• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden gets a bounce after the State of the Union, NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll shows

That is far from reality.
It's actually pretty close to reality. Democrats will put their heads down and at least create a health care plan. It may have issues, it may be imperfect, but they'll offer something. Republicans will simply criticize but offer little of their own ideas. Ditto infrastructure. Ditto poverty. Ditto discrimination.

It would be nice to see a Republican policy position more robust than "ban abortion, agree with Trump and own the liberals" but that appears to be the extent of what we get these days.

It's hard to vote R these days because I can't figure out what most of them stand for. I only can tell what they stand against... namely, any position of any kind that any D makes on any topic.

It's actually pretty close to reality. Democrats will put their heads down and at least create a health care plan. It may have issues, it may be imperfect, but they'll offer something. Republicans will simply criticize but offer little of their own ideas. Ditto infrastructure. Ditto poverty. Ditto discrimination.

It would be nice to see a Republican policy position more robust than "ban abortion, agree with Trump and own the liberals" but that appears to be the extent of what we get these days.

It's hard to vote R these days because I can't figure out what most of them stand for. I only can tell what they stand against... namely, any position of any kind that any D makes on any topic.
Democrats will frequently throw out a 'plan' that isn't realistic, and they know won't have a chance of passing. Then they refuse to work on a compromise, or try to come to a more realistic plan. They'll claim credit for things they don't do, or for addressing things that weren't really issues. More spinning the wheels for show than any substantive action.

The statements on Republicans aren't true - it's talking points.

Democrats will frequently throw out a 'plan' that isn't realistic, and they know won't have a chance of passing. Then they refuse to work on a compromise, or try to come to a more realistic plan. They'll claim credit for things they don't do, or for addressing things that weren't really issues. More spinning the wheels for show than any substantive action.

The statements on Republicans aren't true - it's talking points.
Great. I'd love to read the comprehensive health care plan that Republicans are offering. Care to post a link? Ideally, something more involved than the "repeal and replace" slogan?

It won't last.

At the end of the day, prices of stuff is still skyrocketing, he still won't divest the US from Russian oil and he's refused to support a No Fly Zone in Ukraine.
Are you willing to pay the higher prices to give a huge f u to Putin? I'm good with it...just asking if you're on board?

Leaving aside wariness of a single poll, I find it hard to believe the State of the Union address caused this. I might believe President Biden is getting some support due to the Republican embrace of Putin over the last five years but I don't think a speech moves the needle that much.

I have to agree with you.

One speech won't move approval as much as it has moved.

It was a very good speech though. I was impressed by it.

I will say, Biden was my second to last choice for president. I honestly didn't expect much from him except for beating the virus and hopefully bringing the nation closer together but basically just be the person who removed trump from the White House until we can get a better president in it.

I voted for who I wanted to be president in the primary. I held my nose and voted for Biden in the general election to save our nation from a madman and to give everyone a chance for a future.

I will concede now, I was wrong about Biden.

He has risen to the job. He has quickly grown into a good president. He has actually gotten me to like him. I wasn't a fan except that he wasn't trump.

What has changed is the virus is not as bad. Our people are going back to work. Children are going back to school. We are taking off masks and there aren't any lockdowns. We are getting back to some sort of normal.

Add in that Biden has done a better than fantastic job to unite this nation and the world around Ukraine. He has done an even better job of uniting the world than the bush boy did. The bush boy was never able to get Switzerland stop their centuries long neutral stance.

Biden was.

Same with Sweden and Finland.

Biden has brought together most of the world to support and help Ukraine.

Meanwhile trump, right wing news and their followers have been cheering for putin and bashing America and the rest of the world for supporting Ukraine.

tucker carlson has now switched positions but is blaming him supporting putin for so long on Biden and Harris.

He's now saying that Biden and Harris made him support putin all this time.

LOL. It's so pathetic.

Last edited:
Are you willing to pay the higher prices to give a huge f u to Putin? I'm good with it...just asking if you're on board?
I too would like to know what @Roadvirus is willing to give up, at Joe Biden's behest, in order curtail Russian ambitions.

Usually doesn't the President take this time to speak of their accomplishments? Not surprising that he bragged of nothing!
This may be hard for you to believe but sometimes presidents are busy working. I realize the last bragger spent all his time tweeting though.

Maybe at some point in the future we can get another spoiled rich kid whose papa gave him tons of money why he screwed around on a bunch of his wives and bragged about everything in the world while cheating people out of money. That seems to be the perfect Republican presidential candidate now.

It won't last.

At the end of the day, prices of stuff is still skyrocketing, he still won't divest the US from Russian oil and he's refused to support a No Fly Zone in Ukraine.

Then don't complain about high gas prices.

I have to agree with you.

One speech won't move approval as much as it has moved.

It was a very good speech though. I was impressed by it.

I will say, Biden was my second to last choice for president. I honestly didn't expect much from him except for beating the virus and hopefully bringing the nation closer together but basically just be the person who removed trump from the White House until we can get a better president in it.

I voted for who I wanted to be president in the primary. I held my nose and voted for Biden in the general election to save our nation from a madman and to give everyone a chance for a future.

I will concede now, I was wrong about Biden.

He has risen to the job. He has quickly grown into a good president. He has actually gotten me to like him. I wasn't a fan except that he wasn't trump.

What has changed is the virus is not as bad. Our people are going back to work. Children are going back to school. We are taking off masks and there aren't any lockdowns. We are getting back to some sort of normal.

Add in that Biden has done a better than fantastic job to unite this nation and the world around Ukraine. He has done an even better job of uniting the world than the bush boy did. The bush boy was never able to get Switzerland stop their centuries long neutral stance.

Biden was.

Same with Sweden and Finland.

Meanwhile trump, right wing news and their followers have been cheering for putin and bashing America and the rest of the world for supporting Ukraine.

tucker Carlson has now switched positions but is blaming him supporting putin for so long on Biden and Harris.

He's now saying that Biden and Harris made him support putin all this time.

LOL. It's so pathetic.

But not the deplorables! If Biden did it it is bad!

Democrats will put their heads down and at least create a health care plan. It may have issues, it may be imperfect, but they'll offer something. Republicans will simply criticize but offer little of their own ideas.
You guys can never seem to make up your minds on whether Obamacare was your idea or a Republican idea that din't get support because Obama is black. 😂 😂 😂

March 4, 202212:00 PM ET
Domenico Montanaro - 2015
DOMENICO MONTANARO

After what's been a bleak several months politically for President Biden, a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist survey finds he is seeing a significant boost in his approval ratings across the board following his State of the Union address and Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"This is an unusual bounce," said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion, which conducted the poll. "It gets him back to where he was pre-Afghanistan."

Here's a look at some of the numbers:

• Overall approval rating jumped to 47%, up 8 points from the NPR poll last month. Presidents don't generally see much, if any bounce, out of a State of the Union address. Since 1978, there had only been six times when a president saw an approval rating improve 4 points or more following State of the Union addresses, according to the pollsters. Three of those bounces were for former President Bill Clinton.
  • Ukraine handling is up 18 points to 52%.
  • Coronavirus pandemic handling is now 55%, up 8 points.
  • Economic handling up 8 points to 45%.
The national survey of 1,322 adults was conducted March 1 and 2 by live callers via mobile phone and landlines, following the State of the Union address. Results were weighted to reflect the demographics of the country, as shown in the U.S. Census' 2019 American Community Survey. It has a margin of error of +/- 3.8 percentage points, meaning results could be almost 4 points lower or higher.

Good.

And the new jobs report will drive up the numbers further. I guess.
According to the poll, only 39% of independents approve of his job. If Bidens numbers went up its because democrats liked what they heard, not anyone else.

It won't last.

Enforcement of no-fly zones is not a light switch, and neither is divesting from Russian oil...these things take time.

Leaving aside wariness of a single poll, I find it hard to believe the State of the Union address caused this. I might believe President Biden is getting some support due to the Republican embrace of Putin over the last five years but I don't think a speech moves the needle that much.
Here is why I think the speech helped. For too long now, so many people have been programmed into believing he has dementia. That's all RW media talks about. Perhaps his speech confirmed to people that he really is in charge. Although I never doubted it.

Biden would do well to start explaining to the country what this conflict means in terms of domestic effects now.
He is in a no win situation. If he comes out saying expect harder times and more expensive goods it hurts his the economy is doing good narrative. Plus those ads will write themselves come election time, with republicans saying without a doubt you’re not better under Biden even he says so. If he holds fast to the economy is good and things are not that bad narrative he will appear out of touch with families who are feeling the struggles more each week. The time to start preparing the public for tougher times was last year instead of blowing smoke saying inflation is not coming

DOMENICO MONTANARO

After what's been a bleak several months politically for President Biden, a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist survey finds he is seeing a significant boost in his approval ratings across the board following his State of the Union address and Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"This is an unusual bounce," said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion, which conducted the poll. "It gets him back to where he was pre-Afghanistan."

• Overall approval rating jumped to 47%, up 8 points from the NPR poll last month. Presidents don't generally see much, if any bounce, out of a State of the Union address. Since 1978, there had only been six times when a president saw an approval rating improve 4 points or more following State of the Union addresses, according to the pollsters. Three of those bounces were for former President Bill Clinton.
The national survey of 1,322 adults was conducted March 1 and 2 by live callers via mobile phone and landlines, following the State of the Union address. Results were weighted to reflect the demographics of the country, as shown in the U.S. Census' 2019 American Community Survey. It has a margin of error of +/- 3.8 percentage points, meaning results could be almost 4 points lower or higher.

Good.

So his Aproval rating was 39% ? That should have been the main point !
Did you not see the SOTU address?
I think most Americans are worried after seeing Biden talk.
to Biden talk !

Here is why I think the speech helped. For too long now, so many people have been programmed into believing he has dementia. That's all RW media talks about. Perhaps his speech confirmed to people that he really is in charge. Although I never doubted it.

I assumed that was all very online rightwing bullshit. You think real people believed that nonsense?

You guys can never seem to make up your minds on whether Obamacare was your idea or a Republican idea that din't get support because Obama is black. 😂 😂 😂

If the GOP had its way, 30 million fewer Americans would have coverage right now and a COVID infection would be a pre-existing condition.

DOMENICO MONTANARO

Good.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Wait until real polls, not ultra leftist biased polls like NPR. HAHAHAHA!!! No one watched the stupid thing anyways. Because they polled mainly far leftist people, and mostly Democrats, of course their fake poll is up. LOL!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Wait until real polls, not ultra leftist biased polls like NPR. HAHAHAHA!!!
No one watched the stupid thing anyways.
Because they polled mainly far leftist people, and mostly Democrats,
of course their fake poll is up. LOL!
rePuke tears taste
sooooooooo goooooood...
-peace
giphy.gif

8 % is larger than normal. Usually it's like a 4 to 5% bounce.

See if it lasts

Back
Top Bottom