• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden and our nation's younger generations

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
How is he doing among younger voters? Not very well.

"Joe Biden's recent job approval ratings, which are averaging 14 points lower than those early in his presidency, have declined far more among younger than older generations of Americans."

I mean...yeah. Young people who are on the right don't like Biden because they are on the right.

Young people on the left don't like Biden because he is too far right for them. A lot of young people support Bernie/AOC and believe Biden has failed to deliver a progressive agenda.

So he only really ever had support in the first place from the tiny minority of young moderates.

So he only really ever had support in the first place from the tiny minority of young moderates.
No, he used to have 60% support among the 2 youngest voting groups, which equates to much more than a "tiny minority of young moderates". That's dropped 20%.

Screenshot 2022-04-14 082559.png

I think it was the failure to get the BBB passed and the fact he isn't left enough that has tanked him with young people. BBB was extremely popular with younger voters who benefited immensely with it.

I continue to marvel that anyone thinks this kind of crap is a basis to run victory laps. Whatever his ratings, he beat Trump, and he only beat Trump because Trump was that bad. I told you I'd vote for a literal festering dog turd over Trump if that was my choice. Many who would've done the same said as much, even if using different words.

I think it was the failure to get the BBB passed and the fact he isn't left enough that has tanked him with young people. BBB was extremely popular with younger voters who benefited immensely with it.
Once again, these people are stupid. How is Biden to blame for republicans, who, like always, block legislation and do nothing but cause problems and then say "see, govenrment bad,"? its 50/50 now, and lets be real, manchin and sinema are republicans. They can't pass anything, even things that are fillibuster proof.

Where is the blame for the POS do nothing Republicans? And moron, shitty Americans are likely going to bring back republicans to cut taxes on the wealthy, stack pro corporate hacks on the courts, and do nothing but cause even more problems. And repeat the cycle.

This country can go down in flame for all I care if they go back to giving power to scumbag republicans. Deserve the Afghanistan this country will become

I continue to marvel that anyone thinks this kind of crap is a basis to run victory laps. Whatever his ratings, he beat Trump, and he only beat Trump because Trump was that bad. I told you I'd vote for a literal festering dog turd over Trump if that was my choice. Many who would've done the same said as much, even if using different words.

Biden won because of the media/social media propaganda blitz which was mostly lies.
It won't work twice.

I mean...yeah. Young people who are on the right don't like Biden because they are on the right.

Young people on the left don't like Biden because he is too far right for them. A lot of young people support Bernie/AOC and believe Biden has failed to deliver a progressive agenda.

In general, if you look at the world's liberal democracies, centrism is under attack. Look at France, for example. In a culture war, one side brings their generals and foot soldiers, and then the side that feels under attack wants to do the same - they don't want compromisers and deal makers, which is what Biden is.

The pandemic and its aftermath have been a time of extreme trauma and disruption, so the chances that a dealmaker and compromiser could satisfy anyone are slim. People feel attacked, and they want to counter-attack. They're in no mood to sit down to have dinner with the 'devil' sitting across the table from them.

To be honest, I think - always did feel - Biden was too old to be president. And there is such a thing. Trump was also too old. Hillary was also too old. People need to see energy when they see the nation's highest political leader. They need to see energy, optimism, pragmatism, adaptability. They need to have an understanding of history and how we got here but it's far more important that they recognize what contemporary thoughts and feelings are, particularly from the perspective of the people who are actually working and paying the taxes for the social security and medicare recipients and the generation that is just now beginning to step into middle and upper management roles.

I think if you're still young enough to have children just graduating from university or starting out in the workforce, you're probably still connected enough with that younger generation to have some perspective. If you're in your 50s or even your 60s, you're still working along side or managing people in their 20s and 30s - you can still 'get them' on some level even if you privately think they're snowflakes, don't like their taste of music, and get bent out of shape because they 'ghosted' you. But if you're a generation removed from that, meh, I think that's too old.

Biden, Bernie, Trump, Hillary...too old.

Biden won because of the media/social media propaganda blitz which was mostly lies.
It won't work twice.

Biden won because Trump failed to show empathy at a time when people wanted to see it. It was his race to lose. He could have, probably should have, beaten Biden not only in the EC but in the popular vote. He blew it by being an asshole when people were burying their relatives and friends with no end in sight. His fault.

I agree, it probably won't happen again, because I'm guessing Biden and/or Trump won't be the nominees in 2024.

Once again, these people are stupid. How is Biden to blame for republicans, who, like always, block legislation and do nothing but cause problems and then say "see, govenrment bad,"? its 50/50 now, and lets be real, manchin and sinema are republicans. They can't pass anything, even things that are fillibuster proof.

Where is the blame for the POS do nothing Republicans? And moron, shitty Americans are likely going to bring back republicans to cut taxes on the wealthy, stack pro corporate hacks on the courts, and do nothing but cause even more problems. And repeat the cycle.

This country can go down in flame for all I care if they go back to giving power to scumbag republicans. Deserve the Afghanistan this country will become
Biden promised he would get it done. Biden promised he could get the other Joe on board. The Progressive wing blamed Biden for not keeping his word. These young voters wanted BBB very much and to them, it was a real blow when it went down in flames. Might be unfair given Manchin wasn't going to budge but that doesn't matter, the buck stops with Biden

I think some may want to confuse disapproval with Biden with support for the GOP. There may be some of that but when it comes down to it this generation of liberal are going to stay liberal.

<sigh> Yeah, all that's true. But I think what Callen is saying, they're tired of the excuses. They just want the shit passed.

To be honest, though, I think the Democrats need to have a serious reckoning when it comes to their continued championing welfare state. Yes, I get that taking away tax credits for children in 'working poor' households is going to make them go from 'working poor' to 'shithouse poor'. But maybe a little bit of family planning next time?

And the whole college debt cancellation thing...I mean, I do think there should be some ability to resolve extreme debt but I think both parties need to come together to find a way to address post-secondary education and training. Just sending everyone to state university, encouraging 18-24 year-olds with no work history to take out as much as an expensive mortgage in student loans with no questions asked...that's a recipe for disaster. Sorry, it just is. But the left's answer is either "free education for all", which is not practical or "send everyone to college" and create a student loan, higher ed bubble.

Government has a role, but it can't bail their asses out of every hardship or challenge that comes up in life, and not everyone needs to use government loans to 'better themselves' in a university setting. I'd like to see a Democrat with some 'oomph' kind of drive that point home in the next primary. Clinton Democrats weren't bad for the party. And maybe now with the reality of inflation setting in, maybe we can have someone with some balls and charisma stand up to the Bernie wing of the party without fear or favor.

I think the country's character is the country's character. Politics is the art of the possible. The Berniecrats have made politics the art of the impossible.

It won't work twice.
He won in spite of all the republican voter fraud is more like it. :rolleyes:
What won't work twice is republican voter fraud.

<sigh> Yeah, all that's true. But I think what Callen is saying, they're tired of the excuses. They just want the shit passed.

To be honest, though, I think the Democrats need to have a serious reckoning when it comes to their continued championing welfare state. Yes, I get that taking away tax credits for children in 'working poor' households is going to make them go from 'working poor' to 'shithouse poor'. But maybe a little bit of family planning next time?

And the whole college debt cancellation thing...I mean, I do think there should be some ability to resolve extreme debt but I think both parties need to come together to find a way to address post-secondary education and training. Just sending everyone to state university, encouraging 18-24 year-olds with no work history to take out as much as an expensive mortgage in student loans with no questions asked...that's a recipe for disaster. Sorry, it just is. But the left's answer is either "free education for all", which is not practical or "send everyone to college" and create a student loan, higher ed bubble.

Government has a role, but it can't bail their asses out of every hardship or challenge that comes up in life, and not everyone needs to use government loans to 'better themselves' in a university setting. I'd like to see a Democrat with some 'oomph' kind of drive that point home in the next primary. Clinton Democrats weren't bad for the party. And maybe now with the reality of inflation setting in, maybe we can have someone with some balls and charisma stand up to the Bernie wing of the party without fear or favor.

I think the country's character is the country's character. Politics is the art of the possible. The Berniecrats have made politics the art of the impossible.
Agree with some of what you say but I think it was things like parental leave, affordable day care and environmental initiatives that young adults wanted in the BBB. I don't think that child tax credit was the deal breaker with them. Was student loan forgiveness in the deal? I didn't think it was.

I doubt the BBB had much if anything to do with it. I think with rising prices, inflation, the economy in general. The younger generations are feeling the pinch just like the older generations. We’re talking approval rating here. These young one’s may be dissatisfied with Biden, but they still state they’ll vote for the Democratic congressional candidates.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2022-generic-congressional-vote-7361.html

With these younger generations, low approval of Biden doesn’t translate into votes for GOP congressional candidates. Now what may happen, they may tend to stay home and not vote in larger numbers than normal. Time will tell.

You always have those on both the left and right where neither party is far enough left nor far enough right for them. But they will usually vote for the party’s candidates that is the closest even if they’re not happy with them. We only have two choices. The R and or the D. The bottom line, these two youngest generations aren’t about to ditch the Democratic Party for the GOP. Even when they’re far from happy with Biden. My two cents.

It won't work twice.
Biden won because independents grew sick and tired of Trump’s spoiled brat, childish antics of name calling, throwing temper tantrums along with his 3rd grade schoolyard bullying tactics. Biden came across to these independents as the only adult in the room. Hence, they voted for Biden 54-41 over Trump. I don’t think many of these independents really cared much for Biden, they were voting against Trump than for Biden. Biden happened to be the acceptable alternative to Trump. Fact is, anyone without the last name Trump probably would have done.

No, he used to have 60% support among the 2 youngest voting groups, which equates to much more than a "tiny minority of young moderates". That's dropped 20%.

View attachment 67385570
I was a little vague with my language. Plenty of young people "supported" him as an alternative to Trump. But he never had a strong base among younger voters.

1649950910537.png
In one corner, there are candidates that excel among younger people: Sen. Bernie Sanders is satisfactory as nominee for 70% of voters aged 18 to 29, which is over 15 percentage points better than his performance overall. On the other hand, he's at 39% among those 60 and up, which is 16 percentage points less than usual.
1649951102299.png

It's hard to capture from polls, but during the primaries Biden was fair unpopular among my peer. Even people who supported him the most common argument was "well Bernie can't win and we need to beat Trump". Hardly a fanatical Biden supporting position. After he won the primary many young people fell in line to support him against Trump, and many were excited by those first few days of executive orders.

But in general, young voters never "liked" Biden. At best he was seen as a pragmatic choice who could bring in some conservatives. At worst he was viewed as a corporatist shill by hardline Bernie/Warren supporters.

i pay special attention listening to my kid's friends and when they actually do make comments about politics/political things they're normally the opposite of what 2022 republicanism stands for.

the future is bright.

It won't work twice.

Really? Seems Trump used social media more than any other President.

Trump lost because he did not win over enough Independents and some Republicans. They did not buy into his bs.

IMO, youngsters (the less than 30 crowd), do not like partisan/party politics at all. We are finally seeing a generation or two coming up for a breath of fresh air; the D/R air is too stale for America to thrive on, and they know it.
Sure, there are a lot of the younger crowd that have been indoctrinated by their 'elders' that the only way to win an election is to vote party, but they are learning faster than the oldsters are leaving this planet, and the party politics they hawk.

Back
Top Bottom