• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden gets a bounce after the State of the Union, NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll shows

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
March 4, 202212:00 PM ET
Domenico Montanaro - 2015
DOMENICO MONTANARO

After what's been a bleak several months politically for President Biden, a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist survey finds he is seeing a significant boost in his approval ratings across the board following his State of the Union address and Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"This is an unusual bounce," said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion, which conducted the poll. "It gets him back to where he was pre-Afghanistan."

Here's a look at some of the numbers:

• Overall approval rating jumped to 47%, up 8 points from the NPR poll last month. Presidents don't generally see much, if any bounce, out of a State of the Union address. Since 1978, there had only been six times when a president saw an approval rating improve 4 points or more following State of the Union addresses, according to the pollsters. Three of those bounces were for former President Bill Clinton.
  • Ukraine handling is up 18 points to 52%.
  • Coronavirus pandemic handling is now 55%, up 8 points.
  • Economic handling up 8 points to 45%.
The national survey of 1,322 adults was conducted March 1 and 2 by live callers via mobile phone and landlines, following the State of the Union address. Results were weighted to reflect the demographics of the country, as shown in the U.S. Census' 2019 American Community Survey. It has a margin of error of +/- 3.8 percentage points, meaning results could be almost 4 points lower or higher.

Good.

And the new jobs report will drive up the numbers further. I guess.

Leaving aside wariness of a single poll, I find it hard to believe the State of the Union address caused this. I might believe President Biden is getting some support due to the Republican embrace of Putin over the last five years but I don't think a speech moves the needle that much.

Not too surprised, at least from an independent voter perspective, although I don't think it has much if anything to do with the SOTU.

He started decently strong with COVID and I was fairly satisfied with him a few months in, and the infrastructure bill is popular and makes a ton of sense.

Then, Afghanistan was not handled to the degree I would expect of our nation, and his messaging started getting very wishy-washy on vaccines e.g. publicly jumping ahead of the CDC on booster recommendations. Trying to push BBB through on strictly partisan grounds as one big omnibus bill was also a turn-off for many. "Kamala Harris will head to the border" just isn't a good look for anyone. And he was almost going out of his way avoid being prescriptive about what he would do to combat inflation. So I'm not surprised things took a downturn.

Now, he's handling Ukraine and working well with our NATO allies, we're exiting the pandemic for all practical purposes, and the economy is still absolutely red hot: if you can't find a job, then you need to be introspecting about why. That's not a bad place to me. So I would expect an upswing.

I’m not surprised by the jump Biden did a lot better in that speech than anyone thought he could. It was impressive to see him pull it off. In a few weeks the real test will be once the Rah Rah Rah has faded Biden has given us a few more verbal fumbles, gas closes in on $4 and prices increase across the board as a result, will this increase hold or will it fade and Biden become a liability in the midterms. Memorial Day cookouts will be the first real test for 2022 and set the tone for the summer.

Just one poll and we will see how it goes. I do think his handling of the Russian situation is resonating with most Americans and the SOTU addressed and solidified that. In many ways it was a great speech directed sincerely to the American people and I think it resonated. We will see if it lasts.

I’m not surprised by the jump Biden did a lot better in that speech than anyone thought he could. It was impressive to see him pull it off. In a few weeks the real test will be once the Rah Rah Rah has faded Biden has given us a few more verbal fumbles, gas closes in on $4 and prices increase across the board as a result, will this increase hold or will it fade and Biden become a liability in the midterms. Memorial Day cookouts will be the first real test for 2022 and set the tone for the summer.
Biden would do well to start explaining to the country what this conflict means in terms of domestic effects now.

It won't last.

At the end of the day, prices of stuff is still skyrocketing, he still won't divest the US from Russian oil and he's refused to support a No Fly Zone in Ukraine.

Leaving aside wariness of a single poll, I find it hard to believe the State of the Union address caused this. I might believe President Biden is getting some support due to the Republican embrace of Putin over the last five years but I don't think a speech moves the needle that much.
It's Ukraine.

Biden would do well to start explaining to the country what this conflict means in terms of domestic effects now.
Yes people need to understand there will be economic and inflationary blowback. Of course it won't matter to many the reasons.....' cause Biden must be seen as the only problem.

Where is the Trump politboro to complain?

DOMENICO MONTANARO

After what's been a bleak several months politically for President Biden, a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist survey finds he is seeing a significant boost in his approval ratings across the board following his State of the Union address and Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"This is an unusual bounce," said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion, which conducted the poll. "It gets him back to where he was pre-Afghanistan."

• Overall approval rating jumped to 47%, up 8 points from the NPR poll last month. Presidents don't generally see much, if any bounce, out of a State of the Union address. Since 1978, there had only been six times when a president saw an approval rating improve 4 points or more following State of the Union addresses, according to the pollsters. Three of those bounces were for former President Bill Clinton.
The national survey of 1,322 adults was conducted March 1 and 2 by live callers via mobile phone and landlines, following the State of the Union address. Results were weighted to reflect the demographics of the country, as shown in the U.S. Census' 2019 American Community Survey. It has a margin of error of +/- 3.8 percentage points, meaning results could be almost 4 points lower or higher.

Good.

uh oh... this is NOT GOOD. Definitely not good

for trumptards

DOMENICO MONTANARO

Good.

Had little, if anything, to do with the state of the union address. People tend to be more supportive of the president during times of global conflict.

It's also one poll

It won't last.

At the end of the day, prices of stuff is still skyrocketing, he still won't divest the US from Russian oil and he's refused to support a No Fly Zone in Ukraine.
Slow down! He's not divesting from Russian oil to keep our gas/heating oil prices from going through the roof. Gas here jumped 30 cents in 2 days, and that's without divestment.

A no-fly zone is an announcement of war, because Ukraine can't enforce it; someone else will have to, and Russia will challenge it. You know this. I don't think we're ready for all out war, yet.

DOMENICO MONTANARO

Good.

Riding high with Biden! Good for America!

Since Biden is being praised all around the world (but not on Fox, OAN, or TASS) for his pulling the NATO alliance back from the deep division and mistrust Trump generated, it’s not too surprising.

People seem to be reacting to the fact that the US now has a real world leader instead of a circus clown.

The problem with democrats is they put their head down and do the job. They aren't constantly bragging about their accomplishments. When they do get the word out it shows.

Now the right wing media on the other hand has a constant barrage of negative propaganda aimed at Biden 24/7.

Right wing propaganda is very effective

The problem with democrats is they put their head down and do the job. They aren't constantly bragging about their accomplishments. When they do get the word out it shows.

Now the right wing media on the other hand has a constant barrage of negative propaganda aimed at Biden 24/7.

Right wing propaganda is very effective
That is far from reality.

Usually doesn't the President take this time to speak of their accomplishments? Not surprising that he bragged of nothing!

It won't last.

Most Americans don't support any of that anyway.

Back
Top Bottom