• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Condemns Military Coup in Burma

AmNat

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

"The military's seizure of power in Burma, the detention of Aung San Suu Kyi and other civilian officials, and the declaration of a national state of emergency are a direct assault on the country's transition to democracy and the rule of law," the president said in a statement.

Looks like the Burmese have taken their country back. Hopefully they expel the State Department and its appendages forthwith.

The arrests of NLD leaders came as the civilian government was set to open the first parliamentary session Monday following the party's majority victory in the November elections.

The military has criticized the elections as fraudulent, a charge rejected by the country's election commission. The elections were viewed as a hard-won victory for Burma's transition to democracy after decades of military rule.

A coup over unsubstantiated allegations of election fraud, eh?

A military coup and deposing the government is the Burmese "Taking their country back".

Blimey...

Oh wait...

It would be good for the country if Trump conducted a self-coup, unfortunately there's no possible way for that to happen.

AmNat said:
I would fully support a Trumptatorship. I've said this many times.

Defending trump's actions, is supporting the end of our system of checks and balances, and having a king. Republicans support that? They are.

I would support such a move, not that it'll happen for the foreseeable future.

Looks like the Burmese have taken their country back. Hopefully they expel the State Department and its appendages forthwith.

The Burmese military is a bunch of two bit thugs. But I’m not surprised a faux “nationalist” would call for them to go after the United States.

A military coup and deposing the government is the Burmese "Taking their country back".
Indeed. For the last few years Burma has been governed by a Washington puppet. Now it will be governed by Burmese.

I'm not familiar with the country so I don't know whether self-government will be good or bad for the Burmese people, but I'm always glad to see Washington (which is manifestly bad for the American people) lose an outpost. One wonders whether this image might have inspired the generals to doubt USG's omnipotence.
The Burmese military is a bunch of two bit thugs. But I’m not surprised a faux “nationalist” would call for them to go after the United States.
I'm sure Burma's newfound independence really ticks you off.

Indeed. For the last few years Burma has been governed by a Washington puppet. Now it will be governed by Burmese.

I'm not familiar with the country so I don't know whether self-government will be good or bad for the Burmese people, but I'm always glad to see Washington (which is manifestly bad for the American people) lose an outpost. One wonders whether this image might have inspired the generals to doubt USG's omnipotence.

Claiming that Burma had been governed by a “Washington puppet” is laughable. A “Washington puppet” would not have undertaken the brutal repression of the Rohingya, to name just one example.

Burma has had “self government“ for well over fifty years. Claiming that it has “newfound independence“ is incredibly dumb.

But hey, way to expose yourself as the anti American fascist you really are.

Claiming that Burma had been governed by a “Washington puppet” is laughable. A “Washington puppet” would not have undertaken the brutal repression of the Rohingya, to name just one example.
It's true that her control over the Burmese government was always doubtful, and she often chose to run cover for it. In hindsight, trying to straddle the line between pleasing her supporters in Washington and her enemies in Naypyidaw wasn't the smartest course of action. She probably realizes that now.

Trump’s insurrection helped inspire the Burmese military dictators to throw out these fair elections.

Trump’s actions have led to Iran being “weeks away” from being able to build the bomb.

RT loves to show reich-wing factions across Europe protest Covid restrictions.

It's true that her control over the Burmese government was always doubtful, and she often chose to run cover for it. In hindsight, trying to straddle the line between pleasing her supporters in Washington and her enemies in Naypyidaw wasn't the smartest course of action. She probably realizes that now.

Her mistake of allowing fascist thugs freedom instead of imprisoning or executing them was rather blatant.

The Burmese didn't take the country....the military junta did.

When you’re a Trumpster, you think it’s the same. Just ask the OP.

So, you're a big fan of dictatorships, then?

If he’s the same guy who goes by a similar name on another forum, yes.

I’m confused, you either are familiar with Myanmar or you are not?

Her mistake of allowing fascist thugs freedom instead of imprisoning or executing them was rather blatant.
Yep. Progress requires blood in all but the most prosperous countries. Her failure to understand that has cost her
If he’s the same guy who goes by a similar name on another forum, yes.
This is the only website on which I use this name.
I’m confused, you either are familiar with Myanmar or you are not?
I know that it was ruled by a military junta until within the last decade, and that Suu Kyi was installed under pressure from Washington (pressure which had, for a long time, been inefficacious). I don't know which regime is substantively better for Burma.

Yep. Progress requires blood in all but the most prosperous countries. Her failure to understand that has cost her

This is the only website on which I use this name.

I know that it was ruled by a military junta until within the last decade, and that Suu Kyi was installed under pressure from Washington (pressure which had, for a long time, been inefficacious). I don't know which regime is substantively better for Burma.

Fascist thugs can’t be reasoned with or tolerated.....only stamped out. Her failure to understand that did cost her.

Fascist thugs can’t be reasoned with or tolerated.....only stamped out. Her failure to understand that did cost her.

This. You gotta smack them with bricks until all the fascism leaks out.

There's that good old progressive bloodlust.

Anyway, you shouldn't get to upset about Burma's liberation. Lots of countries have security forces that are ideologically non-compliant. As USG's hegemonic power wanes, more of them will decide to break free.

hey. look at the bright side.

these last months have shown us which Americans are against democracy and open elections (both here and abroad).

that's REALLY important.

Back
Top Bottom