• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden calls house gop neanderthals

You made one huge irrevocable mistake in your post. You assume the law was needed. Reboot and try again.

It was no mistake at all.. it was needed in certain states and that is the point. It is no different than civil rights.. sure the liberal states had civil rights for blacks, but the southern racist states did not..hence the feds forced it.

It was no mistake at all.. it was needed in certain states and that is the point. It is no different than civil rights.. sure the liberal states had civil rights for blacks, but the southern racist states did not..hence the feds forced it.

What certain states are those? Explain the necessity of this boondoggle piece of legislation. Where is it needed? Exactly what does it do? And why would you vote for it? (If you don't know what it does, then you have no reason to endorse it.)

it was never needed. laws already exist to punish violent acts.

What certain states are those? Explain the necessity of this boondoggle piece of legislation. Where is it needed? Exactly what does it do? And why would you vote for it? (If you don't know what it does, then you have no reason to endorse it.)

The usual suspects of course... aka name your red state because it would involve religious wackos.

Listen I dont know the motivation behind the legislation, but something must have happened some where in the US for the politicians in Washington to take it up. Like it or not domestic violence and rape of women has in many countries including the US been a taboo subject to say the least and the amount of convictions have only gone up since countries started to implement specific legislation on the matter. And is that not a good thing?

And it is not the first time the GOP has blocked such laws/treaties.. like the Convention of the rights of a child. The GOP has a history of not backing laws and treaties that protect people.. I mean what is wrong with having a law that specifically targets domestic violence and rape? Are the GOP for domestic violence and rape..? That is what they are saying by not backing this...

it was never needed. laws already exist to punish violent acts.

Until some judge states that raping your wife is legal because it is the duty of the wife to provide sex.. and dont tell me that some southern religious judge would not do it..

I mean what is wrong with having a law that specifically targets domestic violence and rape? Are the GOP for domestic violence and rape..? That is what they are saying by not backing this...

[Insert massive eyeroll here.]

Until some judge states that raping your wife is legal because it is the duty of the wife to provide sex.. and dont tell me that some southern religious judge would not do it..

I would love to see you find an example of that in the US in the last 50 years.

please cite some evidence of this happening during the time this legislation was enacted

[Insert massive eyeroll here.]

I think I'm going to submit a bill tomorrow that will simply funnel money into my brother-in-law's company, but it's going to be called the "Equal Protection for Orphans Act." If Biden doesn't support it, then democrats must hate orphans and are evil little trolls! It's absolutely necessary that we protect the orphans!

Speaking at a reception at his official residence in Washington to mark the 19th anniversary of the law’s passage, Mr. Biden told guests he was “stunned” that House Republicans put up a months-long battle over reauthorizing the "violence against women" law earlier this year. The GOP had reservations about new protections for Indians, gays and others.

Warning the audience that he was “going to say something outrageous,” Mr. Biden said the legislation was stalled by “this Neanderthal crowd” in the House.

“I think I understand the Senate better than any man or women who’s ever served in there, and I think I understand the House,” he said. “I was surprised this last time. … The idea we still had to fight? We had to fight to reauthorize?”

Mr. Biden championed the original law when he was a senator from Delaware. He when said he started writing the law in the early 1990s, “I didn’t ask for staff help, I didn’t ask for any help, I was so God darn — gosh darn mad.”

Not to worry.....most of the women already vote Democrat....even some of the Republican women.

this is totally unwarranted and unacceptable insult to ....Neanderthals. Neanderthals were industrious environmentally harden people who managed to survive for eons in a harsh environment just with the mere of their skills and wits. Republicans in Congress are mere shadows and subhumans who out of spite and purely for the sake of party politics are willing to burn and destroy ever fabric of American life just to make a political point. Nature has yet to conceive something has horrifying and mind-numbingly ignorant as a republican or tea bagger congressman or woman!

Diving Mullah

Speaking at a reception at his official residence in Washington to mark the 19th anniversary of the law’s passage, Mr. Biden told guests he was “stunned” that House Republicans put up a months-long battle over reauthorizing the "violence against women" law earlier this year. The GOP had reservations about new protections for Indians, gays and others.

Warning the audience that he was “going to say something outrageous,” Mr. Biden said the legislation was stalled by “this Neanderthal crowd” in the House.

“I think I understand the Senate better than any man or women who’s ever served in there, and I think I understand the House,” he said. “I was surprised this last time. … The idea we still had to fight? We had to fight to reauthorize?”

Mr. Biden championed the original law when he was a senator from Delaware. He when said he started writing the law in the early 1990s, “I didn’t ask for staff help, I didn’t ask for any help, I was so God darn — gosh darn mad.”

Not to worry.....most of the women already vote Democrat....even some of the Republican women.
Dear widdoe Joey - pwease - shut up.

what a clown.

I think laws restricting violence against people is sufficient.

Have we ever had a bigger moron as vp though?

They should immediately prosecute Biden for breaking the Official Secrets Act.

Yes your state level is so messed up, that is why the feds have to step in.. time and time again. The fact that this law was needed shows that at state level there was problems getting domestic violence prosecuted let alone investigated.

So Biden was 100% correct.. the GOP are morons and cave men when it comes to womens issues... and that comes from the conservative (brain-dead) ways and the pressure from the religious right who dont like having women as equals.

This is an interesting debate. Did a little research and found that the Supreme Court found that the feds actually can't step in (in other words, people can't sue in a federal court under this law) due to the commerce clause and the 14th amendment. United States v. Morrison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it seems like it is an act that can only allocate grants and other monies. (correct me if I'm wrong...maybe there's another version that is constitutional which can be used in federal court?)

Generally, this lady's opinion seems to be spot on, Reasons to Oppose the So-Called Violence Against Women Act | FreedomWorks

Also, it seems to hand out these grants to a variety of programs that don't in fact stop violence against women specifically....so shouldn't it be called the domestic violence act or something? Probably, but then you couldn't smear your political opponent for trying to get rid of or limit the funding for a redundant federal program that accomplishes very little under the guise of being against women's rights.

At least Biden has a career outside of politics.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379115549103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379115549103.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 50
Reid fund-raising against McConnell equals Frist fund-raising against Daeschle.
Will McCoonnell take it personal and continue to his filibustering part of wrecking the economy?

Biden is 0bama's biggest insurance policy against impeachment. NO ONE wants this ultra-arrogant douche as president.

Biden and your opinion means so much to me.

I don't know what the Violence Against Women act entails. But I know I don't support it being some kind of separate crime to assault a woman as compared to assaulting a man. This (and probably others) legislation is just one more carefully crafted Democratic propaganda to denigrate their opposition.

Oh, and Joe Biden as well as other Democrats engaging in this cheap shot mentality should be ashamed of themselves. "If you oppose us, you are evil." Give me a freakin' break.

I also cannot claim to know what is in this act, but I have to concur with your conclusion.

It's easy enough to give a proposed law some benign-sounding name, and then, to accuse any who oppose it of maliciously opposing whatever evil the name suggests that the bill is intended to fight.

If this “Violence Against Women Act” truly addressed only violence against women, in a reasonable, uncontroversial manner, then it is a safe bet that the majority of Congressman and Senators would fully support it. Those on the far wrong like to level this accusation, but I very much doubt of there are more than a tiny handful of members of Congress who would oppose what they believe to be a good bill, just because the opposing party came up with it. Much more likely is the game that appears to be being played here, where one side comes up with a bad bill, not intending for it to be passed, giving it a name like “The Violence Against Women Act”, so that it can accuse the opposition, when they oppose the bill, of being in favor of violence against women.

You made one huge irrevocable mistake in your post. You assume the law was needed. Reboot and try again.

Two huge irrevocable mistakes.

He also assumed that the federal government has any authority or duty to meddle in state-level law enforcement matters. See the Tenth Amendment.

Much more likely is the game that appears to be being played here, where one side comes up with a bad bill, not intending for it to be passed, giving it a name like “The Violence Against Women Act”, so that it can accuse the opposition, when they oppose the bill, of being in favor of violence against women.

I mean what is wrong with having a law that specifically targets domestic violence and rape? Are the GOP for domestic violence and rape..? That is what they are saying by not backing this...

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Oh, and Joe Biden as well as other Democrats engaging in this cheap shot mentality should be ashamed of themselves. "If you oppose us, you are evil." Give me a freakin' break.

That's kind of how I feel about the whole "We are family the values party". Just a way of saying your opposition has no family values.

Biden calls house gop neanderthals
That is a horrible comparison for Mr Biden to make...
I would have given them Australopithecine status...
Neanderthals were far too smart, advanced and social to be likened to the primitive knuckle-draggers of the modern GOP.

Jus' sayin"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom