• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden blames staff, says nobody ‘warned’ him son’s Ukraine job could raise conflict

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Biden blames staff, says nobody ‘warned’ him son’s Ukraine job could raise conflict | Fox News

Former Vice President Joe Biden claimed in a new interview that when his son Hunter was a board member of Ukrainian energy company Burisma Holdings while he was in office, no one informed him that it could pose a problem.

Biden insisted again that Hunter did nothing wrong, but this time appeared to fault his staff for not cluing him in that there could be concerns about his son's involvement with the foreign company that had been under investigation while Biden was in office and dealing with Ukraine policy.

"Nobody warned me about a potential conflict of interest. Nobody warned me about that," Biden told NPR in a story posted Monday.

State Department official George Kent addressed this during his testimony as part of the impeachment inquiry of President Trump, acknowledging that he told staff members there was concern over the appearance of a conflict of interest, but that no one told the vice president because his older son Beau was suffering from what was ultimately a fatal battle with brain cancer.

"They should have told me," Biden says now. Hunter's dealings and the elder Biden's role ousting a prosecutor looking into Burisma are being used by Trump and his supporters against the now-2020 presidential candidate, even as Trump's effort to press for an investigation into that conduct has spurred the impeachment inquiry.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If Biden could not see the conflict of interest himself he is way too stupid to be President.

I had thought that there were some concerns raised over the position that his kid was taking. Though I don't think it dismisses anything Trump has done in trying to leverage this for political gains.

When your coke head stripper impregnating son is bringing down millions a year from a Ukrainian energy company believe me you're going to be aware of it.

There was actually some controversy when Hunter Biden took his position, but it was mostly Russians who saw the appointment of relatives of US officials to Ukrainian positions as proof that Ukraine's revolution was an American and Western backed coup. I remember Russian posters on another forum in an uproar over it.

Biden blames staff, says nobody ‘warned’ him son’s Ukraine job could raise conflict | Fox News

Former Vice President Joe Biden claimed in a new interview that when his son Hunter was a board member of Ukrainian energy company Burisma Holdings while he was in office, no one informed him that it could pose a problem.

Biden insisted again that Hunter did nothing wrong, but this time appeared to fault his staff for not cluing him in that there could be concerns about his son's involvement with the foreign company that had been under investigation while Biden was in office and dealing with Ukraine policy.

"Nobody warned me about a potential conflict of interest. Nobody warned me about that," Biden told NPR in a story posted Monday.

State Department official George Kent addressed this during his testimony as part of the impeachment inquiry of President Trump, acknowledging that he told staff members there was concern over the appearance of a conflict of interest, but that no one told the vice president because his older son Beau was suffering from what was ultimately a fatal battle with brain cancer.

"They should have told me," Biden says now. Hunter's dealings and the elder Biden's role ousting a prosecutor looking into Burisma are being used by Trump and his supporters against the now-2020 presidential candidate, even as Trump's effort to press for an investigation into that conduct has spurred the impeachment inquiry.

If Biden could not see the conflict of interest himself he is way too stupid to be President.

Biden meant he was unaware of the problems involving Burisma. There is not a "conflict of interest" involving the father of a person who becomes involved with an ordinary foreign corporation.

For once we are in agreement. Though there has been no evidence he was involved in this alleged corruption - the conflict of interest was not a good look. There's little doubt that his position because of his contacts family and political contacts.

But can we talk a little more about those unable to see a conflict of interest being "too stupid" to be president? Because that's the situation we have with the current president whose businesses directly benefit from his position.

Or is it okay because he knows he's corrupt and doesn't care, So at least he's not "stupid"? I mean in this context there really is a bit to unpack here.

When your coke head stripper impregnating son is bringing down millions a year from a Ukrainian energy company believe me you're going to be aware of it.

Trump boinked stripper Stormy Daniels, paid her off then lied about it. Hunter, smoked crack, boinked Arkansas-born stripper Dallas in DC, impregnated her then failed to answer a court summons revolving around paternity and child support.

I'd say both Trump and Hunter have impugned any notions of Presidential-quality character. With regard to Trump, our electoral process in 2016 decided differently. As an aside, at least for me, Joe wears some of Hunter's stink.

Ultimately each voter makes his or her choice on who to vote for. Given a choice between Joe and Trump, I'd vote Joe. Fortunately, in the upcoming Florida primary, I expect to have a better choice option than Joe.... and I hope Joe does not advance to the General Election.

Trump boinked stripper Stormy Daniels, paid her off then lied about it. Hunter, smoked crack, boinked Arkansas-born stripper Dallas in DC, impregnated her then failed to answer a court summons revolving around paternity and child support.

I'd say both Trump and Hunter have impugned any notions of Presidential-quality character. With regard to Trump, our electoral process in 2016 decided differently. As an aside, at least for me, Joe wears some of Hunter's stink.

Ultimately each voter makes his or her choice on who to vote for. Given a choice between Joe and Trump, I'd vote Joe. Fortunately, in the upcoming Florida primary, I expect to have a better choice option than Joe.... and I hope Joe does not advance to the General Election.

Ultimately it's who's more crooked Dems or Pubs. At least Trump tries to make good on his promises you have to give him that.

I guess Obama's State Department didn't tell him either when they were coaching Yovanovitch on what to say about the issue when her Senate hearings were coming up, too.

Poor Biden. "It wasn't MY fault!!!" just isn't going to fly.

I agree. It still looks like Joe will be the nominee in all likelihood. It's unfortunate, but in the end, he is still 1000 times better than Trump, despite all the ridiculous gaffe videos of him or the sins of his son.

Ultimately it's who's more crooked Dems or Pubs. At least Trump tries to make good on his promises you have to give him that.

Clearly, when it comes to Trump making good on promises, I have a lot more cynicism than you!

On a positive note (admittedly reluctant to give Trump even a hint of credit), I woke up humming this song:

Every day Hillary Clinton or Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders aren't my president I celebrate life. Even if it means Donald Trump is my president as ridiculous as that may sound.

From 2014 when it happened...

The head of a watchdog group on government ethics said there was no inherent conflict in Biden’s job.

“It can’t be that because your dad is the vice president, you can’t do anything,” said Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.
White House says no issue with Biden's son, Ukraine gas company - Reuters

Biden meant he was unaware of the problems involving Burisma. There is not a "conflict of interest" involving the father of a person who becomes involved with an ordinary foreign corporation.

So despite the fact that Biden said that nobody warned him of a potential conflict of interest what he really meant was that ge was unaware of corruption with the company.

You know how silly it looks when some on the right try to claim that trump said isn’t what he really meant. Yeah well you look just as silly doing it for Biden.

So despite the fact that Biden said that nobody warned him of a potential conflict of interest what he really meant was that ge was unaware of corruption with the company.

You know how silly it looks when some on the right try to claim that trump said isn’t what he really meant. Yeah well you look just as silly doing it for Biden.

The corruption IS what you term "the conflict of interest". Why is that difficult to grasp? If Biden was unaware that Burisma was being targeted for corruption, and assumed it was like any other foreign corporation, he would not have reason to think his son's connection with the company was any different from an ethical standpoint than the many ties Trump and has family members have with foreign companies or that others similarly have.

The corruption IS what you term "the conflict of interest". Why is that difficult to grasp? If Biden was unaware that Burisma was being targeted for corruption, and assumed it was like any other foreign corporation, he would not have reason to think his son's connection with the company was any different from an ethical standpoint than the many ties Trump and has family members have with foreign companies or that others similarly have.

First of all I am not the one that termed it a conflict of interest. That was Biden. You know the guy you are now trying to claim did not mean what he actually said.

Just because you wish he didn’t say what he did does not me you get to just pretend he said something different. Well I guess you can pretend all you like just don’t be surprised that people laugh at you.

Like I said it’s pathetic when those on the right do this for trump and it’s just as pathetic doing it for Biden.

First of all I am not the one that termed it a conflict of interest. That was Biden. You know the guy you are now trying to claim did not mean what he actually said.

Just because you wish he didn’t say what he did does not me you get to just pretend he said something different. Well I guess you can pretend all you like just don’t be surprised that people laugh at you.

Like I said it’s pathetic when those on the right do this for trump and it’s just as pathetic doing it for Biden.

Whether it is termed "conflict of interest" or something else is beside the point. The point is that it's only wrong for Biden to have acquiesced in his son's membership on the board if he knew the company was corrupt or reasonably suspected of corruption, and that is what Biden says he didn't know. The inference in the article, and the inference you have parroted, is that mere membership on the board of a foreign corporation is itself wrong. I know this is hard for you but see if you can wrap your head around that.

Whether it is termed "conflict of interest" or something else is beside the point. The point is that it's only wrong for Biden to have acquiesced in his son's membership on the board if he knew the company was corrupt or reasonably suspected of corruption, and that is what Biden says he didn't know. The inference in the article, and the inference you have parroted, is that mere membership on the board of a foreign corporation is itself wrong. I know this is hard for you but see if you can wrap your head around that.
If what Biden did is right or wrong has nothing to do with what we were talking about.
We were talking about you trying to pretend he didn’t say what he actually said. Pretending that when Biden said he wasn’t warned about a conflict of interest that is not really what he meant is just silly. Sorry if you don’t like the way that makes your candidate look but that is what he said. You don’t get to pretend he meant something different just because you wish that is what he said. Try living in the real world.

I have not made any inferences as to the what Biden and his son did being wrong or not. That is simply you struggling to comprehend what you read.

From 2014 when it happened...

The head of a watchdog group on government ethics said there was no inherent conflict in Biden’s job.

“It can’t be that because your dad is the vice president, you can’t do anything,” said Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.
White House says no issue with Biden's son, Ukraine gas company - Reuters

1) That's a very partisan group that works aggressively on behalf of the Democrat party. Not that 'watchdog' groups don't play a valuable role, but they should not be taken as an unbiased source.

2) There may not be an 'inherent' conflict of interest in the VP's son being on the board of a company, but it becomes one when the VP takes action on behalf of that company.

But he was just following orders!

No - wait...

Oh!

Biden = A victim of coicumstance

:thumbs:

I had thought that there were some concerns raised over the position that his kid was taking. Though I don't think it dismisses anything Trump has done in trying to leverage this for political gains.
My thought is that you are defecting a thread that is about Biden to wahatabout Trump. Do try to to stay on topic.

For once we are in agreement. Though there has been no evidence he was involved in this alleged corruption - the conflict of interest was not a good look. There's little doubt that his position because of his contacts family and political contacts.

But can we talk a little more about those unable to see a conflict of interest being "too stupid" to be president? Because that's the situation we have with the current president whose businesses directly benefit from his position.

Or is it okay because he knows he's corrupt and doesn't care, So at least he's not "stupid"? I mean in this context there really is a bit to unpack here.
Another Buttrumper. This thread is about Biden and his son's there are literally dozens of threads about Trump not this one though.

Another Buttrumper. You guys can't help it can you? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom