• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden-Harris Admin would decriminalize marijuana and expunge marijuana use convictions

This doesn't speak to my personal priorities, but it's important to a good many Americans, and I'm glad to see Harris making it clear that she respects a majority of Americans' wishes on a substance we all know perfectly well not to be harmful on any significant level.

For the record, decriminalization and record expunging (on a Federal level, of course), is what the Executive can do on its own. Based on their position, it's fair to assume they would sign any legislation legalizing marijuana altogether.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1305606924948439040

We are voting to legalize MJ in Arizona, it has a 2/3rd approval this time. Its about time.

Make it legal nation wide!

We are voting to legalize MJ in Arizona, it has a 2/3rd approval this time. Its about time.

Make it legal nation wide!

Biden-Harris is taking it a good few steps past the Obama DOJ, which simply never prosecuted Federal marijuana possession charges.

But in order for it to be legal nationally, that requires legislation, and that requires a Democrat House and Senate.

Biden-Harris is taking it a good few steps past the Obama DOJ, which simply never prosecuted Federal marijuana possession charges.

But in order for it to be legal nationally, that requires legislation, and that requires a Democrat House and Senate.

Got that right. I get mine from a friend with a medical card. Fun stuff on weekends and helps me sleep well.

Yyyup. I wasn't going to allow myself to get pulled into that silliness.

There are times I try to assume good faith when one of the regulars does the “just sayin’ asking, but boy oh boy I shoulda seen that one comin.

This doesn't speak to my personal priorities, but it's important to a good many Americans, and I'm glad to see Harris making it clear that she respects a majority of Americans' wishes on a substance we all know perfectly well not to be harmful on any significant level.

For the record, decriminalization and record expunging (on a Federal level, of course), is what the Executive can do on its own. Based on their position, it's fair to assume they would sign any legislation legalizing marijuana altogether.

Nice!

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Decriminalizing the sale of a drug, even weed, to children is moronic. That level of change (simply not enforcing existing laws by EO) makes no sense at all.

Aw darn I was going to open a dispensary at the local day care center :lamo....Liquor has been decriminalized for many years do you think that was moronic too?

i had been concerned that the tRump campaign would make a surprise move in this direction to peel away votes from democratic leaning young people who are supportive of such decriminalization

If there was the slightest hint that it cured CV19, he would have! :lol:

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

If something is "decriminalized" then why would it's sale/possession (to/by anyone) then be illegal? Peanuts are "decriminalized" thus they may be sold to/possessed by anyone.

Federal law does not override State Laws this just means the DEA will no longer be able to bust dispensaries. Use you head.

And it would enable a reasonable application of banking laws to the businesses.

But only if Trump had stock in the company that is.:)

I dunno...he's pretty desperate at this point...that would just be gravy!

Aw darn I was going to open a dispensary at the local day care center :lamo....Liquor has been decriminalized for many years do you think that was moronic too?

Liquor, much like guns, has been legalized and thus taxed and regulated by federal and state/local law. Try opening a bar at the local day care center.

Decriminalizing the sale of a drug, even weed, to children is moronic. That level of change (simply not enforcing existing laws by EO) makes no sense at all.
Why do you assume it would be allowed to be sold to children just because it is decriminalized? You can still make illegal sell of pot a crime and allow legal business owners to set up their own pot selling businesses, like has happened already in many states. Even NC has decriminalized pot.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I am talking about the OP's decriminalization (by EO) of (all federal) marijuana laws idea - not a state law legalizing and regulating marijuana sales to adults.
States have their own laws on pot. Allowing those laws to actually not be overshadowed should be a good thing.

Liquor, much like guns, has been legalized and thus taxed and regulated by federal and state/local law. Try opening a bar at the local day care center.
States have laws regarding marijuana already in place. Some would still keep it illegal. Decriminalizing it on the federal level only affects federal enforcement. It doesnt change state enforcement.

Why do you assume it would be allowed to be sold to children just because it is decriminalized? You can still make illegal sell of pot a crime and allow legal business owners to set up their own pot selling businesses, like has happened already in many states. Even NC has decriminalized pot.

let's call it decriminalization-lite:
Possession of 0.5 ounces or less of marijuana is a Class 3 misdemeanor and a maximum fine of $200. Any sentence of imprisonment imposed for this offense must be suspended. Possession of more than 0.5 to 1.5 ounces is a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by 1 to 45 days imprisonment and a discretionary fine for a first offense, and maximum fine of $1000. Possession of over 1 and a half ounces but less than or equal to 10 pounds is a Class I felony punishable by 3 to 8 months imprisonment and a discretionary fine for a first offense.
North Carolina Laws and Penalties - NORML

it's just a matter of time.

If they decriminalize marijuana, the cartels will lose a lot of business, too. That's always a good thing.

If they decriminalize marijuana, the cartels will lose a lot of business, too. That's always a good thing.

Cartels are a lot more diversified than you think.

First, every single decriminalization or legalization move has been aimed at adults. As far as I know, also tied to the drinking age, which the federal government pressured the states to make 21.

Second, even if someone were to suggest that 'children' (ie, a 17 year old) should be able to purchase it, one could point out that we allow them to buy much more dangerous things that could actually kill them like bleach, tylenol, and RAID. So on balance, it really wouldn't be that shocking. There's just this stigma of if illegal drug then really bad but if legal drug, then fine.

But we don't need to get to #2. Nobody advocating for decriminalization or legalization is taking on the unnecessary burden of trying to convince people not to have age limits.

Cartels are a lot more diversified than you think.

I realize that, but it's a blow, anyway. Recreational marijuana should be legal in every state. If towns or cities want to prohibit selling it, that's their right to decide. Harris's move would be the first step. Smoking dope is like Prohibition was: people are still doing it and it's just making the crooks rich.

Yes, seriously. Giving the executive the power to decide which (if any) laws it will choose to enforce is a bad idea.

How many people under 21 smoke pot? I would venture a guess of millions. That children argument is long dead. Go to any high school if you want to find some.

Back
Top Bottom