• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden calls for ban on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines

I don't think that Biden is banned from either platform, no. I assume that it's because he is intelligent enough to observe ToS. Some who held high office apparently had some trouble doing that.
some platforms are well known for blatant bias

some platforms are well known for blatant bias
It's easy enough to not sign up for a platform that one considers to be biased. I do it every day.

No one who claims to be conservative would be caught dead using Twitter, Goggle, or Facebook. Everyone knows that those platforms are for leftist filth exclusively.

So Trump wouldn't call himself "Conservative" ?

I beg to differ - and before being banned, he had 88 million followers on Twitter, I dare say most of them called themselves "Conservative" too.

It's easy enough to not sign up for a platform that one considers to be biased. I do it every day.
true but that leads to an interesting issue. Many lefties-including leftwing libertarians, say corporate power is as pernicious as government power. However, it is really hard to not deal with the government, and far easier to ignore a corporation you don't like

true but that leads to an interesting issue. Many lefties-including leftwing libertarians, say corporate power is as pernicious as government power. However, it is really hard to not deal with the government, and far easier to ignore a corporation you don't like
cool. Punkinhead can ignore FB and Twitter easily, then. that would be prudent, since he got banned from both.

cool. Punkinhead can ignore FB and Twitter easily, then. that would be prudent, since he got banned from both.
I would like to see those two nailed for campaign violations

I would like to see those two nailed for campaign violations

don't visit those sites if you're mad that they banned the precious because he couldn't handle the ToS. that'll show 'em.

there are millions of people with extreme political opinions on both Twitter and Facebook, and many are savvy enough to understand how to do it without getting banned from those platforms. some aren't. he wasn't.

don't visit those sites if you're mad that they banned the precious because he couldn't handle the ToS. that'll show 'em.

there are millions of people with extreme political opinions on both Twitter and Facebook, and many are savvy enough to understand how to do it without getting banned from those platforms. some aren't. he wasn't.
do you think that his status as a president, whose politics are not supported by the leftwing owners of those platforms, might have led to him being treated differently?

do you think that his status as a president, whose politics are not supported by the leftwing owners of those platforms, might have led to him being treated differently?
yep. they didn't ban him when they should have. he's banned now, though, so that will have to be good enough. he even has his own social media site now, so everybody wins.

No

He was banned after muliple warning were ignored and it came to a head when his social media posts lead to an insurrection riot that ended with people, including a policeman, getting killed.

Back in the cap and ball days windage did mean the difference between bore and ball.

That definition has fallen by the wayside and now refers to horizontal deviation of a trajectory.

So one is correct for the 1800s and earlier, one for the present.

And, Rich2018, you are the last person who should speak about embarrassing one's self.
I must admit even I did not know that, looking it up it counted only for smoothbores and stopped being used as that defenition a very long time ago. Looking it up windage was also used for wind adjustment at the same time, specifically kentucky windage.

Go on then genius, what the definition of the gun term "windage" ?

And no, it has got nothing to do with the wind

As I said, rarely do people embarrass themselves like you just did
You seriously need to stop digging....the hole you're in is dangerous deep already.
I looked it up you are specifically demanding the definition used during the 1700's as fled pointed out, even I did not know that as even the muzzle loading community never uses that term, as it was already becoming obsolete even when the land pattern rifle was in use and rifles using windage to adjust for wind was becoming commonplace over smoothbore rifles firing in volley.

Pretty much since common use of rifles windage became a term of countering the force of wind.

I must admit even I did not know that, looking it up it counted only for smoothbores and stopped being used as that defenition a very long time ago. Looking it up windage was also used for wind adjustment at the same time, specifically kentucky windage.
You were very correct about the paper wedding serving as a gas check though. Also the linen patches in a muzzleloading rifle work as a gas check.

Hell, it hasn't been that long ago that paper wads were still common in shotshells.

I looked it up you are specifically demanding the definition used during the 1700's as fled pointed out, even I did not know that as even the muzzle loading community never uses that term

I am well aware of the term...as someone who claims membership of the muzzle-loading community, so should you. Perhaps you might ask about windage when next you meet up with others from your community ?

In the army we used to say "adjust for windage" but the term only applied to the effects of wind, once the rifle/rifled musket was developed and ranges increased well beyond the 100''' for a musket like the Brown Bess
We were specifically talking about musketry and that term was well in use to describe the distance between the (spherical) musket ball and the inside of the (smooth) musket barrel

...it was already becoming obsolete even when the land pattern rifle was in use and rifles using windage to adjust for wind was becoming commonplace over smoothbore rifles firing in volley.

It remained a valid term until the musket ball and smooth bore were replaced by rifling and bullets like the minie ball around the 1820's-30's

Pretty much since common use of rifles windage became a term of countering the force of wind.

So what ?
That wasn't the original meaning
Neither was it the meaning of the word in the days of musket balls and smooth bore muskets - that we were discussing

Your acceptance of your error is less than gracious.

I am well aware of the term...as someone who claims membership of the muzzle-loading community, so should you. Perhaps you might ask about windage when next you meet up with others from your community ?

In the army we used to say "adjust for windage" but the term only applied to the effects of wind, once the rifle/rifled musket was developed and ranges increased well beyond the 100''' for a musket like the Brown Bess
We were specifically talking about musketry and that term was well in use to describe the distance between the (spherical) musket ball and the inside of the (smooth) musket barrel

It remained a valid term until the musket ball and smooth bore were replaced by rifling and bullets like the minie ball around the 1820's-30's

So what ?
That wasn't the original meaning
Neither was it the meaning of the word in the days of musket balls and smooth bore muskets - that we were discussing

Your acceptance of your error is less than gracious.
Yeah but we do not count your exact definition to a narrow point in history, fyi rifling had been well known since the 1500's, so that was nothing new.

The gap between the tube and ball could also be subjective as with muzzle loading the wad itself was usually wrapped around the ball and aided sealing, ultra snug fit's were absolute for rifles or else they would not grip the rifling or not seal. For smooth bores it mattered little as there was no rifling to create sealing issues and smoothbores were only accurate to around 50-100 yards as without the twist to stabilize them they would wander often violently off trajectory, which was why volley fire was used to give the shotgun effect as at such ranges the smoothbore could not achieve long range accuracy.

Sweet! That would take care of most issues!!
I bought it in 2018 to take care of just two issues: Moose and bear. I had been using a Mossberg Model 500 with an 18.5" rifled barrel for that purpose for 30 years, but it was showing signs of its age and needed replacement. The AR-12 is lighter, much more durable, holds more ammunition, and can be reloaded much faster. Overall, it is just a better tool for its intended purpose.

Yeah but we do not count your exact definition to a narrow point in history, fyi rifling had been well known since the 1500's, so that was nothing new.

A "narrow point" ?

Just how narrow do you think it is ?

Smooth bore muskets were used for hundreds of years - indeed the British Brown Bess musket was in service from 1722-1838. Over one hundred years
And it was this period we were discussing - the age of spherical musket ball and smooth bore muskets

You claim to be a member of the black power community?
I am not, in fact I've never even fired or even handled a musket - yet I knew about the term "windage" and you did not. How do you explain that ?

And yes, it's an obsolete term now, but was very much in common use before the rifled musket/rifle and the minie ball bullet.
Do you actually know what the great breakthrough was with regard to this invention ?

A spinning missile was recognized as being more accurate even with English longbowmen in the Hundred Years War - and probably way before that.

And yes. the British had a rifle in the Napoleonic Wars called the Baker Rifle and the musket balls were pre-prepared with a paper like material that was dried on to the ball to allow them to grip the rifling:

This was a technique used specifically for rifles though, of which there were few in the Napoleonic Wars.

You were very correct about the paper wedding serving as a gas check though. Also the linen patches in a muzzleloading rifle work as a gas check.

Hell, it hasn't been that long ago that paper wads were still common in shotshells.
I shot in a South American event, and the ammo was Russian. the Russian ammo was very good but it used horsehair wads. That stuff was nasty in terms of odor.

Was it with a Russian/Soviet built gun ?
no I was shooting a Perazzi Mirage. normally, at those events, you use local ammo. especially shotgun. (Rifle is very different). Normally, at big shoots, such as the worlds, there are several brands to choose. I was a late entry and all the Fiocchi was gone. So I used Baikal (Russian). it worked fine

A "narrow point" ?

Just how narrow do you think it is ?

Smooth bore muskets were used for hundreds of years - indeed the British Brown Bess musket was in service from 1722-1838. Over one hundred years
And it was this period we were discussing - the age of spherical musket ball and smooth bore muskets

You claim to be a member of the black power community?
I am not, in fact I've never even fired or even handled a musket - yet I knew about the term "windage" and you did not. How do you explain that ?

And yes, it's an obsolete term now, but was very much in common use before the rifled musket/rifle and the minie ball bullet.
Do you actually know what the great breakthrough was with regard to this invention ?

A spinning missile was recognized as being more accurate even with English longbowmen in the Hundred Years War - and probably way before that.

And yes. the British had a rifle in the Napoleonic Wars called the Baker Rifle and the musket balls were pre-prepared with a paper like material that was dried on to the ball to allow them to grip the rifling:

This was a technique used specifically for rifles though, of which there were few in the Napoleonic Wars.

The british brown bess is not is use today though, and even the muzzle loading community never uses that term, the only community that likely does is war re enactors as the term was nearing obsoletion long before the brown bess ever did.

Rifles were used long before the minie, what made the minie take over was the skirt, it made loading just as fast as smooth bores, as the lead skirt expanded and gripped the rifling rather than needing a tight fitting lead ball and cotton or linen wad to grip the rifling. However the rifle existed before the brown bess or land pattern rifle ever existed as well, just a sign the british were again behind the rest of the world.

The napoleonic wars were wars of numbers, britain and france much like the rest of the world were not using bleeding edge anything, but rather what they already had and what could be gotten cheap. Britain was still using smoothbore rifles, and france was still sending soldiers into battle with full plate armor and swords for their officers, neither side was an example of the times but rather an example of how both sides were even then grossly behind the times.

The british brown bess is not is use today

Really ?
You're not wrong LOL
though, and even the muzzle loading community never uses that term, the only community that likely does is war re enactors as the term was nearing obsoletion long before the brown bess ever did.

Yet I knew of the term and you did not. How do you explain that ?
Clearly the people you shoot black powder guns with are not as informed as you think they are

...the rifle existed before the brown bess or land pattern rifle ever existed as well, just a sign the british were again behind the rest of the world.

So what ?

The napoleonic wars were wars of numbers, britain and france much like the rest of the world were not using bleeding edge anything, but rather what they already had

There were many innovations during the Napoleonic Wars:

...Britain was still using smoothbore rifles

A smooth bore "rifle" is called a "musket"
What distinguishes a rifle is its rifling, NOT smooth bore. You really don't know much about guns do you ?

and france was still sending soldiers into battle with full plate armor and swords for their officers, neither side was an example of the times but rather an example of how both sides were even then grossly behind the times.

France did NOT have and soldiers in "full plate armor". French cuirassiers and carabiniers wore breast plates and helmets. The use of helmets was also not unknown in the British army - this pre-dated the issue of helmets a hundred years later in WWI, which also saw the re-introduction of steel body armor too...as did WWII and the development of (experimental). The development of personal body armor goes on to this day (albeit no longer made from steel).

Officers (and cavalry) used swords into WWI too
Remember that officers were not armed like their men, they carried weapons purely designed for self defense.

You might also reflect that the USA was issuing swords to cavalry into the 20th century:

Back
Top Bottom