• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden calls for ban on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines

Joe Blow is an idiot. "Weapons of war," are not available to the general public, except for certain 9mm handguns that are often carried as officer's sidearms and some of the combat knives that are sometimes used by soldiers. As for the standard automatic rifle carried by infantry, they're not available to the public.

But in this day and age "weapons of war" would mean drones and long range missiles as that's what's usually used in war. If you get close enough to the enemy so that you can shoot them, you're not doing it right.

And the AWB did nothing to stop shootings in the USA.

So you're saying that the general public can't buy sniper rifles or machine guns ?

Let's put the Democrats brain dead messaging in perspective...

Stupid Democrats:

1) Owning a rifle to protect you from the Government is dumb because the Government has F-15s, Tanks and nukes!

Also stupid Democrats...

2) A few hundred people nearly overthrew the government with bear spray and zip ties!

It would be funny if Democrats idiocy wasn't so dangerous.

Let's put the Democrats brain dead messaging in perspective...

Stupid Democrats:

1) Owning a rifle to protect you from the Government is dumb because the Government has F-15s, Tanks and nukes!

Also stupid Democrats...

2) A few hundred people nearly overthrew the government with bear spray and zip ties!

It would be funny if Democrats idiocy wasn't so dangerous.
my favorite is this

Anti Gun Democrats-crime and mass shootings are so prevalent, 100 million honest gun owners must have their rights ransacked to make society safer BUT

you are paranoid if you own a gun for home defense or carry one concealed since the chance of needing one is one in a billion

my favorite is this

Anti Gun Democrats-crime and mass shootings are so prevalent, 100 million honest gun owners must have their rights ransacked to make society safer BUT

you are paranoid if you own a gun for home defense or carry one concealed since the chance of needing one is one in a billion
My paraphrase of this is "if it's dangerous enough to need more gun control it's dangerous enough to carry a gun".

So you're saying that the general public can't buy sniper rifles or machine guns ?
A "sniper rifle" is any kind of rifle that fires a caliber that's good for long range and precision, such as 7.62x51mm, that's fitted with a scope. It can be bolt action or semi auto and it doesn't necessarily have to be a "sniper rifle" depending on how its used. Certain hunting rifles, when fitted with scopes and used to shoot people from a distance, can be called "sniper rifles" when used as such. Thus I don't like the term "sniper rifle," its just another term such as the term "assault weapon" which implies that the gun is always going to be used in a certain way that's harmful to the general public, another tactic of the gun control crowd.

But aside from that yes, such a rifle can be bought by the general public as well as a scope to go with it.

As for machine guns, they can be bought but only with a class III firearms permit and only if they've been manufactured in 1986 or earlier, so a more modern machine gun is not available to the general public.

Everything in our Constitution is subject to interpretation.
Yeah it'll be challenged in the judicial branch and probably get slapped down.

Picking some arbitrary number for the maximum capacity of a magazine, only for law abiding citizens or picking a gun based on arbitrary characteristics, doesn't have any practical use it's strictly political.

Please define your idea of "sniper rifle".
I have this Remington 700 bolt action rifle. It's a hunting rifle. With a pretty decent scope. It could certainly be used as a sniper rifle. 30.06 has plenty of down range power.

Hunting effectively is sniping if you're using a rifle.

I have this Remington 700 bolt action rifle. It's a hunting rifle. With a pretty decent scope. It could certainly be used as a sniper rifle. 30.06 has plenty of down range power.

Hunting effectively is sniping if you're using a rifle.
Sniping is an action, not a tool. Revolutionary was snipers used muzzle loading rifles to snipe.

As for machine guns, they can be bought but only with a class III firearms permit and only if they've been manufactured in 1986 or earlier, so a more modern machine gun is not available to the general public.
You do not need a class 3 license to buy a machine gun or any other NFA weapon. You just need to register it and pay the taxes. Class 3 is for dealers.

Sniping is an action, not a tool. Revolutionary was snipers used muzzle loading rifles to snipe.
I have a muzzle loader that could be used to snipe as well. Forgot about that. I'm better with that one with the right ammo than I am with the bolt action. Just no scope.

Really?

Then would you mind providing a quote mentioning "British Isles" ?

Not that it's important in determining the correct names from countries and organizations prior and post 1707....in the same way that it's not important that Mexico is part of North America when describing the Mexican Army

Because you've "proven" nothing
There was never a mention of "British Isles" in ancient Greece or Roman times...
And even if there was, it's completely irrelevant to the proper names from the people of what's now England, Scotland and Ireland or the proper names of their armies etc

All you're doing is demonstrating your ignorance and providing amusement that's increasingly becoming less endearing

France has never referred to "Great Britain", in reference to any country, before 1707

No it wasn't (not in reference to any country). In the same way that "America" doesn't refer to Greenland or Mexico, in any political context, even though they're both in North America

PS: Have you now given up on trying to prove that Romania was once part of the USSR ?
Poor rich in denial of history.

I have a muzzle loader that could be used to snipe as well. Forgot about that. I'm better with that one with the right ammo than I am with the bolt action. Just no scope.
You need a better bolt action ;)

The only issue they had was heavy ammo, due to the limited expansion of black powder, ie lighter rounds would get no extra velocity past a certain point but heavy rounds had minimal loss, so they sided with heavy rounds more often than not until smokeless powder.

The issue with heavy ammo was it's artillery style curve, they could hit dead on miles away so long as a proper sight was used, or the shooter understood the geometry. During the revolution and civil war, many rifles lacked iron sights and many even lacked proper sights at all, meaning proper range of accuracy involved the shooter not only understanding the ballistic curve but understanding enough math to compensate. The fact they could snipe at 1000 yards without a fancy sight to compensate speaks less of the rifle and more of the training and practice those shooters had, to be able to accurately hit their target with poor non adjustable sights at long distances.

You need a better bolt action ;)
Those old rifles were not a joke, The army did a test with the trapdoor rifle, basically an updated mod of the springfield musket, they found 2-3 miles was not only lethal, but a skilled shooter could hit their mark that far away, yes it required some heavy math like calculating artillery, but it shown even the ancient 45-70 in 405 grain blackpowder could be effective at sniping and it's limitation was the shooter and not the round.

More than anything I need more practice, and more patience.

The 50 count muzzleloader was fun to play with but you have to take a lot more time between shots.
I need to shoot up the factory 6.5 Grendel so I can start loading specifically for my gun.

Projection. Anyone who can read realizes you have lost.
Its almost sad how badly Rich is getting beaten and yet can't even realize it. Well maybe it would be sad if it didn't happen all the time. Now it's just funny.

Back
Top Bottom