• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden calls house gop neanderthals

Campbell

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Speaking at a reception at his official residence in Washington to mark the 19th anniversary of the law’s passage, Mr. Biden told guests he was “stunned” that House Republicans put up a months-long battle over reauthorizing the "violence against women" law earlier this year. The GOP had reservations about new protections for Indians, gays and others.

Warning the audience that he was “going to say something outrageous,” Mr. Biden said the legislation was stalled by “this Neanderthal crowd” in the House.

“I think I understand the Senate better than any man or women who’s ever served in there, and I think I understand the House,” he said. “I was surprised this last time. … The idea we still had to fight? We had to fight to reauthorize?”

Mr. Biden championed the original law when he was a senator from Delaware. He when said he started writing the law in the early 1990s, “I didn’t ask for staff help, I didn’t ask for any help, I was so God darn — gosh darn mad.”

Not to worry.....most of the women already vote Democrat....even some of the Republican women.

what a clown.

I think laws restricting violence against people is sufficient.

Have we ever had a bigger moron as vp though?

Speaking at a reception at his official residence in Washington to mark the 19th anniversary of the law’s passage, Mr. Biden told guests he was “stunned” that House Republicans put up a months-long battle over reauthorizing the "violence against women" law earlier this year. The GOP had reservations about new protections for Indians, gays and others.

Warning the audience that he was “going to say something outrageous,” Mr. Biden said the legislation was stalled by “this Neanderthal crowd” in the House.

“I think I understand the Senate better than any man or women who’s ever served in there, and I think I understand the House,” he said. “I was surprised this last time. … The idea we still had to fight? We had to fight to reauthorize?”

Mr. Biden championed the original law when he was a senator from Delaware. He when said he started writing the law in the early 1990s, “I didn’t ask for staff help, I didn’t ask for any help, I was so God darn — gosh darn mad.”

Not to worry.....most of the women already vote Democrat....even some of the Republican women.

Interesting signature. That must be a really small church you attend.

I don't know what the Violence Against Women act entails. But I know I don't support it being some kind of separate crime to assault a woman as compared to assaulting a man. This (and probably others) legislation is just one more carefully crafted Democratic propaganda to denigrate their opposition.

Oh, and Joe Biden as well as other Democrats engaging in this cheap shot mentality should be ashamed of themselves. "If you oppose us, you are evil." Give me a freakin' break.

Interesting signature. That must be a really small church you attend.

I'm agnostic.....I don't know and you don't either. One thing I do know. If there's anything out there all of us will be treated equally and not just one bunch of egotistical ass holes floating on gossamer wings while the rest of us burn on an eternal rotisserie because we disagree with them.

Actually, if ProgLib dinosaurs took the time to understand the opposition Republicans had to the Progs use of abused women to make political waves, they'd look less foolish. Not to worry, that's an impossible task.

Oh well, always fun to watch the manipulated pretend to have original thought

Vice Buffoon.

I'm agnostic.....I don't know and you don't either. One thing I do know. If there's anything out there all of us will be treated equally and not just one bunch of egotistical ass holes floating on gossamer wings while the rest of us burn on an eternal rotisserie because we disagree with them.

I assume you have that quote in your sig because you agree with it. You believe your mind is amazing enough that you belong to it's "church" yet accuse others of being egotistical?

“I think I understand the Senate better than any man or women who’s ever served in there....

Seriously....???? This guys has stones.... not much intelligence... but stones. A Heartbeat away from the presidency.... scary stuff.

Alternative headline. "Idiot uses Neanderthal in a Sentence."

I don't know what the Violence Against Women act entails.
wikipedia

The Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (VAWA) is a United States federal law (Title IV, sec. 40001-40703 of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, H.R. 3355) signed as Pub.L. 103–322 by President Bill Clinton on September 13, 1994. The Act provides $1.6 billion toward investigation and prosecution of violent crimes against women, imposes automatic and mandatory restitution on those convicted, and allows civil redress in cases prosecutors chose to leave unprosecuted. The Act also establishes the Office on Violence Against Women within the Department of Justice. Its coverage extends to male victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.[1]

As with most things in Congress, one side delays a bill for political benefit, not because they don't agree with the bill or not because one side disagrees with it's re-authorization. Both sides do this.

Uncle Joe woke up on the partisan side of the bed and was mad that Republicans were using this bill to play politics. His "foot in mouth disease" is well known.

wikipedia

The Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (VAWA) is a United States federal law (Title IV, sec. 40001-40703 of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, H.R. 3355) signed as Pub.L. 103–322 by President Bill Clinton on September 13, 1994. The Act provides $1.6 billion toward investigation and prosecution of violent crimes against women, imposes automatic and mandatory restitution on those convicted, and allows civil redress in cases prosecutors chose to leave unprosecuted. The Act also establishes the Office on Violence Against Women within the Department of Justice. Its coverage extends to male victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.[1]

Why is the Federal government involved in this in the first place? Why are my tax dollars being spent at the Federal level on a program for which no Federal law has been broken? If Illinois needs a program like this, let Illinois taxpayers fund it. We're so messed up.

I really don't care what Biden says, but I remember when Obama made a great show of concern for angry language of the TEA party, etc., yet I imagine he'll have as much to say about this as he did when the New Black Panthers made threats of retaliatory violence against George Zimmerman.

I would "like" this more times if I could.

May end up in somebodys sig!

I don't think it is fair to call all house republicans Neanderthals.

Some of them are australopithecines.

Why is the Federal government involved in this in the first place? Why are my tax dollars being spent at the Federal level on a program for which no Federal law has been broken? If Illinois needs a program like this, let Illinois taxpayers fund it. We're so messed up.

Yes your state level is so messed up, that is why the feds have to step in.. time and time again. The fact that this law was needed shows that at state level there was problems getting domestic violence prosecuted let alone investigated.

So Biden was 100% correct.. the GOP are morons and cave men when it comes to womens issues... and that comes from the conservative (brain-dead) ways and the pressure from the religious right who dont like having women as equals.

Because it is basically one of those spending bills with a name that makes the simpletons believe that it actually does something other than just spend more money and illicit support from groups by thinking they are doing something. A lot of our laws are redundant.

The problem with The Violence Against Women Act starts with its fancy definitions of what defines violence. The definition is so wide you could drive a semi through it. But like every law passed, the consequences of it are seen years later. And now we are discovering that millions of Americans have their fundamental civil liberties overruled by this law. The constitutional guarantees of due process, probable cause for arrest, right to a fair trial, and equal treatment under the law. The irony in Joe Biden's involvement in writing the Violence Against Women Act is he was once a professor of constitutional law. The same irony he shares with President Obama who has proved time and time again his lack of respect for our rights provided in the Constitution

Yes your state level is so messed up, that is why the feds have to step in.. time and time again. The fact that this law was needed shows that at state level there was problems getting domestic violence prosecuted let alone investigated.

So Biden was 100% correct.. the GOP are morons and cave men when it comes to womens issues... and that comes from the conservative (brain-dead) ways and the pressure from the religious right who dont like having women as equals.

You made one huge irrevocable mistake in your post. You assume the law was needed. Reboot and try again.

Why wasn't Biden included in sequestration?

Yet another pander to the base bill useful for slinging more borrowed federal cash to "special" programs in "special" areas to help "special" people. Very little of this nonsense is even at the federal law level.

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is a landmark piece of legislation that sought to improve criminal justice and community-based responses to domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking in the United States. The passage of VAWA in 1994, and its reauthorization in 2000 and 2005, has changed the landscape for victims who once suffered in silence. Victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking have been able to access services, and a new generation of families and justice system professionals has come to understand that domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking are crimes that our society will not tolerate. VAWA is currently scheduled for reauthorization in 2010. Hearings and briefings were underway in mid-2009 for the reauthorization effort which falls under Commerce, Justice and Science, and Labor, Health and Human Services and Education committees.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) « National Domestic Violence Hotline

Back
Top Bottom