Administration. CVS said it recently began limiting purchases in stores and online to three per consumer. Walgreens said it implemented limits in stores and online last month. Target declined to comment, and Kroger didn’t respond to requests for comment.

And, two weeks ago the NY Times was calling it an all-out crisis:
The Baby Formula Crisis
The shortage highlights four larger problems with the U.S. economy.

Is my baby getting enough food? It is a typical fear among new parents — and an acute one now, because of a national shortage of baby formula.

NY Times originally from April 6:
America Is Grappling With a Baby Formula Shortage. Here’s How to Navigate It.
Being unable to find formula to feed a child is an especially stressful reality for many parents and caregivers right now.

NY Times from May 8:
‘Please Help’: A Nationwide Baby Formula Shortage Worsens
After Abbott Nutrition issued voluntary recalls of its popular baby formulas, retailers have limited purchases, leaving desperate parents searching for solutions.

NY Times from May 10
A Baby Formula Shortage Leaves Desperate Parents Searching for Food
Some parents are driving hours at a time in search of supplies. Others are watering down formula or rationing it, hoping for an end to the shortage.

Anyone who just learned there was a baby formula shortage this week ("a few days ago") is clearly not getting their news from credible sources. There has been rationing for at least a couple of months now and news reports for weeks about desperate mothers driving for hours trying to find food for their babies despite the rationing.

It's a feel good move.
It's reactionary, which is why it will be criticized as such. The problem itself though, was comprised of more than can be blamed on one president; it's a theme with a lot of issues that are created due to policies that have extended through various administrations. Some problems are created due to issues that were never problems before because they were generally predictable. The pandemic upended a lot of assumptions, which is why I keep repeating the importance of resiliency across products that are critical needs.

"A few days ago." :rolleyes: People have known about these shortages for a while. This isn't new.
Some people aren't as tuned in as the politics-obsessed like us that frequent a forum like this.

Yeah, Steve Scalise (R-LA) urged his fellow lawmakers to vote against the bill purely for political reasons. He argued that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) brought up the bill “in hopes of covering up the administration’s ineptitude by throwing additional money at the FDA with no plan to actually fix the problem, all while failing to hold the FDA accountable.”

Only 12 Republicans voted for the bill. Guess they put babies lives over politics. The rest of the Republicans? Their party is more important.

Pro-life, my a$$.

How much baby formula does a nuclear power plant make?
I was referring to the oil and gas issue, which is just as important.

The baby formula issue would be solved by (a) authorizing Abbott to reopen, and (b) bringing in representatives of all major baby formula manufacturing companies to a public meeting at the White House to get an understanding of how much and how quickly production could be ramped up, and then have the government place direct purchase orders for an emergency supply of baby formula, which can generally be directed to needy parents.

Are we really going to suggest that imported baby formula is safer than baby formula manufactured by Abbott Laboratories in the US? For ****'s sake, the FDA could park one of their "experts" (or a team of "experts") in the Abbott facility and supervise the production.

And, remember, there were 4 cases of bacterial infection that was REPORTED to have stemmed from Abbott baby formula. But, there was no proof. The bacterial infections which occurred in only 4 instances were not linked to the actual production facility, and there are plenty of other sources of bacterial infections. Yet, the plant is still shut down. And, there is no reason given for that to be the case. When will it reopen? We don't know. What is the criteria? No reporter has investigated and reported.

And, frankly, to blame this on "Trump's USMCA trade deal" is about as ****ing stupid as you can be. Who's the mother-effing President of the United States now, and for the last nearly 18 months? If they want baby formula imported from Canada, then the Biden Admin can contact the Canadian government and arrange for any restriction on import to be either temporarily or permanently reduced, and even if the USMCA statute itself is to blame the Administration can act on an emergency basis, AND no Congressperson would vote "no" on a bill that modified the USMCA to reduce the trade barriers that are referred to here. So it is not Trump's fault. This crisis has been going on for a long time now. And, if the Biden administration hasn't reduced the import restrictions, then it's on the Biden administration.

Democrats - stop acting like your party is not in power. Stop acting like Democrats are just powerless do-gooders, hampered at every turn by the ruling Republicans. It's not true. If Democrats wanted baby formula import restrictions reduced, they could do it today - they could have done it yesterday. So, it's your ****ing party's ****ing fault and you all ****ing know it.

Some people aren't as tuned in as the politics-obsessed like us that frequent a forum like this.
Everyone who knows someone with a baby is aware. This is a conversation that is happening at the dinner table within the homes of millions of Americans. The fact that some liberals claim ignorance is not an excuse to let the problem fester for months into a full blown crisis. Anyone who is just learning about this issue "a few days ago" isn't just not "tuned in," they are severely ignorant to the most significant issues facing our country. There are mothers struggling to feed their children in America right now. That's a big deal.

I was referring to the oil and gas issue, which is just as important.

The baby formula issue would be solved by (a) authorizing Abbott to reopen, and (b) bringing in representatives of all major baby formula manufacturing companies to a public meeting at the White House to get an understanding of how much and how quickly production could be ramped up, and then have the government place direct purchase orders for an emergency supply of baby formula, which can generally be directed to needy parents.
It is important, but it's not related to this thread.

Are we really going to suggest that imported baby formula is safer than baby formula manufactured by Abbott Laboratories in the US? For ****'s sake, the FDA could park one of their "experts" (or a team of "experts") in the Abbott facility and supervise the production.

And, remember, there were 4 cases of bacterial infection that was REPORTED to have stemmed from Abbott baby formula. But, there was no proof. The bacterial infections which occurred in only 4 instances were not linked to the actual production facility, and there are plenty of other sources of bacterial infections. Yet, the plant is still shut down. And, there is no reason given for that to be the case. When will it reopen? We don't know. What is the criteria? No reporter has investigated and reported.

And, frankly, to blame this on "Trump's USMCA trade deal" is about as ****ing stupid as you can be. Who's the mother-effing President of the United States now, and for the last nearly 18 months? If they want baby formula imported from Canada, then the Biden Admin can contact the Canadian government and arrange for any restriction on import to be either temporarily or permanently reduced, and even if the USMCA statute itself is to blame the Administration can act on an emergency basis, AND no Congressperson would vote "no" on a bill that modified the USMCA to reduce the trade barriers that are referred to here. So it is not Trump's fault. This crisis has been going on for a long time now. And, if the Biden administration hasn't reduced the import restrictions, then it's on the Biden administration.

Democrats - stop acting like your party is not in power. Stop acting like Democrats are just powerless do-gooders, hampered at every turn by the ruling Republicans. It's not true. If Democrats wanted baby formula import restrictions reduced, they could do it today - they could have done it yesterday. So, it's your ****ing party's ****ing fault and you all ****ing know it.
WOW @MrNiceGuy, what a great post... Thank You...
I can appreciate a man with convictions... You put your heart into that post...
I agree with some of what was said... Read my post...
It is about that rePukelican asshole rick scott, a f****ing attention whore and drama queen...

Oh Well, back to reality:
In order to protect the U.S. dairy farming industry and U.S. formula manufacturers, the tariff on importing baby formula is set at 17.5% for most kinds of infant formula. The recently revamped NAFTA agreement actually raised the cost of importing Canadian formula, discouraging anyone from building a new plant there, and making it costly to import any excess from Canadian factories....

-Peace and thanks again...
Keep hating the lib's, but NEVER hate a fellow American... Those people in Buffalo should be alive...
Many have died for us to be able to agree to disagree... you'll figure it out...

Back
Top Bottom