• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden approves $350 million in military aid for Ukraine

he Biden administration did help Ukraine obtain a small number of stingers through Latvia and Lithuania, but the missiles came from the stocks of those countries, not directly from the U.S.
Thank you for confirming the OP. Do some more homework now and you'll find those were old first generation stingers and virtually useless against modern missile defense systems.
Biden just gave the okay for modern Stingers from us and that was after he wasted three days letting lawyers debate it. Remains to be seen if they get in the right hands before it's too late.
Thanks for the effort though. It's your first somewhat cogent post on the subject. Good effort.

Thank you for confirming the OP. Do some more homework now and you'll find those were old first generation stingers and virtually useless against modern missile defense systems.
Biden just gave the okay for modern Stingers from us and that was after he wasted three days letting lawyers debate it. Remains to be seen if they get in the right hands before it's too late.
Thanks for the effort though. It's your first somewhat cogent post on the subject. Good effort.
oh CS, I expected dishonest deflecting nonsense from you and you did not disappoint. In fact I'm somewhat surprised by the level of dishonesty. Lets review your lies and goal posting moving

CS original lie: Biden didnt send aid to Ukraine until after the invasion
Vern: President has been sending aid to Ukraine totaling over a billion dollars including javelins (with no putin approved trump restrictions) since last year
CS goalpost moving response: but but but they needed stingers
Vern: He sent stingers weeks ago
CS goals post moving response: they're old stingers (while ignoring that Russia has not achieved air superiority)

And as I've shown from your own link nothing was delayed waiting on lawyers. Just another lie from you. thank goodness we have a real leader instead of the putin puppet.

oh CS, I expected dishonest deflecting nonsense from you and you did not disappoint. In fact I'm somewhat surprised by the level of dishonesty. Lets review your lies and goal posting moving

CS original lie: Biden didnt send aid to Ukraine until after the invasion
Vern: President has been sending aid to Ukraine totaling over a billion dollars including javelins (with no putin approved trump restrictions) since last year
CS goalpost moving response: but but but they needed stingers
Vern: He sent stingers weeks ago
CS goals post moving response: they're old stingers (while ignoring that Russia has not achieved air superiority)

And as I've shown from your own link nothing was delayed waiting on lawyers. Just another lie from you. thank goodness we have a real leader instead of the putin puppet.
Seems as if all my opponents have left is “oh yeah , you’re just a big meanie and a stupid pants”. lol

Have a nice day children. It’s been fun.

CSM is once again covering himself in glory.

Seems as if all my opponents have left is “oh yeah , you’re just a big meanie and a stupid pants”. lol

Have a nice day children. It’s been fun.

poor comrade, I've not only proven every point I've made, I've proven you posted obedient russian/conservative lies. and you did it intentionally. anyhoo, thanks to President Biden, Nato is as united as ever.

Rice suggested that Biden has been able to "unite" NATO to push back against Putin's alleged war crimes to a degree that former presidents could not.

dont worry CS, this wont increase your workload tomorrow, conservatives wont know anything about it.

Anyway better late than never. Kind of embarrassing that Biden didn't okay US Stingers to Ukraine until after Germany did but he's a follower not a leader. Hopefully it's not too late.
"Exact timing of delivery is unknown" is not encouraging .

Sunday, February 27, 2022

US to send anti-aircraft Stingers to Ukraine

"The US for the first time has approved the direct delivery of Stinger missiles to Ukraine as part of a package approved by the White House last week.

The exact timing of delivery is not known, but officials say the US is currently working on the logistics of the shipment. The officials agreed to discuss the development only if not quoted by name.

The decision comes on the heels of Germany's announcement that it will send 500 Stinger missiles and other weapons and supplies to Ukraine."

Anyway better late than never. Kind of embarrassing that Biden didn't okay US Stingers to Ukraine until after Germany did but he's a follower not a leader. Hopefully it's not too late.

"The US for the first time has approved the direct delivery of Stinger missiles to Ukraine as part of a package approved by the White House last week.

The exact timing of delivery is not known, but officials say the US is currently working on the logistics of the shipment. The officials agreed to discuss the development only if not quoted by name.

The decision comes on the heels of Germany's announcement that it will send 500 Stinger missiles and other weapons and supplies to Ukraine."
Its almost like this is a European conflict.

oh CS, what drives you to post things even you know are false? You know we sent stingers weeks ago. Remember, you even obediently whined with no proof that they were "old stingers". And thats on top of the lies you started this thread with.

We should be playing a "helper but not leader" role.
Well as per this OP and my post on us following Germany lead you got your wish. We are not out in front on this by a long shot.

From the article cited in the OP - The White House has rejected the criticism, saying it has acted rapidly to provide more than $650 million in military assistance over the past year. Officials have also noted that President Donald Trump delayed a military aid package to Ukraine and never provided Stinger missiles or other air defenses, which require many months of training.

Democrats counter that given Trump’s record on Ukraine — he was impeached for delaying a lethal aid package for personal political reasons — Republicans have no leg to stand on in this debate.

The idea that Stinger missiles require “many months of training” is absurd. You can easily train someone to use them in less than a day.

Well as per this OP and my post on us following Germany lead you got your wish. We are not out in front on this by a long shot.
Yup ... and we should not be ... this is a European conflict.

For years, we heard bitching about Europe not pulling its weight with NATO. If those same people want this to be an American lead then, well then they are just speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

Better late than never but WTF was the holdup? Ukraine needed these weapons on hand in the first day of the invasion. Now it may be too little too late and actually getting these weapons in theater is going to be extremely difficult.

“Ukraine has been asking for Javelin anti-tank weapons and Stinger missiles to shoot down aircraft.”

Still wondering what was the delay I did a little research and found it was because as usual Biden is a bumbling indecisive ****ing moron.

“Biden admin carefully examining legal issues around providing arms to Ukraine”

“Amid widespread calls to help Ukraineresist a Russian invasion, the Biden administration is carefully examining legal questions about whether the United States can provide certain weapons and intelligence, multiple Congressional officials briefed on the matter tell NBC News.

Biden administration officials insist the lawyering is part of a normal review process, while Republicans in Congress — and some Democrats — have complained that it is slowing down what should be an immediate effort to ramp up weapons deliveries to Ukrainian forces.”

I understand Biden MAY have asked Zelensky for some political dirt on Ivanka in exchange for the aid. It's the new normal.

I do hope there is no hold up on the funds and aid.

From the article cited in the OP - The White House has rejected the criticism, saying it has acted rapidly to provide more than $650 million in military assistance over the past year. Officials have also noted that President Donald Trump delayed a military aid package to Ukraine and never provided Stinger missiles or other air defenses, which require many months of training.

Democrats counter that given Trump’s record on Ukraine — he was impeached for delaying a lethal aid package for personal political reasons — Republicans have no leg to stand on in this debate.
So, they perpetrate a lie, then used that lie to prop up their next lie. Good ole Democrats. What would we do without them?

For years, we heard bitching about Europe not pulling its weight with NATO. If those same people want this to be an American lead then, well then they are just speaking out of both sides of their mouth.
Tha

That's not an unreasonable perspective but I'd disagree.

Tha

That's not an unreasonable perspective but I'd disagree.
America doesn't have the right to lead in everything just because its America. We should only lead where it is appropriate and it makes sense to.

Oh yes the Biden strategy of blaming President Trump for anything that Biden screws. Remember what Obama said about Joey? Something to the effect Leave it to Joe and he will F it up.
Seems like a prime example here.

America doesn't have the right to lead in everything just because its America. We should only lead where it is appropriate and it makes sense to.
Any clue what this even means?
Babbling stuff just to babble? Goodness

Any clue what this even means?
Babbling stuff just to babble? Goodness
I will ELI5 it to you.

American exceptionalism should not enter into the thought process in terms of how the US responds to an international crisis that does not directly affect us. This idea that America isn't doing enough is based on that preconceived notion and also an overestimation of American power outside of direct military intervention.

Russia wasn’t invading when Trump was president so your “but Trump “ response falls on its face.
In the present Biden wasted time consulting lawyers instead of acting quickly and decisively . Russian helicopters flying relatively unmolested in Ukraine could have been grounded if Biden had sent stingers immediately and acted in a timely fashion. Approving these weapons now may be too little too late and they may never even get into the hands of Ukraine fighters.
Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania all have borders with Ukraine. Supplies are already filtering through Poland; will the rest follow suit?

I'm just going by history. Twice before we tried to stay out of it in Europe and eventually had no choice but to go all in after Europe ****ed things up so bad.

I'm just going by history. Twice before we tried to stay out of it in Europe and eventually had no choice but to go all in after Europe ****ed things up so bad.
I suspect this will spread to other countries within two weeks, but thats a different situation that requires a different assessment. Nobody has a crystal ball.

Oh yes the Biden strategy of blaming President Trump for anything that Biden screws. Remember what Obama said about Joey? Something to the effect Leave it to Joe and he will F it up.
Seems like a prime example here.

But Trump had his own problems with Ukraine, very little of which had to do with protecting it from Russia. Trump first approved the sale of $47 million worth of 210 Javelin missiles and 37 launchers to Ukraine in December 2017. Delivered in April the following year, they were not deployed to the front lines of the still-simmering separatist war. Under the terms of the sale, they were kept boxed in a military storage facility far from the front lines, where they were to serve symbolically as a “strategic deterrent” to Russia.

In the summer of 2019, Trump froze an additional $400 million in congressionally approved security assistance to Ukraine, an action that later became a centerpiece in his first impeachment. Based in large part on a July 25 telephone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that year, in which Zelensky expressed interest in buying more Javelins, Trump deflected the request and instead asked Zelensky for the “favor” of digging up dirt against then Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, and the Ukrainian business dealings of Biden’s son, Hunter.

Trump released the frozen aid when his action, along with a transcript of the call with Zelensky, became public.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/02/27/ukraine-us-arms-supply/

The Gullible Ones pointing fingers at Biden's actions following their Dear Leader's actions is laughable.

Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania all have borders with Ukraine. Supplies are already filtering through Poland; will the rest follow suit?
When I hear about our Stingers downing Russian helicopters I'll rest easier. Right now I have doubts they will ever actually get into the hands of Ukraine fighters. Hope I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom