• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden-Harris Admin would decriminalize marijuana and expunge marijuana use convictions

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This doesn't speak to my personal priorities, but it's important to a good many Americans, and I'm glad to see Harris making it clear that she respects a majority of Americans' wishes on a substance we all know perfectly well not to be harmful on any significant level.

For the record, decriminalization and record expunging (on a Federal level, of course), is what the Executive can do on its own. Based on their position, it's fair to assume they would sign any legislation legalizing marijuana altogether.

Senator Kamala Harris says a Biden-Harris administration would decriminalize marijuana and expunge marijuana use convictions: “This is no time for incrementalism ... there needs to be significant change in the design of the system.”

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1305606924948439040

This doesn't speak to my personal priorities, but it's important to a good many Americans, and I'm glad to see Harris making it clear that she respects a majority of Americans' wishes on a substance we all know perfectly well not to be harmful on any significant level.

For the record, decriminalization and record expunging (on a Federal level, of course), is what the Executive can do on its own. Based on their position, it's fair to assume they would sign any legislation legalizing marijuana altogether.

Excellent news!

I guess they came up with some good ideas hiding in the basement. Maybe Trump should try it.

Decriminalizing the sale of a drug, even weed, to children is moronic. That level of change (simply not enforcing existing laws by EO) makes no sense at all.

Yup, good on them. This issue is politically a slam dunk and the right thing to do. Even a **** eating weasel like Matt Gaetz gets it.

Decriminalizing the sale of a drug, even weed, to children is moronic. That level of change (simply not enforcing existing laws by EO) makes no sense at all.

Where was this proposed? I live in CA, legal weed for two years. Same rules as for drinking. **** are you talking about?

Every time I go into a dispensary my ID is checked and I have a grey beard. Not sure where this is coming from?

Whuh? Who suggested that it would be sold to kids?

Where was this proposed? I live in CA, legal weed for two years. Same rules as for drinking. **** are you talking about?

I am talking about the OP's decriminalization (by EO) of (all federal) marijuana laws idea - not a state law legalizing and regulating marijuana sales to adults.

I am talking about the OP's decriminalization (by EO) of (all federal) marijuana laws idea - not a state law legalizing and regulating marijuana sales to adults.

And is this a thing you’re under the impression will happen? And if it is, I gotta tell ya: weed > booze. All day long.

After she ruined peoples' lives for minor mj convictions in the state of Ca, she decides to see the light...

Btw, legalizing pot should remain a states' issue.

Whuh? Who suggested that it would be sold to kids?

If something is "decriminalized" then why would it's sale/possession (to/by anyone) then be illegal? Peanuts are "decriminalized" thus they may be sold to/possessed by anyone.

Every time I go into a dispensary my ID is checked and I have a grey beard. Not sure where this is coming from?

Is marijuana sold in that dispensary? Your ID is checked because of a law - not the lack of one.

And is this a thing you’re under the impression will happen? And if it is, I gotta tell ya: weed > booze. All day long.

Why not if there was no longer enforcement of (all current) marijuana laws?

Why not if there was no longer enforcement of (all current) marijuana laws?

It is federally illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 21. The same would apply to cannabis should a federal standard for decriminalization be enacted as there is no way any drug legalization could take place on a state level without those safeguards in place.

It is federally illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 21. The same would apply to cannabis should a federal standard for decriminalization be enacted as there is no way any drug legalization could take place on a state level without those safeguards in place.

Yep, thanks to a law - not the lack of one. What you seem to be describing is the selective enforcement of (certain) federal marijuana laws - not decriminalization of marijuana.

Yep, thanks to a law - not the lack of one. What you seem to be describing is the selective enforcement of (certain) federal marijuana laws - not decriminalization of marijuana.

I’m not. You’re mistaken.

Excellent news!

I guess they came up with some good ideas hiding in the basement. Maybe Trump should try it.
Well you know, when you're hanging around in the basement with some friends and blowing a few doobs - you get ideas!

i had been concerned that the tRump campaign would make a surprise move in this direction to peel away votes from democratic leaning young people who are supportive of such decriminalization

After she ruined peoples' lives for minor mj convictions in the state of Ca, she decides to see the light...

Btw, legalizing pot should remain a states' issue.
[emphasis added by bubba]

it's on the end of a joint

i had been concerned that the tRump campaign would make a surprise move in this direction to peel away votes from democratic leaning young people who are supportive of such decriminalization

I totally get this point. He came into office as a legit-pretend populist. It almost seemed like he would take socially progressive stances here and there for some street cred. But nope. On that front, when you cut away how stupid he is, Trump is very much jsut a run of the mill vanilla ass Republican mediocrity when it comes to policy.

That would be demonstrating a component of populism it seemed he would offer back in 2016 but never ended up delivering. I knew he would never go in this direction.

I just..oh my god. He just wanted to argue, right? It wasn’t me?

Yyyup. I wasn't going to allow myself to get pulled into that silliness.

Back
Top Bottom